Questions regarding first mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Yup, The V2. Came with the atty and all. Heading in to my local shop in a bit for some new wire and batteries. Gonna vape on it for today and see what i think.

I was never a fan of the airflow on the RDA. Not the worst I have used, but far from the best. The deck is a breeze to build on though.

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
I was never a fan of the airflow on the RDA. Not the worst I have used, but far from the best. The deck is a breeze to build on though.

I like it, so far. Not having problems with it at all. I also got some vapemail today containing a Wotofo Phantom, A Troll and a Freakshow. Gonna try them out

Reactions: Ben85

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
The Phantom is a decent mod for the money imo. I only don't use mine because it's 22mm and I prefer the feel on the 24mm+ mods.

I love it, however i was just about to fire it up and i Realize i have no clue If the cell should be positive side up or not.... Can`t seem to find and answer on it either. I feel like it should be down in case of failiure but something tells me it should be up....

Skeintastic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2016
You can load a mech in either direction as long as battery wraps are in good shape and there is good Insulation between button and battery.

However, if you dent your negative due to the hybrid style connection to atomizer... Just be tricking careful. In fact don't. Just go positive side up. If you don't know you don't know.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
You can load a mech in either direction as long as battery wraps are in good shape and there is good Insulation between button and battery.

However, if you dent your negative due to the hybrid style connection to atomizer... Just be tricking careful. In fact don't. Just go productive side up. If you don't know you don't know.

Positive end toward atomizer.
Especially with a Phantom mech.
Do not put your battery in upside down.

This is extremely bad advice to give in a thread with "first mech" in the title.
If the threads happen to tear the wrapper when you insert the battery it will cause a catastrophic event that a new user may not be able to handle.
Just don't.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
I love it, however i was just about to fire it up and i Realize i have no clue If the cell should be positive side up or not.... Can`t seem to find and answer on it either. I feel like it should be down in case of failiure but something tells me it should be up....
Every video review I see for it shows the positive post of the battery aimed toward the 510 connection.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Read carefully buddy. Before you call me out on this one.

As I was blunt enough to say. IF YOU DONT KNOW. Do the smart thing.

I read your post.
It's a bad idea, and if you really know what you are doing you would know better.
I know there are a few mods that are "designed" that way and it's just asking for trouble.
Either way, its not recommended unless you like playing russian roulette with your wrap integrity.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Skeintastic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2016
Well. If the insulation is well designed. The button is designed so that there is only contact when actuated.

It's like any gain stage, if you follow it from point to point and you know what you are looking for you can figure out what mech is or isn't capable of being used safely.

Now. If you DONT know what your are looking for then the industry standard in design, due to the whole outer portion of the battery being negative, is to have the positive up towoards the atomizer to prevent a hard short as best as possible.

So. There. Say what you will.

Reactions: r055co

budd77

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
My first mech was a SMPL Mod with a hybrid or direct to battery connection. I've owned many mechs since that one and all have had a direct to battery connection. In fact I've never owned a mech that wasn't a direct to battery and I doubt I ever will.
Batteries should definitely face positive towards atomizer. Too much of a risk the other way. If you put a battery in positive up with a bad wrap it will just auto fire when the switch or attomizer is installed. If a battery is placed negative up with a bad wrap when the switch or button is pressed it will hard short.

Last edited:

Kotton

Jan 25, 2017
Also. I feel like I should say after looking the mod up. As far as a starter mech...

A hybrid style connection and no insulation in the tube? really? Venting?

Calm down there bud, right now im using the 510 topcap. It comes with both a Hybrid and the 510 top, and for now im good with the 510.

I`ve done my homework on mechs long before I got the ones i have now and spent countless hours on reading and learning about battery safety. On top of that i actually work with high power cables with an amount of power that would make a 18650 blush, so I have a pretty good understanding of what would happen if i do anything dumb with a high discharge cell that is positioned in my foodhole.

I just wanted to know wich way the cell should be put in the mod to be safe.

EDIT; I forgot to add that i`m more paranoid then a stoner around Crown Vics so when i do something for the first time i usually check, double check then check again. I always check my cells before putting them in my mods, regulated or not.

Skeintastic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2016
Calm down there bud, right now im using the 510 topcap. It comes with both a Hybrid and the 510 top, and for now im good with the 510.

I`ve done my homework on mechs long before I got the ones i have now and spent countless hours on reading and learning about battery safety. On top of that i actually work with high power cables with an amount of power that would make a 18650 blush, so I have a pretty good understanding of what would happen if i do anything dumb with a high discharge cell that is positioned in my foodhole.

I just wanted to know wich way the cell should be put in the mod to be safe.
Well, long story short... Unless you read a manufacturer noting that it is designed to be used positive down the industry default will be positive towards atomizer as that is safest.

Are we all happy now? Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread