Quick question for a zmax rev2 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
I got my zmax rev2 from madvapes yesterday, but had to get my batteries from another vendor so I couldn't power it up. My manual only shows 7 menu options. Could someone look at their manual and see if yours has this too? I'm hoping that Smokteck was too lazy to change their manual because I don't want it to be a rev1 and have to ship it back and wait for a rev2. I really want to get off these analogs now. I contacted madvapes but didn't hear back yet.

Are there any physical changes that would clue me into if it's a rev2?

Thanks

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Got mine from Madvapes today. It is version 2 with version 1 manual. The end cap does screw in better, hiowever, the spring is a little too long. It makes it hard to catch the threads. I cut about 2/3 of a coil off and straightened it back up. I also put Noalox on the threads. It screws together very smoothly now.

The other physical way of telling is to see if it has the 8th menu!

tippyclubb

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2011
Michigan
I just got my zmax today and when I ordered it they said it was V2 but come to find out its a V1. According to Pbusardos review he said if the menu on the zmax does not go to 8 its a V1. He said that is the only difference between V1 and V2.

My question is does having that 8th option really make a big difference? If so explain to me the difference.

Would it be worth me sending it back to get the V2?

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The difference is in the accuracy. On v1 you are hitting higher than the displayed setting.
V2 has RMS and is very accurate - what you set is what you get.
This will make a difference.

Here's a comparison between the two:Und sie bewegt sich doch! Zmax V2.0 RMS ist da.. » Mountain Prophet

The figures for the Zmax 2 are in bold black on the left. He compares volts and watts. The figures on the right are Zmax 1. You can see that on the Zmax 1, 3 volts is really 4.3 volts. 3 watts on the Zmax 1 is over 6 watts.

Looking at the Zmax 2 you can see its accurate, unlike the Zmax 1.

Yes, I would send it back. Just a note, the instruction booklets don't mention menu 8, but its just EAN which means mean and is the average (same as Zmax 1 setting), or ANS which means RMS and is the accurate RMS setting. If you click through the menu and it only goes to 7 then you definitely have version 1.
Get version 2. With version 2 you can use accurate settings, or switch to EAN and use the "beast" settings.

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
On most sites it says that the Zmax version 2 is just for use with a 18650 but here's the description of the Zmax from Smoktech.com saying you can also use 2-18350's.
Is anyone using 2-18350's or 7.4volts in thier Zmax?

The new ZMAX Advanced Personal Vaporizer is sleek, powerful, reliable, full featured and very well built just like its cousin the VMAX. With this new version, Voltage or Wattage is variable 3-6 volts or 3-15 watts respectively, using a single 18650 or two 18350 IMR batteries with an extender cap, (all available separately). Check atomizer/carto resistance and battery voltage too!
Here's the link directly to the Zmav Rev2:
ZMAX Rev.2 Variable Power (adjustable wattage), Variable Voltage APV by SmokTech - Stainless

The new Rev. 2 Zmax has one extra menu item (8) which enables you to switch between RMS and mean value voltage monitoring. The RMS mode is more accurate because it samples the output Voltage repeatedly while it is powering an atomizer or cartomizer. It is with these measurements that it is able to adjust for heat related Voltage drift.

This is from Smoktech.com

roberted5

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Missouri
On most sites it says that the Zmax version 2 is just for use with a 18650 but here's the description of the Zmax from Smoktech.com saying you can also use 2-18350's.
Is anyone using 2-18350's or 7.4volts in thier Zmax?

The new ZMAX Advanced Personal Vaporizer is sleek, powerful, reliable, full featured and very well built just like its cousin the VMAX. With this new version, Voltage or Wattage is variable 3-6 volts or 3-15 watts respectively, using a single 18650 or two 18350 IMR batteries with an extender cap, (all available separately). Check atomizer/carto resistance and battery voltage too!
Here's the link directly to the Zmav Rev2:
ZMAX Rev.2 Variable Power (adjustable wattage), Variable Voltage APV by SmokTech - Stainless

The new Rev. 2 Zmax has one extra menu item (8) which enables you to switch between RMS and mean value voltage monitoring. The RMS mode is more accurate because it samples the output Voltage repeatedly while it is powering an atomizer or cartomizer. It is with these measurements that it is able to adjust for heat related Voltage drift.

This is from Smoktech.com

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

I don't know what sites you're looking at, but any site I've seen says you can use 1x 18650 or 2x 18350. Those who have tested it have tested it with both battery configurations. Both the Zmax 1 and Zmax 2 can be used with one 18650 or two 18350s.
And yes, Zmax 2 has an 8th menu for RMS which means the settings are accurate with the value displayed.

Watch this, it answers all the questions you've asked: A PBusardo Review - Smoktech Z-Max V2 - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread