Radio Times show on Ecigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
This show aired on Phildelphia's NPR station WHYY yesterday.

What do we know about e-cigarettes? | Radio Times | WHYY

Guests: Andrew Strasser, Michael Siegel
E-cigarettes are gaining popularity fueled by images of stars and hipsters puffing on them. Electronic cigarettes contain a battery that heats the liquid nicotine turning it into a vapor which the smoker inhales. Manufactures claim that “vaping,” as it’s called, is safer than regular cigarettes but the FDA has warned that the health effects of these relatively new products are still unknown and some studies have found carcinogens present in the vapor. Currently the FDA is deciding how to regulate e-cigarettes. So what do we know about e-cigarettes? How are they being marketed? And can they be a useful tool for public health? Marty is joined by ANDREW STRASSER, associate professor in the department of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine, where he is the director of its Biobehavioral Smoking Laboratory and MICHAEL SIEGEL, a professor of Community Health Services at Boston University School of Public Health.
- See more at: What do we know about e-cigarettes? | Radio Times | WHYY

I didn't know it was airing until I tuned in for the late night replay, so I could not call in. In general, it seems pretty positive and balanced, Siegel is great in it. Strasser harps on the "problem" with people dual using ecigs while still smoking a few real ones a day, but does not acknowledge that harm reduction is a good thing. Nor does he address the normal dual use that takes place with NRTs, or say anything about the psychological risks of Chantix. One caller asked him about his NYT article denigrating ecigs because flavors will attract children, and how his funding comes from Pfizer, which sells Chantix. His response to the first was flavored cigarettes are now illegal because of fears they would attract children, but does not bring up the fact that flavored cigs were never shown to attract children.

One thing I was not fond about with the show was that Strasser kept talking about ecigs as possible smoking cessation devices, not alternatives to smoking. It was all black and white to him, and cutting down on smoking, something most of us went through even if we did switch entirely, is considered just as bad as smoking full time. Harm reduction was not a part of his vernacular at all. That all said, he was, perhaps reluctantly, supportive of people vaping instead of smoking.

All in all, a very good show, and I was glad to hear it aired in my home city, which so far has been very hands off about trying to ban ecigs. Ecigs are very common in convenience stores here, and we now have a handful of vaping B&Ms in the greater Philly region.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
A big problem with these interviews with the experts is that the guest rarely state what their real goal is. Is it to improve public health or is it a tobacco free world? On the surface it may appear the two are the same but in reality there is a big difference. People pushing for a tobacco free world do not support THR as it is in opposition to their goal. Of course the goal of a tobacco free world is a utopian fantasy but god-forbid the discussion would ever get into that.

Even Siegel has a problem and it wasn't until the last few minutes of the discussion that he brought up the fact that long term us of nicotine might be okay if the alternative is smoking. What that really shows is his weak support of THR because THR supports long term use of low risk tobacco even if the alternative is not using any tobacco. I have read a lot of his writings and I have never heard him make any statement that he supports that idea. In the past Siegel has come out with irrational and misinformed statements about smokeless tobacco which he has never retracted and that simply shows how weak his support of THR really is.

Penner

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
USA
Hi Stubby,

regarding your comment "In the past Siegel has come out with irrational and misinformed statements about smokeless tobacco which he has never retracted"

Could you provide an example of this? I ask, as I always thought Dr Michael Siegal was a pretty strong advocate of ecigs (& have pointed people to read his blog). Maybe I am not reading well enough to catch his mistakes.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread