Quickie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have looked around and I still have a few questions....:confused:

What is dripping?
Why do some tanks crack? (and how to avoid that)
What is a mod?
What & where is a coil, and when do I need to change it and how?

I just purchased the MVP 2.0, will I need to do the coil thing? and what kind of tank should I purchase for use with it?

Thank you!

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Hi!

Can't believe no one's answered yet.

1) Dripping is when you have a basic atomizer that you drip your juice directly onto to get the vapor. Some atomizers look like the cartridges from a cig-a-like like a Blu, but with no filling. Like this:

download (7).jpg

Others are 'rebuildable', meaning the coil is exposed on a flat "deck" that you can make your own coil and wick (for more advanced users):

rda_coil.jpg

2) Heavy citrus and cinammon are known to crack tanks. The composition of the flavorings (likely oils) create a chemical reaction and weaken the plastic.

Here is a good list from one vendor who lists all the kinds of flavorings that can do this. To avoid it, look for pyrex tanks, or drip. :)

E Juice that may break a plastic tanks | Mt Baker Vapor WikiMt Baker Vapor Wiki

3) "Mod" started out as a term for PV's that were made of re-purposed materials, like flashlights, plastic boxes (of any kind), etc. Then, when people modified existing PV's to get a better vaping experience, these were also called "mods". Mechanical mods are now a niche in the PV world, and are considered to be any kind of PV which uses a separate battery and has no (or few) electronic parts.

I have seen many people referring to things like ego's and itaste's as "mods", so the language seems to be evolving. I have a hard time seeing my iTaste as a "mod", because nothing has been modified, it has an integral battery, and lots of electronics. C'est la vie.

4) Hopefully the illustration on the dripping atomizers will help you with this.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I'm going to edit the pics so that hopefully you can see them better. BRB!

Attachments

• images (28).jpg
    images (28).jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 11
  • download (6).jpg
    download (6).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
510 Atomizer, 510 Atomizers | MadVapes This is an atomizer that you drop a few drops of liquid in and vape for a few minutes. I use these to test new flavors I make. There are many different types but this is just an example. I vape heavily all day so it would drive me nuts using it full time.

Polycarbonate tanks are notorious for cracking with certain flavors due to a chemical reaction with citrus/cinnamon type flavors. There is a list of tank cracker juices here I'm sure someone will post. Most prefer glass tanks so no problems there.
When I first started vaping there were only the small 3 piece cig-alikes and more advanced people started building them out of flashlight and other tubes that they were modding, today just about anything with rechargeable batteries or vv/vw is called a mod.

The coil is in the atomizer and depending on the type you use it will get gunked up from the juice eventually, some quicker than others. Usually dark sweet juices gunk them up faster. They can be rebuilt or replaced fairly cheap, since you just by the head that holds the coil.

A lot of people are using protanks these days since they are glass and have cheap replaceable coils.

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
OK, I have looked around and I still have a few questions....:confused:

What is dripping?
Why do some tanks crack? (and how to avoid that)
What is a mod?
What & where is a coil, and when do I need to change it and how?

I just purchased the MVP 2.0, will I need to do the coil thing? and what kind of tank should I purchase for use with it?

Thank you!

Dripping is just what it sounds like. They drip a few drops onto/into a coil and take a few hits, drip some more, hit, drip. There is no tank to hold the liquid.

Polycarbonate tanks react to the flavors in citrus, menthol, and some other strong flavorings. The tank will cloud, crack or even melt. Glass/Pyrex, stainless steel and polypropylene don't seem to have the problem.

A mod is basically anything other than the original cig-a-like type e-cigarettes. Some people only refer to the flashlight & box type vaporizers as mods, though. Mechanical or mech mods don't have any lcd screens or voltage/wattage adjustment.

The coil is the part that heats up. It will be inside a cartomizer which is disposable so you won't have to do anything other than replace it. In a clearomizer, most are replaceable but a few are not and they come in top coil, bottom coil, and dual bottom coil. They also come with long wicks, short wicks and hidden wicks. The coil is inside the tank and is usually removed by unscrewing the bottom of the tank if it is replaceable. In a dripper, the coil usually looks like the spring out of a ball point pen with a wick stuck through the center. The user drips onto the coil/wick, fires the device and inhales the vapor. There is also a device called a carto tank which is a cartomizer inside of a tank like a clearomizer. The carto acts as the coil/atomizer inside the carto tank. It will have at least 1 hole in it to draw in the liquid from the tank. The coil is hidden inside the carto and surrounded by filler material.

You can use any of the above on your MVP. I started with an iClear 16 (top coil, long wick clearomizer) and an EVOD (bottom coil) clearomizer. The top coil devices will seem to be a warmer vapor because your lips are closer to the coil.

Will you want to change flavors often? If yes, you'll want a bottom coil device or several toppers to use different flavors in.

Any 510 or ego threaded topper will fit on your MVP without an adapter. It's hard to find a topper that isn't 510 or ego threaded. If you can afford it, I would try a few different types to find the one or two that work best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread