Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I just wick my Hurricane the second time with rayon.... Crash and burn. Total failure, flooded and leaked!
4c3578a125405c9d9147c831ea594a08.jpg
I'm no expert but I think your wick ends are too thin. If you look back in our threads @JeremyR wicked something similar to this style deck & if I remember correctly he left it fluffy & cut the tails at the notch.

Akuma888

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2015
I'm no expert but I think your wick ends are too thin. If you look back in our threads @JeremyR wicked something similar to this style deck & if I remember correctly he left it fluffy & cut the tails at the notch.

Try again without thinning your wick, sometimes you can get away with it without any flavor loss.

Ok, thanks...Hurricane....I'm comin to getcha and wick ya good!

They say 3rd time is a charm....;)

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
I have an Uncle that was using some Kendo Gold Edition cotton that I was talking to over christmas. I was going to ask him for a few pieces to try but he was down to his last few scraps from the bag so didnt want to take what little he had left. So havent tried Kendo but my Uncle was saying that the flavor is incredibly good and unlike anything he has ever used. I watched him rewick his Boreas and I couldnt believe how easy the stuff is to work with. The way the Cotton comes from the bag and its consistency is a bit like Rayon(a fluffy rope)but you wick the cotton much looser than Rayon than just trim the 4 tails and tuck them in to place. You really dont have to thin out the tails or do anything else. Basically just two cuts with the scissors and your good.

I think im going to buy a bag here sometime soon and I can report back how it compares to Rayon. The place I was going to buy it from though (Vaporbeast.com) is currently out of stock. Sucks cause it was 5.95 for the bag there. Other places want around 10 bucks like ebay etc. Ill buy this if I can find it under 10 for sure but not really in a rush to try it. I know my Uncle also mentioned that the Kendo Gold goes out of stock very quickly so that should be a good sign, must really be good :)

Maybe someone reading this has actually tried the Kendo vs the Sally's Rayon and can chime in before I buy.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Update on this Kendo Gold Cotton. I bought a bag and I truely believe this is the best real organic cotton you can buy. Rayon I believe technically isnt cotton so its a bit of comparing apples to oranges. Rayon is man made material. Out of all the Japanese cottons the Kendo Gold destroys them in longevity, flavor and clouds. Better than KGD no question. I still think I like Rayon better but after vaping two 6 ml tanks on the Kendo wicks I was very impressed. There was 0 gunking whatsoever on the cotton. After the 2nd tank my Kanthal was getting a little gunked which rubbed off on the wick but im pretty sure Kendo could get you 100 ml plus of vaping like Rayon before having to change wicks! I conducted the test on an original aromamizer 22mm with velocity deck. To my surprise there wasnt even any "tinting" on the shoulders of the wicks which I routinely have with Rayon. This is just an issue with these aromamizers though the tinting of the shoulders of the wicks. (As im sure a lot of you already know who use or used to use the aromamizer v1)

All that said I didnt use the Kendo right. You are supposed to prime the wicks and there are detailed instructions somewhere on how to do this. Just didnt feel like it at the time because I really dont know how to prime wicks exactly. I have a general idea of how its done but have never attempted this. The first step would be to familiarize myself with priming Rayon wicks I was thinking.

I believe I have read that a lot of you prime the Rayon by saturating the wicks real good, than you sizzle(which I believe means pulsing the coils) than you add more juice to the wicks? At what wattage do you pulse at if you are using a 0.2 ohm dual coils(my Stainless steel builds) as well as 0.3 ohm dual coils(kanthal builds) Also how many seconds are you firing when pulsing? I know with dry burning its holding the firing button for about 3 seconds before pressing the button again for another 3 seconds. This sizzling or pulsing of the coils with the Rayon wicks can also clean gunk from your coils too right which is how some of you guys get 100 ml plus on a single wick?

I've found in my vaping that its these little minuet details preparing the Rayon that make a world of difference with flavor and overall performance.

Thanks for the help

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
The first step would be to familiarize myself with priming Rayon wicks I was thinking.

I believe I have read that a lot of you prime the Rayon by saturating the wicks real good, than you sizzle(which I believe means pulsing the coils) than you add more juice to the wicks?

I do this on all of my decks that won't leak out on to my mod. I think the only one in rotation right now I can't do this with is my boreas since the deck has holes in the bottom and is separate from the base that seals in the juice. I prime them in wattage mode, at low watts (25 - 35 watts for similar ohm builds as you), and press the button just long enough to get a little sizzle and see the coil draw the juice into the wicks. If done right you only drip onto the coils and when finished your tails are saturated. This also reduces/eliminates that initial rayon taste breakin period.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
Yea the break in period sucks. Would be so nice to go through the whole tank without tasting wick!

So after the little sizzle you see the rayon soaking up the juice you just keep adding more juice directly onto the coil?

Let me get this straight though your not dripping juice on the coil when its sizzling? You basically let it sizzle, add juice, then sizzle again, add juice and so on and so forth until you can tell the Rayon has as much liquid as it can hold?

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Yea the break in period sucks. Would be so nice to go through the whole tank without tasting wick!

So after the little sizzle you see the rayon soaking up the juice you just keep adding more juice directly onto the coil?

Let me get this straight though your not dripping juice on the coil when its sizzling? You basically let it sizzle, add juice, then sizzle again, add juice and so on and so forth until you can tell the Rayon has as much liquid as it can hold?
correct. drip a drop or two onto each coil, short pulse of fire button until juice is drawn in, and repeat again and again until tails are saturated. If I had a desk stand for my phone I could try and do a video but don't think I co a good video and prime the coils one handed.

edit to add: riptrippers has a youtube video showing this on his pharoah, will try and find it... starts at about 02:15 into the video -

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
Appreciate it, will make my experience with Rayon much better!

Also Fozzy one other thing you say you dont do any priming on the Boreas because it will leak onto the Mod? Am I going to have the same problem with the Aromamizer 22mm and the Aromamizer 25mm? I know the Boreas is inspired by the Aromamizers so was wondering.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Appreciate it, will make my experience with Rayon much better!

Also Fozzy one other thing you say you dont do any priming on the Boreas because it will leak onto the Mod? Am I going to have the same problem with the Aromamizer 22mm and the Aromamizer 25mm? I know the Boreas is inspired by the Aromamizers so was wondering.
I haven't built my aromamizer in a while (wasnt a fan of the restricted airflow and actually need to wash it out and stash it away still) but I think it had the same issue. If you do prime it as above you have to use very small drops and be prepared to wipe some juice off the top of your mod if it comes out the deck holes.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
Oh alright Im not 100 percent sure how the boreas deck compares to the aromamizer supreme for example but I have a black boreas on its way from fasttech. Was 18 dollars after coupon code. Weird on FT the silver one said discontinued. My uncle owns a boreas and he was saying augvape is going out of business and if I wanted a boreas i should get one soon although i googled augvape going out of business and couldnt find anything. Maybe he's confusing augvape with another company... that would explain why the silver boreas on FT is listed as discontinued though.

Thats fine also getting some juice on the top of the mod. I have a mod(e leaf istick 60w tc) a friend gave me cause he went back to smoking lol. Its a perfect "beater mod" for building dry firing coils or using in the truck.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Oh alright Im not 100 percent sure how the boreas deck compares to the aromamizer supreme for example but I have a black boreas on its way from fasttech. Was 18 dollars after coupon code. Weird on FT the silver one said discontinued. My uncle owns a boreas and he was saying augvape is going out of business and if I wanted a boreas i should get one soon although i googled augvape going out of business and couldnt find anything. Maybe he's confusing augvape with another company... that would explain why the silver boreas on FT is listed as discontinued though.

Thats fine also getting some juice on the top of the mod. I have a mod(e leaf istick 60w tc) a friend gave me cause he went back to smoking lol. Its a perfect "beater mod" for building dry firing coils or using in the truck.
Boreas is discontinued so I just ordered 4 x SS ones from eciggity last week for my stash during their 20% off sale. They still had some in stock after I ordered mine.

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
Good to know. Even though the boreas is being discontinued I like what I've heard about it. From some reliable sources on ECF as well as my uncle. Basically everything the aromamizer supreme SHOULD of been.

I will be on the hunt over the next weeks/months for boreas on clearance! I haven't tried it yet, have one ordered from fasttech but incredible value if it is better than my supreme. Wonder how many augvape produced of the boreas, because I hope to continue to see them in stock places at reduced prices! Ideally would like to try the one I bought at fasttech before ordering more but have to wait for the 1st boreas to come in the mail.

I wonder if the aromamizer supreme decks are interchangeable with the boreas? I have a postless aromamizer supreme deck that Ill be receiving in the same order as well as a single coil plug for the supremes vdeck. Would be cool to do a HUGE single coil build in the boreas will have to see if it fits. The feed holes might be too big but there is a deck with smaller feed holes. (You get 2 with the boreas)

The postless deck I have no experience with at all but 8 bucks wasn't too bad on FT. The new Aromamizer plus (30mm) only comes with the postless deck at least initially. Figure I should see if I like the postless on my supreme before buying the plus. Just insane, the plus has a 20 ml tank option plus the 30mm build deck.

Eagerly awaiting reviews as well though before I drop 40 bucks plus on the full kit.

Not to mention all my mods would like stupid with a 30mm! Need one of these big 4 battery mods with alot of room around the 510!

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
To break in rayon I just flood the wick till saturated and pulse at normal vaping wattage while blowing on the coil(s). 8 -10 3 to 4 sec pulses and resaturating between pulses buys me little to no "flavor" break in period. It does however take about 10hrs. of soak time or 5hrs of vape time for vapor production to peak.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
It is sad but luckily he doesnt smoke cigarettes just cigars on occasion so it isnt as bad health wise actually.
ive always heard that even though theres 10x the tobacco and more 1st and 2nd hand smoke in the air for a cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread