RBA HELP. Am I missing something with the whole RBA craze? Flavor is ok and having to re drip constantly is annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i used micro coil also but it tends to burn juice way too fast ........

I don't mind using juice quickly. In my experience with different coils and different power levels, the more juice you atomize with each puff, the more flavor you tend to get. That's not always a better vape and there is more to it than that, but I find it a good working generalization. The same is true for other than micro coils.

In any case, you can tone down the juice usage by lowering the power applied.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
See, I knew it - they're all talking about micro-coils and stuff like that.

Like the OP, I have an igo-L. And, like him, I'm not overly impressed so far. I bought it not for taste (I'm perfectly happy with my vivi novas) but because I wanted to be able to change out flavors relatively easily (I DIY). I bought 50 pre-wrapped coils (2.0 ohms). Are these not the right thing to use on this dripper?

PS - someone mentioned that the airhole looked too big. I agree, find it too 'airy' for my taste. But a number of the reviews mentioned it being too tight and they drilled it out - no one mentioned it being too big.

Argghhhh!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
See, I knew it - they're all talking about micro-coils and stuff like that.

Like the OP, I have an igo-L. And, like him, I'm not overly impressed so far. I bought it not for taste (I'm perfectly happy with my vivi novas) but because I wanted to be able to change out flavors relatively easily (I DIY). I bought 50 pre-wrapped coils (2.0 ohms). Are these not the right thing to use on this dripper?

PS - someone mentioned that the airhole looked too big. I agree, find it too 'airy' for my taste. But a number of the reviews mentioned it being too tight and they drilled it out - no one mentioned it being too big.

Argghhhh!

I've seen those pre-wrapped coils, and I know that some people use them... but, I wouldn't. For one thing, in a "standard" coil, you really should have more than a single piece of silica inside the coil, you want a juicy wick, so when I used silica I usually folded the silica over twice so there were three strands within the coil. I don't use silica anymore because I can taste it and I don't like it.

As for the air hole, many vapers have large holes in their rba's, usually those that go for the massive clouds. It's a very different type of build and IMHO you're not getting much but vapor, the flavor and TH would be lacking because it's so airy. On my igo-l I took a file and widened the stock 1mm air hole just a tad, so it's maybe 1.2-1.3mm now and it's great, there's a little resistance when I draw on it, but it's wide enough to get more than a mouthful of vapor.

Micro coils are a bit of a different beast, using cotton and the micro, and a dripper with a well like the igo-l I can use minimal wick and about 5 drops and get a good 5-10 vapes. The micro coil is efficient at vaporizing the juice held in the wick within the coil, and once you cut the power the cotton soaks up more very quickly. A puff on a micro coil dripper is usually only 2-3 seconds or less, versus the 5-10 second draw on a carto/clearo.

P.S. take a look at that first pic, that sucker has been drilled out, it's definitely not stock.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Not all drippers are created equal. An Igo-L is good to try out and start with but I would rate it for flavor and vapor at the end of the spectrum.

Wick will make them taste different also. I use Ekowool flat or the thin wick from Art of Exhale which tastes the same as the Bulli wick.

A properly setup coil and wick in a great atomizer is hard to beat.

Different juices will taste better at different Ohms.

Last edited:

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
<snip>

P.S. take a look at that first pic, that sucker has been drilled out, it's definitely not stock.

Just looked and you're definitely right. Mine has not been drilled out (it's much smaller) but it's still too 'airy'. No other air is getting in because I get no air at all if I block the hole.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
A cheap, 1300mAh VV X6 (but it's PURPLE!!). I can adjust the voltage from 3.6 to 3.8 to 4.2. But I don't really notice much difference in taste at the different voltages.

Well, you've got enough power to run the 2 ohm coil to about 8.5 watts at 4.2 volts, but I don't expect that to perform well for you. I've seen pictures of the pre-made coils and they don't look to me like they would work well that low.

I do think you would have more success with a micro coil at 1.8 to 2.0 ohms. But I don't think this is the best way for you to go.

I use a simple dripping atty like this for testing my juice. I would stick with 1.8 to 2.0 ohms for your battery. Cheap, easy to rinse out juice between flavors and performs great with no need to mess with making coils. All you need to do is put a drip tip on it and you're in business. I'm still using the one that I started with 18 months ago :thumb:

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
If dripping isn't working for you, you can always try a bottom feed mod. Much more consistent and no dripping!

reo8.jpg reo7.jpg

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Well, you've got enough power to run the 2 ohm coil to about 8.5 watts at 4.2 volts, but I don't expect that to perform well for you. I've seen pictures of the pre-made coils and they don't look to me like they would work well that low.

I do think you would have more success with a micro coil at 1.8 to 2.0 ohms. But I don't think this is the best way for you to go.

I use a simple dripping atty like this for testing my juice. I would stick with 1.8 to 2.0 ohms for your battery. Cheap, easy to rinse out juice between flavors and performs great with no need to mess with making coils. All you need to do is put a drip tip on it and you're in business. I'm still using the one that I started with 18 months ago :thumb:

Thanks for the input.

As I said, I was interested in dripping mainly for quick flavor changes (because I DIY). The igo-L works fine for it and I'll continue using it (especially after I plug up the hole a bit). I was just expecting some sort of *improvement* related to the act of *dripping* - better taste, more clouds, something!

No big deal.

But getting back to the OP's original post - I have to say that I agree with him. *Dripping* just doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. (IMHO, of course). :)

Giant Squid

Aug 24, 2013
UK
Good air flow is very important. For a demonstration, try taking the wick out and dry burning the coil at a lowish voltage until it glows red. Then blow on the coil while you're still heating it and you'll see it cool down and stop glowing. If your coil/wick is positioned wrong you can easily get poor air flow. It can cause hot spots burning your liquid or low vapor production. Try various positions until you find one that works well.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I look at RSST's, RDA's, RBA's, et al., the same way I look at The Beatles and Nirvana. While I never really dug them, I am fully aware of their importance and influence in the music world, and I appreciate them.

That being said, I've tried them, I get to "use" them on a daily basis (my friends'), I've gleaned enough information from them to confirm that they're just not my bag. They taste delicious and if you're a tinkerer and a researcher, it's right up your alley. But it's just not me. I'll stick to my tried and true carto tanks.

m3lov3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Seattle, Wa
I look at RSST's, RDA's, RBA's, et al., the same way I look at The Beatles and Nirvana. While I never really dug them, I am fully aware of their importance and influence in the music world, and I appreciate them.

That being said, I've tried them, I get to "use" them on a daily basis (my friends'), I've gleaned enough information from them to confirm that they're just not my bag. They taste delicious and if you're a tinkerer and a researcher, it's right up your alley. But it's just not me. I'll stick to my tried and true carto tanks.

Well put man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread