Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyWineaux

May 25, 2017
Nice! Any pictures of your Aeronaut chimney build. I have the Aeronaut 24 (V2) with a simple 4mm 22g coil in it now and would like to try out a chimney build for it.

The Aeronaut is an excellent rda.

I love the Aeronaut v2, it is so nice.
The chimney I put on is 24g Kanthal and 26g SS316L but if I were to do it again I would go for a lower ID - I followed ohmboyjosh's swan coil build tutorial . I wrapped it like a scarf and took the ends and started trimming at the bottom of the coil, probably about 65% off both tails.
KDvRtIu.jpg

And the trimmed up Delirium v2
h3dZXgJ.jpg

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I love the Aeronaut v2, it is so nice.
The chimney I put on is 24g Kanthal and 26g SS316L but if I were to do it again I would go for a lower ID - I followed ohmboyjosh's swan coil build tutorial . I wrapped it like a scarf and took the ends and started trimming at the bottom of the coil, probably about 65% off both tails.
KDvRtIu.jpg

And the trimmed up Delirium v2
h3dZXgJ.jpg
Thanks! :thumbs:
I saw his video on the Aeronaut but never watched it. I'll go back and check out his Swan coil build, I would assume it runs without the upper air tube.

CraftyWineaux

May 25, 2017
Thanks! :thumbs:
I saw his video on the Aeronaut but never watched it. I'll go back and check out his Swan coil build, I would assume it runs without the upper air tube.
You would be correct, it is only 3 or 4 wraps but with it spaced up, it is at the top, so no top airflow but not needed as there is no spit back what so ever. I'm going to try a smaller ID coil and see how that works and maybe compress it a bit more. Cheers!

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I had a look over the fiber freaks site and it looks like its a different version of the sallys rayon. They use the words "cellulose fibre pads" so one can be led to believe its the same as the sallys but probably much more pricey like the variations of the cottons. I have no reason to say anything to the effect that it isn't but I have never heard of fiber freaks until just now. Maybe when I finish my 500' box I'll give it a try or if I happen across some in my travels. It intrigues me enough that I didn't think there was another rayon product out there other than the rayon one gets from the sallys store.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Hey guys @franck is in France & he wants to know if Fiber Freaks is rayon? He says that it's pretty popular in France.
Yes it is cellucotton, they have another one that is cotton/cellucotton blend, but they are out of business, I made a post about it a few pages back.

I've used it a bunch and it's just like a sort of higher quality version of the Sally's stuff. It's a shame they're done bc it was the only commercial-type wick worth trying imo. quality was very good and the people that liked it, REALLY liked it, also kind of funny that most of those people have no idea its rayon they're using, I suggest Sally's as an alternative and they're all, "oh I don't like that stuff"... a buddy of mine has a footlocker full of the little packets after he found out they were shutting down.

Last edited:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Native wicks Platinum Blend is okay for commercial wick. Not as good as Graham's or delco balls. I am pretty sure platinum blend is a 50/50 cotton/rayon blend. Sure feels and performs like it. And the use of 100% pure instead of 100% cotton on the label adds to the suspicion.

CraftyWineaux

May 25, 2017
Native wicks Platinum Blend is okay for commercial wick. Not as good as Graham's or delco balls. I am pretty sure platinum blend is a 50/50 cotton/rayon blend. Sure feels and performs like it. And the use of 100% pure instead of 100% cotton on the label adds to the suspicion.
Should be able to burn test it and it will tell you.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Yes it is cellucotton, they have another one that is cotton/cellucotton blend, but they are out of business, I made a post about it a few pages back.

I've used it a bunch and it's just like a sort of higher quality version of the Sally's stuff. It's a shame they're done bc it was the only commercial-type wick worth trying imo. quality was very good and the people that liked it, REALLY liked it, also kind of funny that most of those people have no idea its rayon they're using, I suggest Sally's as an alternative and they're all, "oh I don't like that stuff"... a buddy of mine has a footlocker full of the little packets after he found out they were shutting down.
Thanks! But @franck saids it's available in France. I'm not sure now. I'll ask him.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
That's what I thought but wasn't positive. Trying to explain the virtues of rayon to someone. Thanks!
i describe it as: cotton is like an old kitchen rug,, it holds the juice but rayon is like a slip and slide,, the juice flows all over.

my belief in rayon is so strong its part of my signature. i was pretty angry in my vapors tongue episodes and wouldn't wish that on anyone. i searched everywhere for info,, basically ran into a lot of useless info.....so i swore i would share what i found out. ............anything to avoid going back to 2 packs a day after beating a 35 year bad habit.

Last edited:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
I know its been said before but the difference between cotton and rayon.
Cotton...the juice flows inside the fiber thus expanding the fiber so less in the coil cause it expands enough not to choke the juice flow inside the coil. The flowing inside the fiber is part to why it clogs easily and wears out so fast. Your using heavy sweet juices that partially vaporized at the ends of the coil blocking the flow inside the fiber so your loosing flow ability of the fibers slowly until no more flow and coil burns.
Rayon... the juice flows outside the fiber so it has to be tight in the coil cause as-per-say the rayon shrinks when actually it settles upon itself and doesn't shrink at all. Rayon you have the problem of massive thick tails cause of so much material that has to be in the coil, literally so tight that you almost distort the coil installing the rayon. Its those massive tails that choke juice flow so thinning them by scraping sharp tweezers or anything pointy through the tail to remove a desired amount for proper juice flow. Shortest distance between well and coil is also crucial, making rabbit ears then stuffing having a mish-mash is IMO wrong. Juice the coil before installing the chimney, making sure all fibers are straight, even making the tails longer than they should be to pull some back to ensure the top of the outside wraps aren't exposed.
I've been wicking with rayon for 2 years now and when wicked properly nothing can compare to its longevity and its ability to move juice effectively. I easily move 100+ mls of juice through a rayon build and I may have a cocoon coil but after a rinse the rayon is just barely browned and in very good shape.
ditto,,,,

30mls/day x 7 days.. and likely more mls on weekends. rewick normally on Sunday's

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
i describe it as: cotton is like an old kitchen rug,, it holds the juice but rayon is like a slip and slide,, the juice flows all over.

my belief in rayon is so strong its part of my signature. i was pretty angry in my vapors tongue episodes and wouldn't wish that on anyone. i searched everywhere for info,, basically ran into a lot of useless info.....so i swore i would share what i found out. ............anything to avoid going back to 2 packs a day after beating a 35 year bad habit.
:thumbs:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
30mls/day x 7 days.. and likely more mls on weekends. rewick normally on Sunday's

The novelty of building has worn off long time ago.I now just build when I have too. Once I started DIY I stopped keeping track of how much juice I consume, with mail order you had too keep ahead of the game or else..... All I know is that my wife goes through 200ml a month and she goes through 1 atty in that time. I have several from .4SS clapton to a 1.4 go to work atty and vaping all of them all the time so how much juice per build is more a guess but still a healthy number compared to my having to rewick with commercial juices. I'll rebuild several at a time then wait till several are in the wash bin and I run out of attys before I wash and rebuild.
Its sure a nice warm feeling not to have to give a chit about juice consumption and where my next jug is coming from and hope is not late.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
The novelty of building has worn off long time ago.I now just build when I have too. Once I started DIY I stopped keeping track of how much juice I consume, with mail order you had too keep ahead of the game or else..... All I know is that my wife goes through 200ml a month and she goes through 1 atty in that time. I have several from .4SS clapton to a 1.4 go to work atty and vaping all of them all the time so how much juice per build is more a guess but still a healthy number compared to my having to rewick with commercial juices. I'll rebuild several at a time then wait till several are in the wash bin and I run out of attys before I wash and rebuild.
Its sure a nice warm feeling not to have to give a chit about juice consumption and where my next jug is coming from and hope is not late.
ditto that! keep it simple and move on is how i approach it. the only 'tweaking' i have done lately is put my coils in only the lower post holes of a griffin (velocity deck),,it has slightly kicked up the flavor and definitely shortened the length of rayon tail. (i did it as a flavor enhancer after watching a video).....i surely dont need to be budget minded with a lifetime supply of rayon :)

i mix up 500mls at a time of 1 recipe and it last about 3 weeks,, diy is so much cheaper. (my recipe has 6 flavors.. i wouldn't mind tweaking it down to 4 if i could ,,5 is doable,, but it works so i haven't messed with it :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread