RBA Tools (and things for those of us who are not 20something anymore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Had to add another really cool tool to this thread. fasttech sells a ceramic tipped tweezers (pointed and flat tipped). They are heat resistant and of course non conductive. This way you can squeeze coils and adjust while firing.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10007588/1655801

1655801-3.jpg

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I have a cool tool I can share, it even works when tiny metal bits roll under the couch, rechargeable and bright:

View attachment 338178

Amazon.com: Rechargeable Music Stand LED Light Clip-on 9 LEDS with Adapter: Musical Instruments

I almost almost got one similar to that from Amazon. It is LED and can be battery or plug in but it also has the large magnifying glass too. But yeah, I am constantly loosing stuff and having to shine the lights around looking for it. But I have just been using the light on the head gear for now. But yeah, very cool and handy.

Amazon.com: Carson DeskBrite 200 LED Illuminated 2X Magnifier & Desk Lamp (LM-20): Sports & Outdoors

Rmervin

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
NC
I put rubber feet on the lamp so it will stand without clamping and also use it for mod pics so I can capture shadow and reflection and such. But, when I look in my bag I find my coolest tool:

meter_2.png

I had the hardest time buying a multimeter: this thing is 4" X 2" X 1" when closed...and it's rubberized, and it changed my life. :)

*Oh yeah, I like them tweezers.

Bought several items this week from Amazon and they worked out so well, thought I would post it. Many probably already have them, but they were new to me, so hope someone else finds this useful!

First item is a home made coil wrap tool. It is just a jewelers screwdriver with a cut off 4-40 machine screw in place of the screwdriver end. A slot is cut to hold the wire while wrapping. To remove, just bend the leg out of the slot and unscrew. Then is ready for tweezers or hemostats for torching (if making a micro coil).

Here are the close cutters pictured above which are great for snipping the wicks flush.
Xuron 170-II Micro-Shear Flush Cutter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
And one of the tweezers pictured above.
13cm Length Black Anti-magnetic Straight Curved Tweezers 2 Pcs - Amazon.com

View attachment 315623 View attachment 315624 View attachment 315625 View attachment 315626 View attachment 315627

Links to the rest of the stuff pictured above. The headset magnifier with LED is wonderful for those of us not in our 20's anymore. Best thing I have bought in a while. The tackle box has two small pull out organizers for all the small parts while the larger pliers and such fit great in the top. The needle threaders are a huge help pulling cotton through the coils.

Amazon.com: Plano 1362 2-By Rack System 3650 Size Tackle Box: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com - Wire Needle Threader In A Tube - Hand Sewing Needle Threaders
Amazon.com - Looped Needle Threader-6/Pkg - Hand Sewing Needles
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Clean Cutter, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
SE MH1047L Illuminated Multipower LED Binohead Magnifier - Amazon.com

Also, here is a link to Alligator Forceps (awesome tool):
2pcs Stainless Steel Alligator Forceps Set: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
And regular Hemostats (straight and curved):
SE Hemostats, Curved 8" and Straight 8" - Amazon.com

OK, I admit to totally spending too much time (and money) on Amazon. I am a Amazonoholic!

Fellow tool junkie and Amazon fanboy here has a question for ya: between the two cutters, Hakko and the Xurons, which one do you prefer, and what do you recommend?

Went back and forth between the two for a couple weeks before finally settling on the Hakko's due to the "ergonomic" grip (not that big of a deal but +1 for them) and cheaper price, but received a used pair from Amazon so sending it back. I work with a decent amount of electronics in my spare time, so am down to spend the extra three bucks on the Xuron's if justified, but don't like flushing money down the toilet and the one comparison I found between the two has the user preferring the Hakko CHP cutter, although fans of Xuron rave about them and prolly will pick up one of their tools like the tweezer nose pliers in the future.

TIA, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Fellow tool junkie and Amazon fanboy here has a question for ya: between the two cutters, Hakko and the Xurons, which one do you prefer, and what do you recommend?

Went back and forth between the two for a couple weeks before finally settling on the Hakko's due to the "ergonomic" grip (not that big of a deal but +1 for them) and cheaper price, but received a used pair from Amazon so sending it back. I work with a decent amount of electronics in my spare time, so am down to spend the extra three bucks on the Xuron's if justified, but don't like flushing money down the toilet and the one comparison I found between the two has the user preferring the Hakko CHP cutter, although fans of Xuron rave about them and prolly will pick up one of their tools like the tweezer nose pliers in the future.

TIA, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks, I need to edit this post anyway as the lighter duty version of the Xuron is crap. Loved it to begin with, but after a few months of use just clipping wick and thin coil wire, the jaws lapped each other and were useless. If you only want one, get the Hakko.
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Clean Cutter, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity: Side Cutting Pliers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I am in the process of trying the heavier duty Xuron now.
Xuron LX Micro-Shear Flush Cutter: Xuron Wire Cutter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Oh hell, I forgot you cannot edit an old post. Oh well, hopefully folks will read more into the thread before buying. I am also going to try and submit an Amazon review on the cheap pair that sucked.

Last edited:
Bought several items this week from Amazon and they worked out so well, thought I would post it. Many probably already have them, but they were new to me, so hope someone else finds this useful!

First item is a home made coil wrap tool. It is just a jewelers screwdriver with a cut off 4-40 machine screw in place of the screwdriver end. A slot is cut to hold the wire while wrapping. To remove, just bend the leg out of the slot and unscrew. Then is ready for tweezers or hemostats for torching (if making a micro coil).

Here are the close cutters pictured above which are great for snipping the wicks flush.
And one of the tweezers pictured above.
13cm Length Black Anti-magnetic Straight Curved Tweezers 2 Pcs - Amazon.com

View attachment 315623 View attachment 315624 View attachment 315625 View attachment 315626 View attachment 315627

Links to the rest of the stuff pictured above. The headset magnifier with LED is wonderful for those of us not in our 20's anymore. Best thing I have bought in a while. The tackle box has two small pull out organizers for all the small parts while the larger pliers and such fit great in the top. The needle threaders are a huge help pulling cotton through the coils.

Amazon.com: Plano 1362 2-By Rack System 3650 Size Tackle Box: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com - Wire Needle Threader In A Tube - Hand Sewing Needle Threaders
Amazon.com - Looped Needle Threader-6/Pkg - Hand Sewing Needles
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Clean Cutter, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
SE MH1047L Illuminated Multipower LED Binohead Magnifier - Amazon.com

Also, here is a link to Alligator Forceps (awesome tool):
2pcs Stainless Steel Alligator Forceps Set: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
And regular Hemostats (straight and curved):
SE Hemostats, Curved 8" and Straight 8" - Amazon.com

OK, I admit to totally spending too much time (and money) on Amazon. I am a Amazonoholic!

Thanks, I need to edit this post anyway as the lighter duty version of the Xuron is crap. Loved it to begin with, but after a few months of use just clipping wick and thin coil wire, the jaws lapped each other and were useless. If you only want one, get the Hakko.
Hakko CHP-170 Micro Clean Cutter, 16 Gauge Maximum Cutting Capacity: Side Cutting Pliers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I am in the process of trying the heavier duty Xuron now.
Xuron LX Micro-Shear Flush Cutter: Xuron Wire Cutter: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Oh hell, I forgot you cannot edit an old post. Oh well, hopefully folks will read more into the thread before buying. I am also going to try and submit an Amazon review on the cheap pair that sucked.

Wow, that's rather surprising. Good thing I asked before picking up a pair. Wonder if all the good reviews are from Xuron fanboys?

Appreciate the prompt response and recommendation! Thanks buddy :)

Received 2nd pair of Hakko's, and although I'm well aware of my analness (if that's even a word), they look used.

The nut/screw or whatever the thing that holds the cutters together right beneath the jaws, appears to be rusty. The front side of it looks fine, but the backside (smaller than the front side) doesn't look good. This pair looks better than the first one, there arent significant marks on the blades themselves, although the silver coating on the tips is uneven as the right side has more of a coating than the left. And then there are obvious scuffs, dirt, markings on the handles.

Is it my OCD or did you have a similar experience? I HATE paying for new items and received used ones (must be notated on my account), especially when it is a tool and something that has a limited life from wear & tear like cutters. Amazon is of course great at returns & reshipping another item, but think the problem always seems to stem from either the warehouse or manufacturer.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Received 2nd pair of Hakko's, and although I'm well aware of my analness (if that's even a word), they look used.

The nut/screw or whatever the thing that holds the cutters together right beneath the jaws, appears to be rusty. The front side of it looks fine, but the backside (smaller than the front side) doesn't look good. This pair looks better than the first one, there arent significant marks on the blades themselves, although the silver coating on the tips is uneven as the right side has more of a coating than the left. And then there are obvious scuffs, dirt, markings on the handles.

Is it my OCD or did you have a similar experience? I HATE paying for new items and received used ones (must be notated on my account), especially when it is a tool and something that has a limited life from wear & tear like cutters. Amazon is of course great at returns & reshipping another item, but think the problem always seems to stem from either the warehouse or manufacturer.

Curious what kind of silver coating on the cutter tips you are referring to? As you can see by my pic of the Hakko's, the cutters should have a black coating. I would definitely return them, call and file a complaint with Amazon which causes them to audit what is on the shelves and to get the right item back. You can also try a different Amazon vendor as even if it is filled by Amazon, sometimes they have different vendors. Anyway, hope they get it right for you as mine are still going strong. Also the Xuron heavy duty pair seems to be fine, but it doesn't have the black protective coating.

Curious what kind of silver coating on the cutter tips you are referring to? As you can see by my pic of the Hakko's, the cutters should have a black coating. I would definitely return them, call and file a complaint with Amazon which causes them to audit what is on the shelves and to get the right item back. You can also try a different Amazon vendor as even if it is filled by Amazon, sometimes they have different vendors. Anyway, hope they get it right for you as mine are still going strong. Also the Xuron heavy duty pair seems to be fine, but it doesn't have the black protective coating.

here, literally just created account to upload these so apologies if pics arent viewable, but made album public so should be able to see them Hakko - Imgur
(if not, address is "my username without hyphen.imgur.com/all/" without quotations of course)

wow, thought that pic on your original post is the stock one from amazon, if that's how they look new im definitely returning these.

hopefully you can see the tips on the last two pics. first three are of scuffs, next two are of the rusty part holding the cutters together. both were shipped from & sold by Amazon. black protective coating, you talking about the very edge of the cutters where the blade is? damn, only visible on one side, although could be lighting as its evening right now. sounds like they help quite a bit. surprised the xurons don't incluide them, kinda disappointing considering the reputation of the company and mainly cause theyre three times the price of the hakkos (and other than material, what differentiates them from the original pair? that alone shouldn't cost 50% more)

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
here, literally just created account to upload these so apologies if pics arent viewable, but made album public so should be able to see them Hakko - Imgur
(if not, address is "my username without hyphen.imgur.com/all/" without quotations of course)

wow, thought that pic on your original post is the stock one from amazon, if that's how they look new im definitely returning these.

hopefully you can see the tips on the last two pics. first three are of scuffs, next two are of the rusty part holding the cutters together. both were shipped from & sold by Amazon. black protective coating, you talking about the very edge of the cutters where the blade is? damn, only visible on one side, although could be lighting as its evening right now. sounds like they help quite a bit. surprised the xurons don't incluide them, kinda disappointing considering the reputation of the company and mainly cause theyre three times the price of the hakkos (and other than material, what differentiates them from the original pair? that alone shouldn't cost 50% more)

Yeah, I would absolutely raise hell with Amazon. Those are obviously well used cutters. Hard to tell in the pics, but that doesn't look like a silver coating, but rather where someone tried to re-sharpen the cutters and ground them, removing the black coating. Are you Amazon prime? You definitely get treated a little better by customer service, not that it should matter. But every time I have an issue, that will usually try to make me happy by offering a $20 gift card or adding a month service. And with that situation, will usually audit their inventory to ensure you get the right item and brand new.

On the Xuron cutters, the steel is thicker and heavier duty. For me the benefit is that rivet holding them together. The lighter one is some cheap light duty rivet where as the heavy duty pair use a much heavier duty carbon steel rivet to hold them together. Guess I use too much hand pressure with the pliers as the rivet gave on the cheap pair causing the blades to overlap each other. Sure I hit it with a hammer to tighten it back up, but that is just crap in my opinion. I want tools that can stand up to my use.

Anyway, good luck getting it all straightened out.

Yeah, I would absolutely raise hell with Amazon. Those are obviously well used cutters. Hard to tell in the pics, but that doesn't look like a silver coating, but rather where someone tried to re-sharpen the cutters and ground them, removing the black coating. Are you Amazon prime? You definitely get treated a little better by customer service, not that it should matter. But every time I have an issue, that will usually try to make me happy by offering a $20 gift card or adding a month service. And with that situation, will usually audit their inventory to ensure you get the right item and brand new.

On the Xuron cutters, the steel is thicker and heavier duty. For me the benefit is that rivet holding them together. The lighter one is some cheap light duty rivet where as the heavy duty pair use a much heavier duty carbon steel rivet to hold them together. Guess I use too much hand pressure with the pliers as the rivet gave on the cheap pair causing the blades to overlap each other. Sure I hit it with a hammer to tighten it back up, but that is just crap in my opinion. I want tools that can stand up to my use.

Anyway, good luck getting it all straightened out.

Ya, Prime and have been a member for a decade or so. Although for the last few years have been piggybacking off a family members account so am not a primary member. In the last year or so since they've opened up warehouses closes to where I live on the West Coast (Cali), the shipping has been faster but the warehouse service has been ....tier, as in it is pretty common practice to receive used or clearly damaged or roughed up items. One time I ordered an air rifle and received a used one three separate times, def voiced my displeasure but they rarely if ever offer $20 gift card or month of service. They're good about taking all the returns and sending out a "new" item again, as they should as that's their policy, but a significant amount of the time that item isn't actually "new". But not sure there is much the CSR's/support could do as its at the warehouse level unless they literally know they are sending "used" items and refrain when it is a premium customer/heavy spender. Knowing Amazon (Im a fanboy), the amount of data they have on users for profiling must be ridiculous. I can be pretty hard to please, but it is starting to get kinda ridiculous because after factoring in shipping costs, both sides would have been better off if they just sent an unopened or undamaged item the first time around.

It's extremely annoying when a manufacturer goes cheap on essential parts on an item such as a tool. What do they save, like 5 cents for a cheaper rivet? Considering they're supposedly a premium company and they sell those cutters for like $13, that's bull..... I'm frugal as hell but when it comes to products like hand tools and some electronic devices, I don't have the patience. That's good to hear it is an upgrade and the steel is tougher. I've been obsessing with hand tools the last few months (I repair electronics on the side) and have been quite impressed with Knipex pliers & Wiha screwdrivers. I did an unnecessary amount of research (quality over quantity any day) so the knowledge is still fresh in my headif you have any questions regarding those categories, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks man. Your advice has been extremely helpful and is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread