question: which 18650 battery for mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
This question is on battery, 18650 to be specific, for mod, not mech mod.

After a lot of reading, confusing, I think I get the idea. I currently have a vamo and a tesla, but it's doesn't matter. As long as it's a mod, then it's the same regarding what battery to use. Am I correct?

Now which battery is the best for both of them, best including safest. What I get from reading here is IM Li-Mn. The higher the mah, the longer it last, but first of all, choose the IM Li-Mn. Am I correct?

Last edited:

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Base on my experience with the current batteries I have, the effest 2000mah li-mn lasts me between 1/2 day to maybe a little longer, but not all day. The Panasonic 3400mah li-ion lasts me maybe a day (not night). It's usually out either in the afternoon, or evening by the end of the day. I guess there is nothing more than the 3400. The 3400 I have is the normal Panasonic 8650B battery, not protected and not the safe chemical.

Base on reading, I think the safe chemical is the best for what we use, not the protected. Am I correct? Is there such 3400 IMR safe chemical?

The panasonic NCR18650PD or the CGR18650CH are both li-ion. Is the safe chemical identified by li-mn?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Trustfire2.jpg "protected" battery that went into thermal runaway.

After experiencing a protected battery hard-short and venting/melting in a mech mod, I currently only use AW IMR batteries in both my regulated and unregulated mods. However, these safer chemistry batteries will also vent under the right circumstances. I recently put an 18350 IMR battery in my left pocket, not realizing there was some loose change in it (I never put change in my left pocket!) and soon felt the tell-tale heat from a battery venting. I managed to remove it, but to be safe I discarded it.

Whether you use protected or safe chemistry batteries, it's probably a good idea to also use a Vape Safe Fuse for another layer of safety. Batteries : Vape Safe Mod Fuse 2

Also, when transporting spare batteries, use a plastic battery case. Metal such as keys or spare change in a pocket or purse can complete an electrical circuit which can cause a battery to hard-short, leading to venting hot gasses, a bad burn, or a fire. Battery Cases

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Base on my experience with the current batteries I have, the effest 2000mah li-mn lasts me between 1/2 day to maybe a little longer, but not all day. The Panasonic 3400mah li-ion lasts me maybe a day (not night). It's usually out either in the afternoon, or evening by the end of the day. I guess there is nothing more than the 3400. The 3400 I have is the normal Panasonic 8650B battery, not protected and not the safe chemical.

Base on reading, I think the safe chemical is the best for what we use, not the protected. Am I correct? Is there such 3400 IMR safe chemical?

The panasonic NCR18650PD or the CGR18650CH are both li-ion. Is the safe chemical identified by li-mn?

Thanks.

The Panasonic CGR18650CH is similar to IMR and sometimes get called IMR. It has a safer chemistry too and is ok.
I personally recommend AW IMr, EFest IMR or Panasonic CGR18650CH. There are a lot of batteries out there - those three have good reputations and safer chemistry.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
arg... the more I read, the more I get confused. I thought I understand how to read batteries as li-mn is safe chemical, li-ion does not safe chemical. Now, you are saying the CGR18650CH has safe chemical while it is li-ion. Look like I have to start over again. How do I know if the battery has safe chemical?
Thanks.

The CGR18650CH is a hybrid, similar to IMR and also has a safer kind of chemistry. There's no need to over-think this - AW IMR are the ones recommended by the ECF battery guide. EFest IMR are also good, and panasonic CGR18650CH. Just get one of those.
None of them are meant to be thrown into a pocket with metal keys of course - they should be handled properly.

Last edited:

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
arg... the more I read, the more I get confused. I thought I understand how to read batteries as li-mn is safe chemical, li-ion does not safe chemical. Now, you are saying the CGR18650CH has safe chemical while it is li-ion. Look like I have to start over again. How do I know if the battery has safe chemical?
Thanks.

Proven long term track record.....AW 18650 IMR battery.....

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Roverboat, I don't understand your meaning. Sorry, English is my second language. Are you saying AW IMR is the best and should be the only one?
I believe his intention was to say that the AW 18650 IMR has been recognized for a LONG time as one of the bettery quality batteries on the market. The Efest and Panasonic varieties mentioned are newer batteries, and although they more or less test out as good or maybe even better in certain lab testing, the long term results are yet to be determined.

If you are still confused at this point, simply go with the AW IMR and be confident you made a good choice.

Strontium

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2012
Hurricane State
1. Safe chemistry - there is no safe chemistry in battery world.

2. IMR batteries recommendations (especially AW) are 2-3 years old. Technology is advancing at the highest speed. What was the best cell 2-3 years ago it is not anymore.

3. Go with brand name = Panasonic is the leader right now. High quality control which is consistent.

4. Forget about Li-ion IMR ICR INR NCR CGR - it is 100% confusion. Those cells are all under Li-ion name. You will never see brand name manufacturer to list their cells as IMR or Li-Mn. Chinese right now using it as advantage.

Just email your seller, and ask for datasheet. If cell can provide more than 6 Amps , you are good to go. Of course if you are not using subohms.

Warning--- Do not ever try to use cells by unknown Chinese manufacturers until you see datasheet (which you will never get probably).

Battery is an investment, and your quality of vaping depends on that same battery.

ECF became good place to get more confused.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
4. Forget about Li-ion IMR ICR INR NCR CGR - it is 100% confusion. Those cells are all under Li-ion name. You will never see brand name manufacturer to list their cells as IMR or Li-Mn. Chinese right now using it as advantage.

hmm the red label on AW is the manufacturers label and states clearly it is IMR.
panasonic also carries several data sheets talking about the safer chemestry of their Li- Mn batteries as compaired to standard li batteries. the only reason they canceled production is yield rates are too low. also they are made in japan and packaged in china. and the lable clearly states they are Li-Mn IMR with a 10 amp discharge.

some time on candle power forums will show you more about the batteries and who-what-why then you will ever need to know.

maybe im not reading this line correctly dunno. but in this and the flashlight industry these batteries are well known long before china was involved with marketing to vapors. and les then factual representation in the flashlight hobby forums leads to a loss of credibilty and no sales.

Forget about Li-ion IMR ICR INR NCR CGR

these are coding directly related to the peak and nominal amp limits of the battery on discharge. not paying attention to which model you are buying means you could easily end up with a battery with a 2 amp limit and then you will think your mod is broken when your trying to push closer to 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread