Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Absolutely killer. My L++ is a freakn vaping freight train.
Did someone say dry hits...what dry hits? Is there some dry hitting going on round here? I don't think so.:lol:
95w of rocket vape is what's going on around here.:D

Speaking of air bleed holes, have you checked out the Demon Hunter yet?
Excellent, it looks like I am going to be drilling two holes in the Combo's Goon style deck. :D

The Demon Hunter looks like a stumpy version of the Combo. I don't like the fact that the top cap has to be oriented in line with those air slots and it's only 2.8ml.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Excellent, it looks like I am going to be drilling two holes in the Combo's Goon style deck. :D

Can't wait to see your reaction to that Troll:eek:

The Demon Hunter looks like a stumpy version of the Combo. I don't like the fact that the top cap has to be oriented in line with those air slots and it's only 2.8ml.

Notice I didn't say I have one on order? Same two reasons and with openings that big I'd be surprised if it didn't leak on its side.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'm still liking the Ammit a lot. Nice deck, easy to wick, excellent flavour. Solid on the sdna 75.

That said, what I'm really looking forward to is getting my replacement therion bf in. A Hadaly clone on top of that is perfection for me [emoji3]

(I only run about 25w, but as a true all day vape person, 15ml/day, the 11ml bottle is sweet.)

Chris863

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
Florida
Rayon blows my mind. Still. And I've been using it exclusively since March.

It is the best wick PERIOD. and im saying that knowing I dont do the best job wicking with rayon. I dont have the best skills installing the wicks into the coils and then getting the tails thinned etc. I would say about 50% of the time the flavor blows my mind. The other half of the time even when I do a poor job wicking it still tastes more than tolerable. I will say priming the rayon with my last two builds made a difference and I want to thank you guys for explaining that.

My issue I believe is for many months ive gotten sloppy with the wicking process. For the past weeks though ive been trying to refresh my memory reading old pages of this thread.

Quick question I forget for the aromamizer supreme as well as the aromamizer should the tails be covering the juice holes completely? Also should the tails be trimmed in a triangle type shape at the ends where the wick presumely covers the holes. For the longest time Ive just tucked it in the cup wherever but wondering what im doing wrong. I suspect it has to do with my tails, I do an ok job preparing the rayon in the right size. (I try and measure out a wick thats twice as big as a 3mm bit) Basically start by stroking off any loose rayon fiber strands and stroke the rayon fibers so that they all go in one direction. I then tightly roll the rayon to make it more aerodynamic in fitting into the coil. I think I read that its ok to roll it up tightly. I know alot of you guys wit better skills just tear a bit off the rope width wise and your good to go.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I just did a variation with types of rayon, well a variation for me anyway. I use a Bachelor, single coil tank, and had been wicking with Graham. The other day it needed a rebuild and I used Tencel instead of Graham. I've had problems with the Bachelor seeping liquids with Graham and had developed a technique to stuff the ports to prevent that. With the Tencel I just trimmed, straight, to the outside diameter of the base, put it together and filled it up. No seeping and a great vape!

Think I'll switch to Tencel on all my single coil, straight wick path, tanks.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Quick question I forget for the aromamizer supreme as well as the aromamizer should the tails be covering the juice holes completely? Also should the tails be trimmed in a triangle type shape at the ends where the wick presumely covers the holes. For the longest time Ive just tucked it in the cup wherever but wondering what im doing wrong. I suspect it has to do with my tails, I do an ok job preparing the rayon in the right size. (I try and measure out a wick thats twice as big as a 3mm bit) Basically start by stroking off any loose rayon fiber strands and stroke the rayon fibers so that they all go in one direction. I then tightly roll the rayon to make it more aerodynamic in fitting into the coil. I think I read that its ok to roll it up tightly. I know alot of you guys wit better skills just tear a bit off the rope width wise and your good to go.

I haven't built my aromamizer in a while (wasn't a fan, not enough airflow) but the boreas I use daily has a similar wicking technique. I too roll and twist my rayon after drafting (stretching it basically) it a bit and then thin my tails some so the deck with the holes won't be too packed with material. You want the holes covered but you don't want the deck floor packed tightly and overflowing with rayon. You want the tails thinned as much as possible while still covering the holes to help with the wicking properties of the rayon to feed the coil as quickly as possible.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I was looking foreward to trying the "normal" graham rayon and was a little bummed at first that I only had the tidi rayon balls, but they worked awesomely and after doing a google search on the previous thread, then Jeremy stated it was a little better(a brand comparable to tidi) as it was fluffier and Rossum stated to haven given away his graham box after finding tidi, so I think i'm just gonna settle on this tidi then now, but still am curious to see how big of a diff there is to the graham or other types, though they are also great i'm sure.

I was thinking that since rayon is a great transporter and not as much a reservoir as cotton, then I would for sure use it in tanks(I use and love the limitless plus, and have merlin and ammit on the way, just changed to low-power single-coil builds at 25w to save battery-life and liquid and hightened the nic to match). Though if running RDAs, then wouldn't cotton be better there as we need a reservoir there and not as much a transport method and wicking isn't really an issue since it's manual. I guess you use it for the flavor, but do you then have to drip more often than with cotton? Hmm, I could just test it myself, but have packed all my RDAs down in boxes as not gonna use them no-more i've decided and it was just a theoretical question more than anything else and was just wondering about it. I'm sure i'm way off, and I apologize for not having catched up yet with the two threads...

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
@mhertz I use graham rayon in my rda (and my rta, rdta) toppers. never used anything else in my rda so I can't compare dripping frequency of rayon to cotton. I always run my rda in tc mode with ss wire. single coil mode on a goon I could get about 10 - 12 drips (1/3 - 1/2 of a ML) before I had to worry about weeping out of the base/chamber o-rings. In dual coil mode I vape it dry then drip 20 - 22 times (about 2/3 of a ML) out of a fine tip plastic bottle. On my dual coil 22mm quad flex I use for recipe testing I only drip 10 - 12 times from my glass dripper to make sure it doesn't come out the side/bottom airflow holes or deck/chamber o-rings. All those variables aside I usually get 10 or so pulls on a rda with rayon before I have to drip again.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
The only time I did not like rayon, so far, was when I made a large coil 4-5mm, and used it in a dripping RDA. The taste was bad and I didn't have the patience to break it in. This was the Sally's rayon, I've never tried any other since I have the small box. KGD cotton "might" be better to hold the juice in a large coil, you'll just have to experiment with different wicks to see what you like. I don't drip often, and I still prefer rayon in my RTA tanks.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I just thought that if it wasen't as much of a reservoir than cotton, then it wouldn't hold as many drops as cotton(which is the "tank" of a RDA), but any diffs there sound to be neglible, as as stated, i've stopped using RDAs fully after discovering the limitless plus RDTA and then decided to go the RDTA/RTA route from now on as it's so more comfortable for me not having to drip all the time(I used to vape 25ml a day about, exclusively using RDAs at high power/low nic). The limitless and comparabel RDTA's I suspect feels nearly as nice as what the squonkers have been enjoying all along... Ingenious invention there, imho...

Last edited:

Vaping!!!Jables

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2015
I just did a variation with types of rayon, well a variation for me anyway. I use a Bachelor, single coil tank, and had been wicking with Graham. The other day it needed a rebuild and I used Tencel instead of Graham. I've had problems with the Bachelor seeping liquids with Graham and had developed a technique to stuff the ports to prevent that. With the Tencel I just trimmed, straight, to the outside diameter of the base, put it together and filled it up. No seeping and a great vape!

Think I'll switch to Tencel on all my single coil, straight wick path, tanks.
What's tencel?

San Antonio,Texas

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Tencel is a version of rayon that has been "processed" further. It is "stiffer" and doesn't compact as well as Graham so it makes it harder to get the right amount in a coil. Since it's "stiffer" it doesn't bend/curve as well which makes it more difficult to work with in tanks that need the wicks to bend at 90 degree angles, like an Aromamizer and most tanks. The Bachelor and FEV have a straight wick path so it's a really good fit. The fibers are far more uniform, less "gossamer", which gives it a thread or rope-like consistency.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Can't wait to see your reaction to that Troll:eek:

Notice I didn't say I have one on order? Same two reasons and with openings that big I'd be surprised if it didn't leak on its side.
Well that didn't go well...
The only Cobalt drill I have small enough is 1.98mm. I didn't hesitate to use that size as the Ohmega Calypso has a pair of 3mm deck air/fill holes and it works very well . I drilled a hole centered on each side of the deck, built and wicked with less thinning of the tails but not too tight, and proceeded to vape. Well the holes allowed juice to be sucked up through them to flood the deck.... :facepalm:

What size of hole did you use as 2mm is too big on the Combo.

I am going to bring in 2 postless decks for the Combo the IMC-8 & IMC9, I think they will work quite nicely. Looking forward to the IMC-8 with it's 2 juice holes instead of the standard 4, might work great with a single fused Clapton.

IMC-8
deck-imc-8-rdta-ijoy.jpg

IMC-9
deck-imc-9-rdta-ijoy.jpg

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I just thought that if it wasen't as much of a reservoir than cotton, then it wouldn't hold as many drops as cotton(which is the "tank" of a RDA)

And so I thought too. Once I switched to Rayon with its speedy juice transporting ability I realized that the juice wells in my RDAs could be used as.....well.... wells.
With just the right amount of tail thinning I can throttle the speed of the juice to the coil to achieve a consistent vape through 10 pulls instead of having 1 or 2 floody vapes followed by 2or 3 perfect vapes then leaning toward dry vapes at the end. As others have mentioned, 20 drops or so right down the center of the chuff cap on my Goon and its smooth sailing all the way.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
And so I thought too. Once I switched to Rayon with its speedy juice transporting ability I realized that the juice wells in my RDAs could be used as.....well.... wells.
With just the right amount of tail thinning I can throttle the speed of the juice to the coil to achieve a consistent vape through 10 pulls instead of having 1 or 2 floody vapes followed by 2or 3 perfect vapes then leaning toward dry vapes at the end. As others have mentioned, 20 drops or so right down the center of the chuff cap on my Goon and its smooth sailing all the way.
Interesting, thank you. That description of the RDA-cotton-vaping-feeling sounds awfully familiar to me too(flood'ed > perfect > dry) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread