Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I'll let you do the searching, but there's indications that those cases may be related to HPV / exposure to other viral pathogens. Because of this fact, I try to limit my exposure to second hand viruses (SHV) and believe viral outbreaks should be banned immediately.
If only there were some kind of Centre for Virus Control.... :D

Yeah, I've read some of the stuff that CarolT(I think?) posts. A lot of it makes sense. I don't know if EVERYTHING can be explained that way but likely a lot of it can. There's also the fact that we've basically doubled our lifespan, that's bound to lead to some unforeseen consequences.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If only there were some kind of Centre for Virus Control.... :D

Yeah, I've read some of the stuff that CarolT(I think?) posts. A lot of it makes sense. I don't know if EVERYTHING can be explained that way but likely a lot of it can. There's also the fact that we've basically doubled our lifespan, that's bound to lead to some unforeseen consequences.
In the bad old days women died in child birth (that's why people cried at weddings), there were all sorts of nasty diseases we don't see any more because we're better at making clean water and getting rid of bad water. Look at household cookbooks from the 18th century. It's amazing people could get on their feet after dinner. If you dodged that stuff you could live to a ripe old age without the crushing medical monster we've invented for ourselves.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
The "But I don't inhale" argument is one I get from my 87 year 'ol father.
I never bust his kahones about the 2 or 3 cigars he smokes every day, it's one of the little pleasures he still has.
But I do joke back at him and ask...
"but do you breathe while you're smoking that cigar"?

Fear, ignorance and greed will rule the day. Too bad!

Reactions: nicnik

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
My understanding as to why "premium" cigars had a potential exclusion is because the FDA felt a) children do not use them as they are too expensive and not really practical, and b) they pose a reduced health impact for various reasons (less frequent recreational use due to their high cost, no inhalation, etc).

Are there also political reasons, such as opening the Cuban markets, at play as well? Probably.

But, the cigar crowd certainly appears to be highly organized and vocal. I recall that when the FDA comments were open last year, there appeared to be a TON of comments against the cigar portion of the regulations, many specifically addressing what per-cigar price determines a "premium" cigar and claiming the FDA put that number way too high.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
My understanding as to why "premium" cigars had a potential exclusion is because the FDA felt a) children do not use them as they are too expensive and not really practical, and b) they pose a reduced health impact for various reasons (less frequent recreational use due to their high cost, no inhalation, etc).

Are there also political reasons, such as opening the Cuban markets, at play as well? Probably.

But, the cigar crowd certainly appears to be highly organized and vocal. I recall that when the FDA comments were open last year, there appeared to be a TON of comments against the cigar portion of the regulations, many specifically addressing what per-cigar price determines a "premium" cigar and claiming the FDA put that number way too high.
This is too funny. Folks who are serious cigar smokers smoke a fair amount. Wander on to any private golf club (well, perhaps don't; members might not appreciate it) and notice the number of people who smoke two or three churchills over the course of 18 holes. One Churchill takes about an hour to smoke, with plumes the size of sub-ohm clouds. With three, the norm at our golf club, they're puffing away between every shot. Ah yes, but they don't inhale, as one illustrious president once said ...

My vote is squarely on the side of economics/politics.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I was just reading the proposed regs again and found a puzzling paragraph. Can some explain to me why these products are exempt from regulation?
"The other co-proposal, option 2, is the same as option 1 except that it exempts premium cigars. The proposed rule would define premium cigars as cigars that are wrapped in whole tobacco leaf; contain a 100 percent leaf tobacco binder; contain primarily long filler tobacco; are made by manually combining the wrapper, filler, and binder; have no filter, tip, or non-tobacco mouthpiece and are capped by hand; do not have a characterizing flavor other than tobacco; weigh more than six pounds per thousand units; and sell for $10 or more per cigar."
If it's because of their cost making them prohibitive for minors, then shouldn't our mods, tanks, etc. also be exempt? I mean I don't know too many setups that you can buy for $10, or am I totally off base here????

Yes you're off base the reason is obvious. That industry had their lobbyists in the right place at the right time with the right amount of money to grease the right palms to buy themselves an exemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaraC and DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread