ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
20170919_095911_resized_zpslfmm68rm.jpg
20170919_095735_resized.jpg
20170919_095911_resized.jpg

Not much makes me as happy as a day at the range with a new rifle and handloads. A couple of older guys asked what the hell I was smokin' and I was proud to show them the Reo Grand! Turns out they were still smoking cigs and had tried ecigs before but they were fascinated with the Reo.

There's my black beauty next to the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. Good shooting so far at 300 yards.

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Not much that can beat a day alone far out in the wilds of the outdoors burning some powder. But introducing others to the Reos was a plus that was worth sharing the outdoors with them.

No Reos in this picture, but this is my private range that I set up out on the desert 18 or 19 years ago. I studied topo maps for likely safe spots, found the place chosen with my GPS and set it up with a laser range finder. The gentle slope of the sandy field makes targets easy to see and ricochets all but never occur. There is no other access to it except the dead end two track on the left, and there is literally nothing but raw desert for at least 100 miles behind those hills.

Target is at 100 yards, IiRC to test fire some handgun special purpose hand loads. Just in front of the color line above the umbrella between the light sandy field and the green Creosote bush line is at 1000 yards. Mid & long gongs are above the umbrella near the base of the sandy slope on the foot hills well below the cliffs.

My favorite 6.5 of all time was a 6.5 Super Bower wildcat 15" custom bull barrel that I shot on a highly reworked TC Contender frame. It was one of my many long range break and bolt action hand cannons, and my favorite 1000 yard specialty hand canon.

SandPitRange.jpg

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
Not much that can beat a day alone far out in the wilds of the outdoors burning some powder. But introducing others to the Reos was a plus that was worth sharing the outdoors with them.

No Reos in this picture, but this is my private range that I set up out on the desert 18 or 19 years ago. I studied topo maps for likely safe spots, found the place chosen with my GPS and set it up with a laser range finder. The gentle slope of the sandy field makes targets easy to see and ricochets all but never occur. There is no other access to it except the dead end two track on the left, and there is literally nothing but raw desert for at least 100 miles behind those hills.

Target is at 100 yards, IiRC to test fire some handgun special purpose hand loads. Just in front of the color line above the umbrella between the light sandy field and the green Creosote bush line is at 1000 yards. Mid & long gongs are above the umbrella near the base of the sandy slope on the foot hills well below the cliffs.

My favorite 6.5 of all time was a 6.5 Super Bower wildcat 15" custom bull barrel that I shot on a highly reworked TC Contender frame. It was one of my many long range break and bolt action hand cannons, and my favorite 1000 yard specialty hand canon.

View attachment 686997

Nice Spydro. It's hard to find a 1000 yards in Michigan without a forest in the way. There was a young guy at the range last week with a TC Contender shooting a 7mm round of some sort. I needed double ear protection with his muzzle break blasting.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I remember you and Old Broad are from around here! Yep, this is the Indian River range and it goes to 300 now.
    The one guy, Dave, quit vaping because it leaked in his pockets. I told him it's better than burn holes in your car seats. lol
    Knew it looked familiar. They were just starting the 300yd range, when I moved.
    Great range for only $15 a year.
    I lived within ear shot and drove my golf cart over to shoot.

Reactions: ENAUD

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2014
    Northern MI USA
    Knew it looked familiar. They were just starting the 300yd range, when I moved.
    Great range for only $15 a year.
    I lived within ear shot and drove my golf cart over to shoot.

It's $20 now but they keep it up better. They really need a higher berm out there at 300 (far left target) but I guess it's been "approved".

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    Nice Spydro. It's hard to find a 1000 yards in Michigan without a forest in the way. There was a young guy at the range last week with a TC Contender shooting a 7mm round of some sort. I needed double ear protection with his muzzle break blasting.

Th local range I belonged to here for 3 or 4 years was $150 per year plus you had to sit in on an annual orientation meeting. I didn't mind the $150, but did having to do the meeting... hence setting up my own range.

About 90% of this state is uninhabited public land (almost 100K square miles). So other than the obvious (two main population areas, small towns, etc) there are not many places here where you can't shoot (or hunt).

Mag-Na-Port and Arrestor muzzle breaks are always louder on specialty handgun length barrels no matter what cartridge they shoot. That 7mm being shot at your range could have been any of the many that the Contender can safely handle. Their need in this case depends if the 7mm being shot was a true hand canon, or the person shooting it was just a whoose. I didn't use breaks on even my top dog hand cannons, mostly because I just didn't need them, but also because of the noise.

More 7mm Contender wildcats have probably been developed since my day, but here's my list (in no particular order) from then.
    *7x47
    7 Classic
    7 International Rimmed
    7 GNR
    *7 Merrill
    7 Ingram
    *7 Super Bower
    7-30 Waters
    7-30 Waters Improved
    7/3030 AI
    7x30 JDJ
    *7 TCU
    7 BELL M
    *7 JDJ
    *7 JDJ #2
    7 Whisper
    7 SuperMag
    Those with a * are the 7's I used.

Last edited:

Eric Parlin

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    View attachment 686963 View attachment 686967

Not much makes me as happy as a day at the range with a new rifle and handloads. A couple of older guys asked what the hell I was smokin' and I was proud to show them the Reo Grand! Turns out they were still smoking cigs and had tried ecigs before but they were fascinated with the Reo.

There's my black beauty next to the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge. Good shooting so far at 300 yards.

A few more weeks and those trees are going to be a beautiful backdrop as they all display their fall colors. Makes me want to get back up to Ludington again soon. Alas, only a trip to Grand Rapids & Holland on the calendar right now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread