rcr123a 3 volt batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
so i have this mod that uses said batteries (rcr123a 3v.) and they are stacked to make 6 volts. i tired to look them up but im not the best googler. i was wondering if anyone knew the amp rating for these.
RCR123A batteries were sometimes stacked in mechanical mods back in the day (3 years ago). They will have an extremely low amp limit, as they were designed for use in flashlights which don't require a high amp output battery.

I don't recommend stacking batteries in a mod, period.

"Stacked or unstacked?
In some mods, you can fit two 18350's when the mod is configured for an 18650. This boosts the voltage output from 3.6V to 7.2V which means more vapor. Yay. BUT, you should NEVER do this. Unless you are familiar with matching batteries, you are only endangering yourself and others.

You may think, "Well, shucks, laptops have multiple batteries in them, why can't my e-cig?" Laptop batteries are specifically designed for stacking and are paired for use at the factory. When using un-matched batteries, they will discharge and provide current at different rates. This means one battery will continuously take more of the stress than the other.

You may not notice any trouble at the start, but as the batteries age with use the problem will become more severe. Push the batteries a bit further and now you've entered the realm of thermal runaway. Downside being that one battery entering thermal runaway will push the other battery into thermal runaway. Now you have two small, flaming explosives only inches from your face."

If you still choose to use that mod, I'd use only AW brand RCR123 batteries (if you can still find them). I would use only a 2.0 ohm coil or higher.

AW_RCR123A.jpg

Keep in mind that these are protected ICR batteries (not a safe chemistry), so don't push them too hard with atomizer resistances under 2.0 ohm. Any battery of this size and chemistry will probably have less than 3 amps CDR.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
so i have this mod that uses said batteries (rcr123a 3v.) and they are stacked to make 6 volts. i tired to look them up but im not the best googler. i was wondering if anyone knew the amp rating for these.

The amp rating depends on the battery model and manufacturer, but it will probably be quite low. Hopefully they are protected batteries or you could have quite the safety risk on your hands (and in your mouth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread