Ratio help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Hi first id really like to thank the forum for helping till now.. Say does any one know what the proper ratio of pg to vg should be in a mix? Im using cubis pro with lvc clapton 1.5 ohm and since ive been mixing 50-50% ratio it seems that the coil gets clogged up much sooner.. does anyone know if this is because of this? Does anyone know what a good ratio should be... i kinda like the joytech ejuice ratio my coil never got clogged with that... thanks.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017

Ethan diyFull Member
Hi first id really like to thank the forum for helping till now.. Say does any one know what the proper ratio of pg to vg should be in a mix? Im using cubis pro with lvc clapton 1.5 ohm and since ive been mixing 50-50% ratio it seems that the coil gets clogged up much sooner.. does anyone know if this is because of this? Does anyone know what a good ratio should be... i kinda like the joytech ejuice ratio my coil never got clogged with that... thanks.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hello @Ethan diy

In truth, higher PG than normal (if normal PG is less than half) works quite well in some of the Joyetech BF coils.

I use up to 70% VG at times but my current stash of bargain liquids (pre TPD) are all 50/50 and are working well. You could conceivably mix 60% PG, or even more.

Eventually, the liquid will get too thin and this could encourage floods.

So - I think you are on right lines, except I would say 50/50 is a good starting point. It's a compromise really. I wouldn't rate my chances with old fashioned 80% PG juice, but you never know. :)

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Ethan diy, is this happening with various different recipes, or is it one recipe? If it's one recipe, it's more likely to be an ingredient (or more than one ingredient) in the recipe. I use 50/50 and diy, and I have one recipe that will TOTALLY gunk coils in just one or two tanks, while I have others with which the coils will pretty much go on indefinitely with just cotton changes.

Reactions: Izan

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Thanks.. basically one recipe thst i wont be making anymore anyway.. but what ingredient could it be? Do you mean the flavor? Or the pg or vg or the nic... i use dispensible coils for mouth to lung vaping. Thanks for your reply tazzle. I could use the help thanks for pointing out that it may not even be a ratio problem.. im waiting for some new flavours to come in now anyway.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks.. basically one recipe thst i wont be making anymore anyway.. but what ingredient could it be?
Post the entire/complete recipe (in this thread); we will be better equipped to identify what potential ingredient(s) is(are) causing your clogging problem.

I noticed the LVC 1.5ohm coil is recommended to be used between 8-20 watts; make sure you are keeping your power supply in that range. And, when first using a new coil, be sure to give it plenty of time to fully saturate AT THE LOW (8 watt) END, BEFORE you increase power to your preferred level (but not exceeding 20 watts). Starting a fresh coil at too high a wattage, that is not fully saturated, can cause fouling of the wick and/or coil.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Wow thanks! Ok so the recipe is a blend of liquid barn products.. cola freeze, menthol, misty mountain, pacific dew, maybe some "sour" and a bit of pineapple... i just threw them all in together to finish up the products i had a bit of each.. also liquid barn nicotine 48 vg base and vg pg 50% ratio. Ill be sure now to deal with the coils as adviced. Really appreciate.

Reactions: IDJoel

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Wow thanks! Ok so the recipe is a blend of liquid barn products.. cola freeze, menthol, misty mountain, pacific dew, maybe some "sour" and a bit of pineapple... i just threw them all in together to finish up the products i had a bit of each.. also liquid barn nicotine 48 vg base and vg pg 50% ratio. Ill be sure now to deal with the coils as adviced. Really appreciate.

What do you mean by "clogged up?"

Your ratio of PG/VG shouldn't make much difference to how fast you "gunk" coils, but the higher the VG the better the wicking needs to be. If your setup can't wick fast enough to keep up with you (and VG wicks more slowly) you'll wind up actually burning the wicking material in the coil a bit.

Otherwise, it's likely an ingredient in your juice. I don't know LB flavors very well (though planning on getting at least their VBIC and Pink Lemonade this weekend,) but if any of them contain a lot of sucralose that's likely to gunk your coils fairly quickly. Also, darker juices tend to contain particulate matter that can also junk coils. Is the cola very dark or very sweet?

Just to give you an idea of the effects of sucralose on coils... I've been moving much more toward using RDAs lately, and I mix almost all of my own juice, but I still use a Nautilus 2 with factory coils sometimes, and occasionally buy juice.

If I vape 30 mills of a regular commercial juice in the Nautilus with factory coils, even something like a straight berry mix, the wicking material in the coil will be _black_. OTOH I can vape berry/fruit juices I make until the coil starts to lose flavor (easily 90-120 mills) and the wicking material will be pure as the driven snow. The difference? I use the same flavorings juice makers use, but I don't add sucralose.

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread