Questions about cartomizer/clearomizer/glassomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
Hi, I'm a starter in e-cig. I just can't know the exact difference between cartomizer/clearomizer/glassomizer. According to some website introduction, they said cartomizer has a cotton-like filament inside the coil to absorb the oil, on the other hand, clearomizer and glassomizer have a wick to absorb the e-juice instead of the cotton-like filament.
Is my understanding right?
And what is the difference between the cotton-like filament and the wick?
Are cartomizer clearomizer and glassomizer all rebuildable?
I'm so confused about these problem. And eager to find the answer.Thx

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
The cartomizers were filled with a Cotton batting, the coil/wick assembly was wrapped in a quilted paper. Wick was silica, coil was Kanthal.

Unless kept very moist, one hit & fried.
You could reload juice on most.

Clero,, no cotton. Coil/wick in a straw like tube. Loaded with a syringe.
Above used in glass to avoid tank cracking from acidic juices..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Is my understanding right?
And what is the difference between the cotton-like filament and the wick?
Are cartomizer clearomizer and glassomizer all rebuildable?
I'm so confused about these problem. And eager to find the answer.Thx

Hi viperyuan. Welcome to the ECF.

Your Understanding is Basically right.

But one thing that Cartomizer, Clearomizer and Glassomizer all have in common is that they are Not (per say) Rebuildable.

You just use them until they start to Taste Bad, then Replace the Cartomizer, Coil Head, or the Entire Unit.

If you are Wanting something that you can Rebuild, then you should look for something that Includes a "RBA" Section or has a Deck designed to Except Bare Coils/Cotton (an RTA).

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Like zoiDman said, most of those atomizers aren't designed to be rebuilt. Some can be rebuilt though. I and many others have rebuilt Kanger Protank coil heads and Eleaf GS Air coil heads.

The CLR coils that work in the Ego One range of tanks are, by far, the easiest to work on. You can easily pull the wick out, dry burn the coil til the gunk is burned off and put new wick in. Wrapping a new coil for them is easy too.

CLR_head_03.jpg

Reactions: zoiDman

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
Let's see if we can't get you more pertinent info. What device are you currently using?
Sigelei 213+ ELF2 atomizer.
After watching a lot youtube review, I think the shell of carto is usually metal(cooper,for instance) and cannot see the e-juice inside, unless you assemble a carto with a tank to build a carto-tank. On the other hand, clearo and glasso always have a tube outside to make the juice to be filled in.
Right now,my core issue is the wick material. In my opinion, cartomizer uses a cotton or a cotton-like filament, but clearo and glasso use silica instead. Then, If my atomizer uses a organic cotton wick, can I categorize it as cartomizer? Why most atomizer available in the market uses organic cotton, and I have never see a silica wick atomizer? Is organic cotton better than silica in oil absorption which makes it more popular than silica?

OMG ~~

STEELRAIN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Silica for the most part is a thing of the past. Ppl still use it if that's their preference. More often than not it will be cotton. Organic Japanese Cotton, IMO is the best. Although, if it came down to it, store brand 100% organic cotton balls work well too. Most devices nowadays are tank, dripper. (RTA, Rba, RDA) all are rebuildable. Which you prefer is of your liking. There is no "right or wrong".

When I started years ago ibwas just as overwhelmed and confused as the next person. Learning about your chosen habi, for me at least, was part of the fun. Trying new mods, tanks, drippers, coils, wicks and juice.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

But one thing that Cartomizer, Clearomizer and Glassomizer all have in common is that they are Not (per say) Rebuildable.

You just use them until they start to Taste Bad, then Replace the Cartomizer, Coil Head, or the Entire Unit.

If you are Wanting something that you can Rebuild, then you should look for something that Includes a "RBA" Section or has a Deck designed to Except Bare Coils/Cotton (an RTA).
Well, subohm tanks such as the Kanger Subtank and Smok tfv8 are basically clearomizers, even though they include RBA heads.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: djsvapour

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
Silica for the most part is a thing of the past. Ppl still use it if that's their preference. More often than not it will be cotton. Organic Japanese Cotton, IMO is the best. Although, if it came down to it, store brand 100% organic cotton balls work well too. Most devices nowadays are tank, dripper. (RTA, Rba, RDA) all are rebuildable. Which you prefer is of your liking. There is no "right or wrong".

When I started years ago ibwas just as overwhelmed and confused as the next person. Learning about your chosen habi, for me at least, was part of the fun. Trying new mods, tanks, drippers, coils, wicks and juice.

Thx a lot , really help me a lot. Totally agree that the process of learning is a big part fun of E-cig. However, I still have one more question:If my atomizer uses a organic cotton wick or a ppl wick, can I simply categorize it as cartomizer? And glasso and clearo only use silica wick?

Here's the definition found on Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
A cartomizer is a device that contains a cotton or cotton-like filament within the tank that absorbs the e-liquid. The liquid is then fed to the coils through this material and evaporates when heated by the battery.

A clearomizer, on the other hand, does not possess any such filament. Rather, the coils used with clearomizers have wicks attached to them. These wicks then absorb the e-liquid and feed it to the atomizer coils. Clearomizers also have large plastic e-liquid reservoirs that can hold various volumes of e-liquid.

Glassomizers, The sole distinction between a clearomizer and a glassomizer is that the e-liquid reservoir of clearomizers is made of plastic, while that of a glassomizer is made of Pyrex glass.

STEELRAIN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The way I look at it with current set ups is that cartos in large part (mainstream) don't exsist. The vast majority are Cleros(glasso). If you can re-wick its not a carto. The old cigalike (blu, mark10) use carto feeds. The filter (carto) holds the silica/cotton material and the heating element (coil). The tube (usually white or black) is the battery. While current Advanced setups (like yours) do not.

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016

Thx a lot. I thinks cotton-like/cotten/Ppl/wick all have the oil absorption function. But do they all look alike? Can you show me some pics of them? Are can cartomizer, clearomizer and glassomizer all compatible with E-go, APvs,MODs or E-pipes? or they have fixed collocation?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... However, I still have one more question:If my atomizer uses a organic cotton wick or a ppl wick, can I simply categorize it as cartomizer? And glasso and clearo only use silica wick?

Maybe this will help you Understand what a Cartomizer is.

Understanding Cartomizers

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
The way I look at it with current set ups is that cartos in large part (mainstream) don't exsist. The vast majority are Cleros(glasso). If you can re-wick its not a carto. The old cigalike (blu, mark10) use carto feeds. The filter (carto) holds the silica/cotton material and the heating element (coil). The tube (usually white or black) is the battery. While current Advanced setups (like yours) do not.
Then can I conclude that the difference between cartos and cleros(glasso) are not the material of wick, and they can all use cotton,Ppl, or silica. The core difference is the atomizer structure and Power they can provide,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread