Quitting vaping questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

crixer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
Atlanta
I couldn't find what I was looking for using the search feature. I had a few questions about quitting vaping. I vaped from 2008-2013, went back to cigs, and started vaping again 2.5 months ago. I am not planning on quitting vaping anytime soon but was curious about the following:

How bad are the withdrawal symptoms of stopping at 12mg 4-5ml per day ( I know everyone is different, just looking for anyone's past experience)
How bad are the withdrawal symptoms compared to analogs?
How long do the withdrawal symptoms last?
Anything different in the withdrawal from quitting vaping vs quitting analogs?

Quitting analogs is impossible for me. I just can't do it at this point in my life if I couldn't vape. It sucked that first week switching to vaping only but after 3 days it was okay (I was chain vaping like I stole it).

Now if I were to have an analog, even just one, I will be cranky and miserable for a couple of days afterwards.

Anyway, thanks for reading and would like to hear anyone's opinion/stories.

thanks!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
If it's been a good while -- like, a year -- since ditching cigarettes, there probably won't be any really significant physical symptoms -- maybe a headache, similar to caffeine withdrawal. Maybe some constipation -- nicotine stimulates the rhythmic movements of the colon -- but some fiber can fix that.

But that's physical. Changing behavior is a whole different kettle of fish, and may take many years to really get rid of "cravings". Most of why vaping is so great for smoking cessation is because the behavior feels so similar -- I guess I have to wonder, why worry about quitting something that doesn't hurt you, if it keeps you happily off cigarettes? Drop the nic if you think that's hurting you, it probably won't give you any trouble -- I've dropped mine by 50%, and barely even noticed.

Andria

crixer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2011
Atlanta
Thanks AndriaD, I live close to you lol, I actually have a house in Lawrenceville. I am happy vaping, it isn't a health concern. I do know that at some point I am going to want to quit and just not fiddle with anything anything anymore. When I smoked I drank coke. I always had a 20ounce with me for smoke breaks. Since quitting, I stopped drinking cokes without thinking about it. I had the withdrawal headaches for a couple of days. I was never a coffee guy so it didn't really bother me. If quitting vaping is like that, I can handle that. Quitting smoking is a whole different story. I loved it. I like vaping because it is like quitting but not actually quitting :)

I have the same paranoia that all vapers have hiding somewhere in the back of their minds. "Is there going to be some unknown health risks from vaping years down the road?" I try not to think about it and I just listen to my body now. Analogs were killing me. I feel 100000% better switching to vaping. That is worth whatever risk may arise later on. I think for the it won't be much of a big deal. I mouth to lung inhale and I don't sub-ohm vape 120ml per week high watts.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yeah I'm a total tootle puffer. :D The only thing that gives me any reason to think I might want to quit vaping eventually is that I have asthma -- if I ever can get to a point where quitting vaping won't send me straight back to cigarettes, then I very well might. Or, if I could get to a point where I just vape casually because I enjoy it, instead of all the time because I have to, that would be good too. But I vape only about 5mg, less than 5ml per day, so I won't worry too much, just enjoy FINALLY! being free of those stupid coffin nails! :thumb:

I cut down my caffeine by about 80% after I started vaping; I've had a lot of problems with dehydration for many years, and vaping just pushed me over the edge to serious electrolyte imbalance; knocking off 80% of the caffeine and adding coconut water daily pretty much takes care of both dehydration and the electrolyte problems.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
I had a terrible cold last week, one of the days I didn't vape at all. I had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.

While smoking forty+ years, it didn't matter if I was on a deathbed, I always smoked.

Personally, I don't believe nicotine is addictive.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I tried quitting a 12mg, 4-5ML per day vaping habit cold turkey. It was absolute hell and felt no different than when I tried to stop chewing tobacco. I went back to vaping, obviously. I tried again by tapering down the nic content of the juice from 12, to 6, to 3, to 1.5 and then I tried 0 a few times and went back to 1.5, bounced back and forth a little and finally went for the 0mg hard and found, at that point, I could do it. And I did. I don't vape at all any more but you seem to be wondering if the nicotine in vape is somehow less addictive and if it has less withdrawal symptoms. It doesn't. Its just as bad in my experience. Certainly far worse than not having your morning coffee. That's the most idiotic and dishonest thing I've read all week, however its only Monday so I'm sure some of you can easily top that.
If you really want to know, just stop vaping for a couple days and you'll find out. I expect after about 4 hours that's when you will tell yourself, "Oh forget it. I just don't want to quit". Mhmm, sure. Make it a whole day without a vape or any nic and you're pulling your damn hair out.

JohnTheVapist

Jan 21, 2016
New Zealand
For some nicotine withdrawal is like giving up coffee, and for me it's like a brain hemorrhage but at some stage it becomes manageable and the dependence wears off with all the usual symptoms of starving yourself of a substance.
I read this thread because I am looking for a break from vaping just to ease up on unesscesary expenditure in a conscious effort to apply minimalism to my financial situation at the moment so thanks for sharing. Please do continue.

Reactions: Hakunta

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I am down to 3mg and 1.5mg in my juice. I have started to notice that I forget vaping sometimes. I think that is a good thing. For example, when I get back to my car at Walmart, I am more concerned about getting out of the parking lot safely. I just noticed that that thought came first. Even after spending a couple of hours inside.

Hopefully, it will continue as I switch fully to 1.5mg.

Reactions: Hakunta

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If I wanted to stop vaping (which I have NO desire to do!) I would try to taper off the nicotine level slowly, perhaps by 1mg / month. I don't think dropping nic "cold turkey" would ever work for me. Some people here say they sometimes forget to vape. Well, their brains must be wired differently than mine. ;)

Brewer26

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
NY
Well I'm currently on my 4th day abstaining from vaping. I was a pack a day guy for about 10 years or so before vaping.

In my opinion it is much much easier to stop vaping then it was smoking. Don't get me wrong, nicotine is nicotine and it is certainly an addictive substance. But! It's not that addictive. The withdrawal symptoms are slight and don't last long. What made the cigarette so hard to break I think is all the other crap they put in it that makes it more addictive than just the nicotine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I ike the feeling of nicotine but I made some 0% nic and vaped it for a while until the effects of nicotine were fading noticably. I wasn't jonsing for the nic, I was missing the throat hit.

I don't know if I would be suseptible to smoking again if I stopped vaping but I can smoke a cigarette with no danger of relapse because I find it unpleasant and altogether less satisfying. I have, and might again, smoke a cigarette for the purpose of demonstrating to a smoker starting to vape that I have eliminated the risk of relapse ,at least as long as I can vape. I think "withdrawal" from vaping is more about psychology than physiology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread