Quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

loganfl22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Lakeland, FL, USA
I take it you are thinking about vaping? If you want an opinion Ill give you mine. It works its still a little tough in the beginner but way way easier than cold turkey or the patch. It took me 3 days to switch completely to vaping and I love it. If you need any recommendations feel free to ask. Right off the bat I would suggest not to try the ones at convenient stores, most not all seem not to perform very well. But were all here to help you so feel free to fire away if you have any questions.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf Lomaniy. Nice to meet you and so glad you are here. I can tell you that I had given up on ever being a non-smoker. I only bought a kit because it was a Groupon deal and I thought it would help me save some money on cigarettes. I did both for a while and honestly, I quit smoking because my cigarettes started tasting nasty and I enjoyed the flavors of vaping. I tried gums, patches, Wellbutrin, Chantix and even stuffing straws with cotton to give me something to puff on. Nothing but vaping has ever helped me. I slowly decreased the amount of cigarettes a day and I only did that because I didn't want to waste the carton I had already purchased. By the time I got down to that one cigarette a day. I almost dreaded it. When I switched to vaping full time, there was absolutely no cravings, urges, or temptations to smoke. There was never any physical withdrawal because I started with a high nic juice. I am still on a high nic juice and it doesn't bother me. Just as soon as I quit smoking, it did not take long at all to start feeling the benefits.

You will find so much information here on ecf and it is wonderful to have a reliable site to find everything you need to know but I also want you to realize that ecf is a huge support group and you will never be alone. We're all right there with you. That is what makes ecf such a special place. I wish you well and look forward to reading more about you and your successful journey to becoming smoke-free.

dwolf907

Jan 16, 2015
Alaska
It's difficult, for some. I've smoked for 8 years and I'm 22. About a month ago my brother pressured me into vaping, and to quit smoking. I went from a pack and a half a day to a pack every 4-5 days. And I'm on my way to 0 packs soon. Honestly, I love vaping. The hundreds of different flavors, the health benefits compared to smoking, the sweet smells unlike nasty cigarettes. The list of pros go on. I encourage you to vape. Like my brother says, "vape more, smoke less". You can do it!

JPHowell

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Kansas
Welcome to ECF. Definitely go for vaping. I smoked 2 pks. a day for 52 years. Tried patches, chantix, hypnotism and nothing worked. Started vaping and no longer smoke cigs. After only three months I had my semiannual medical check up. Didn't tell the Dr. I had quit smoking cigarettes but when he did the routine "take a deep breath" exam to listen to the lungs, he had me do it 4 or 5 times. He backed up, looked me in the face and ask, "have you quit smoking ?' I was very proud to answer him yes. He said my lung function had definitely improved. Now been vaping for 6 months and will never go back.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Welcome to ECF,

Ecigs will work but remember like anything else its nothing more then a tool to "Help" quit smoking, its not a one stop fix all and will not work unless you have the will power to make it so.

Most associate Nicotine with the reason that they smoke, that would actually be pretty far from the truth. Big Tobacco companies have publically admitted to putting additives in the tobacco to increase addiction. The chemicals you'll be getting off of are the hardest to break truthfully, when I quit I still went through the mild side effects of quitting ( Night sweats, nervousness, stress, increased blood pressure and insomnia). I know for sure that they were not nearly as bad as they would have been using other methods like the patch or gum and surely not as bad as cold turkey. Keep in mind I didn't do the ramp down system to quit, I threw away the pack and picked up the ecig so there was no gradual decrease (this is the recommended method I believe for most is the gradual ramp down to the ecig).

Just keep with it and keep the faith you can switch over, then slowly drop the nic levels to single digits and eventually 0 if you choose. Either way ECF is a great support community of folks that want to see you health and off those Big Tobacco Cancer sticks that your on.

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
Welcome. I quit analogs and started vaping just over a year ago. Slowly advanced to better equipment as time went by. Now building my own coils and mixing my own liquid. It takes some dedication. Sure is a lot easier to pull a smoke out of a pack and light it up. But if you follow through, you will be amazed at how much better you will feel after awhile. Good luck. A lot of support can be found at this site.

HD

Lagrik

Jan 11, 2015
Chicago, IL
Let me give you my experience. I started vaping 11 days ago which is the last time I had an analog (cigaratte). It'll take you some attempts to find the setup and liquid that will work for you. I initially spent money on a propietary system called the V2 Pro Series 3. I have since started reading these forums and learning a lot and got an istick with an Aspire Mini Nautilus. Great setup, even for the beginner.

The downside tot he V2 Pro Series 3 being propiterary is that you cannot switch out parts with other vendors and the tank they use is Polycarbonite. Polycarbonite tanks can often crack/have issues if used with certain liquids (ingredients). The Mini Nautilus is a glass tank which doesn't have this issue.

As far as my road to quit smoking. So far so good. I started off with a liquid that had 24mg of nicotine. It's too strong. Gives me too harsh of a throat hit. I have now that 18mg is perfect for me. There's also VG/PG l iquid ratios that all liquids have. I tried a liquid that was 90VG (VG is not what gives you throat hit, PG is) and I didn't get the throat hit sensation that I needed to help me keep going on quitting.

So all in all, you'll need to find the nicotine level that works for you (nicotine level also has a big impact on throat hit) as well as the PG/VG ratio to get you the nicotine level and the throat hit. I'd try to stick to liquids that have a 50/50 PG/VG ratio, or 70/30 PG/VG ratio or somewhere right around that level.

I am a smoker, a long history of smoking and now I want to quit smoking!
it has seriously affected my health!

Welcome! I just joined a couple of days ago myself. :) I will go as far as to say it will be EASY to quit smoking if you start vaping. The trick is to make sure you are getting the right gear and the right level and flavor of juice. I don't know if you have tried the cigalikes like Blu or Vuze, but if you have not, just skip that step. For most of us vapers who have tried them, they were a good transition but you wont like them after a week or so, maybe less. I couldnt go more than a few days with Blu. Then the next step is a simple Ego starter kit or just an Ego battery set and a clearomizer and some juice. Initially, you will spend about $40-$50 to get started.

I cant speak for anyone but myself, but I smoked for 35 years, averaging a pack a day over the years (sometimes half a pack, sometimes two). Last October 2014, I tried my first Ego with tobacco flavor and for three days I vaped and also smoked a few cigs. By day three, I didnt want the cigs anymore. :) But the real kicker is when you try flavors. Analog cigarettes cant give you anything like them. I havent had or wanted a cigarette since October. Start with 18% nicotine percent if you were a moderate smoker, and you wont still crave after vaping. They have a 24% too. But 18% is good to start. Then drop if you want.

This place is a gold mine of information, support and testimonials and genuinely friendly people. Just DO IT!

sgobots

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2014
Berlin, Maryland
I started with the istick/nautilus mini combo. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the ipv mini, which I purchaced the next week. It gives you a little more room to grow and it's only about $20 more. The Aspire Atlantis tank will work one it and that gave me a hit closer to an analog than the nautilus us did.

Either way, life with vaping has been great so far and Tuesday will be one month smoke for me!

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread