Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1_gr8_underdog

Jun 23, 2015
Hello ecf members. I had a question, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction.
I have had this issue over the past two days. I use a kanger subox mini and subtank rba deck. With a .5ohm spaced coil. I refilled my tank with some local shop juice I enjoy. Had it set to 19.5w where I enjoy the flavor, hit the button and it spit hot juice into my mouth. I haven't had this happen before with this juice. I figured bad batch of juice. Pulled it apart re-wicked and refilled with a premium brand of juice. At 23.4w is normally where I enjoy it. It threw hot juice into my throat. It is now firing @10.2w the same as when it is at 25W. What Do you think it is wrong. It is now doing it with multiple tanks also. any help would be appreaciated. tia.

Edit. Coil reads .5 on box and .53on ohm reader.

Edit@10.5w it throws juice into my throat

Edit. Built a .6coil and its firing fine @23.4w no juice throw same juice same everything? Idk.
i have another question. Can a coil fail and still ohm out?

Last edited:

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Most of the time, juice spitting is caused by something in the heating element, not the juice itself. Sometimes if a juice is very thin it can exacerbate the problem, but IME this is mostly the fault of the coil, wick, wattage/voltage, or some combination of the three.

First of all, if the problems persist it would be worth buying a few stock OCC heads to try out, even if you don't normally use them.

Second of all, take off your drip tip and clean out the juice that has settled underneath it (and rinse out the tip while you're at it). If you're getting juice in your mouth there is inevitably going to be juice stuck there and it just makes the problem worse.

You don't say what you're using as wicking material, but with a Subtank I guess it's probably cotton. If I had to guess, I'd say you didn't use enough cotton and juice is flooding the chamber or you used enough but arranged it in such a way that the wicking holes were completely open. The little slits used for wicking don't exactly allow juice to pour in usually, but thin juice can get through well enough, especially if the cap isn't screwed down fully. If you happened to drill out those holes at all, it may be part of the problem.

Alternatively, some coils are just not great for no particular reason. I think most people who build have had at least a couple of coils that read correctly, heated up well, seemed OK on the surface but just don't work right. In this sense, yes a coil can "fail" and still read pretty much how it should. The fact that the coil feels like it's firing either particularly hot or just somehow wrong at 10ish watts leads me to think there could be something funky happening. It's barely worth trying to diagnose versus just building a new one, as long as you have supplies. In addition, the subox shouldn't fire with a fully shorted atomizer. Either way, if you've yet to rebuild the coil entirely, it's probably worth it if the problem continues.

That said, I do think paying close attention to the wicking material can help with a lot of juice spitting problems. In any given case, it's pretty likely to at least be contributing to the issue. In this case, your coil also sounds weird so I'm not saying it's just the wick. But even really experienced builders sometimes pull off a bit too much or stuff it in a bit too tight. Stuff happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread