Questions regarding first mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
I´ve been looking into getting my first mech, done research on some batteries and since i´m not going to do any crazy low builds i think i´m pretty good with a VTC5.

Here´s my calculation since i´m never going to go beneath .3 Ohms.

0.3 ohm -/ 3.7 Volt gives me 12.30 amps @45.64 watt.

Correct me if i´m wrong but the VTC5 has a continues discharge of 20, Wich would make this build safe, correct?

Also. What would your recomendations on a first tube be?

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Not really. I just want to find a somewhat reliable, first tube mod. :)

Isnt the vtc5 3.7 volts? Or have i missed some vital information here?
3.7 V is the nominal voltage. Peak is 4.2 V. This is true for most all LiIon batteries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I´ve been looking into getting my first mech, done research on some batteries and since i´m not going to do any crazy low builds i think i´m pretty good with a VTC5.

Here´s my calculation since i´m never going to go beneath .3 Ohms.

0.3 ohm -/ 3.7 Volt gives me 12.30 amps @45.64 watt.

Correct me if i´m wrong but the VTC5 has a continues discharge of 20, Wich would make this build safe, correct?

Also. What would your recomendations on a first tube be?
Steam Engine is your Best Friend

In the Ohms section figure 3.8v which will take into consideration voltage drop, etc.

Batteries the VTC5 yes is 20a, I honestly would recommend the VTC5A which is 25a. Also with tubes I myself build around 0.2 - 0.25 Ohms.

As for tubes the best/favorite 18650 Tube I own is the Subzero Shorty, I love that tube.

Savchambo

Moved On
Feb 15, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1

Savchambo

Moved On
Feb 15, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
Answered in the post prior to yours...

Calculate at max to ensure safety.

Oh really?? You must be the only person who takes 4.2 volts into calculation. On mechs we usually consider 3.7 volts as the optimum voltage taking he drop into consideration. [emoji58]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Oh really?? You must be the only person who takes 4.2 volts into calculation. On mechs we usually consider 3.7 volts as the optimum voltage taking he drop into consideration. [emoji58]

2+2=5 [emoji102]
If you're losing .5 volts, you've got a really terrible mod...

And, as stated before, I prefer to be safe and keep my face arranged as is...

Go ahead and build your low resistance build and calculate it to 3.7... and, I'll keep playing it safe...

While I'm at it, allow me to offer an olive branch... I've got a 40 Amp Trustfire I'll send you for free...

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC

2+2=5 [emoji102]
Some mods have vdrop that's not worth measuring. Measure by the battery, not the mod.

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
If you're losing .5 volts, you've got a really terrible mod...

And, as stated before, I prefer to be safe and keep my face arranged as is...

Go ahead and build your low resistance build and calculate it to 3.7... and, I'll keep playing it safe...

While I'm at it, allow me to offer an olive branch... I've got a 40 Amp Trustfire I'll send you for free...

No thanks, I'm good with the stuff I have. And yes Sony VTC5's with authentic Avid Lyfe mods. I'll practice what I've picked up and found to be safe. Kudos to you Sir for offering a piece of .... battery though. [emoji23]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Well he is not is he as it was my post.

4.2 is the sensible way to approach the calculation as it gives you the very top end of the amp draw. If you are using 4.2 and exceeding the batteries capabilities with that calculation, you are using the wrong battery. Remember, a batteries current capability reduces with use/age, so 4.2 is the figure to use, especially as the OP is looking for his first tube.

Reactions: KenD and MMW

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
Well he is not is he as it was my post.

4.2 is the sensible way to approach the calculation as it gives you the very top end of the amp draw. If you are using 4.2 and exceeding the batteries capabilities with that calculation, you are using the wrong battery. Remember, a batteries current capability reduces with use/age, so 4.2 is the figure to use, especially as the OP is looking for his first tube.

I have 5 mech mods and not one of them can deliver 4.2 volts to the atty. if I'm correct there will be some voltage drop from the mod, switch and to the atty so there is no way full 4.2 volts will go the coils.

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I have 5 mech mods and not one of them can deliver 4.2 volts to the atty. if I'm correct there will be some voltage drop from the mod, switch and to the atty so there is no way full 4.2 volts will go the coils.

2+2=5 [emoji102]

There will of course be voltage drop, but why take this into consideration? What you want to know is if the battery you own can handle the build you have. So use 4.2v as that is the absolute maximum the battery can deliver. Then, you know you are safe. Guesstimating with either a 3.8 or 3.9 as it has previous been suggested may be more accurate, but I don't see the logic at all when using 4.2 gives you the ceiling total.

Reactions: KenD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread