RDA coils keep rising in Ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronrosbaugh

Mar 13, 2015
Olympia, WA
i built a coil for my rda i put it on the ohm reader before using and it was at .64 ohms vaped on it for a half hour then checked it again and it was at .86ohms so i took the coil out and threw it away. this is the second time this has happened what am i doing wrong?
ohm.jpg

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
juicynoos:15445600 said:
Post screws tightened down sufficiently? Tried wiggling coil while reading ohms?

What atty is that BTW? Usually, fluctuations are due to poor connectivity. either that or the ohm reader is off. Maybe try an alternative like DMM to compare.

Believe it's a little boy on a sigelei 150. The screws could have backed out slightly. Problem with Phillips heads is they constantly back out. After trimming the tails of the coils off make sure you tighten down the post screws more. Another possibility is you snapped a coil leg.

ronrosbaugh

Mar 13, 2015
Olympia, WA
Believe it's a little boy on a sigelei 150. The screws could have backed out slightly. Problem with Phillips heads is they constantly back out. After trimming the tails of the coils off make sure you tighten down the post screws more. Another possibility is you snapped a coil leg.

exactly right its a sigelei 150w with a little boy but its a clone not authentic

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
ronrosbaugh:15445692 said:

exactly right its a sigelei 150w with a little boy but its a clone not authentic

I know my stuff lol. Clone and authentic matters minimally. Do what I said after cutting the tails of the legs. I'm guessing that is 28 gauge. If you have a drill you can try twisting the kanthal to get better flavor.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
If all of your connections are secure and nothing is broken another possibility is that a really sticky juice is causing the resistance of your coil to rise. 0.2 ohms in half an hour seems like a lot but it is possible. Next time it happens, dry burn the coil, blow the char off and retest the build.

I'd agree but .2 ohms in half an hour seems too excessive. I could be wrong though.

Most variation I've ever seen after gunking up a coil is usually by .05 or so, and most ohm readers have that margin of error anyway.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
are you "glowing" the coil before you wick it??? the coil needs to be "glowed" ( turned on till it turns red/orange) to oxidize the coil. As it oxidizes it creates an insulative film on the surface of the wire which results in the coil wraps that were touching pre "glow" to become non conductive where they were touching each other. other things to look for are loose screw connections... also as the wire heats up it softens a tad making the screw connection not as "firm" as it was.... dirty contact points and other loose connections can cause errors in the ohm readings..

I seem to be having similar issues with my Kangertech Subtank mini.....my build will initially read about .70 Ohms and then after or while vaping out of my Eleaf iStick 50w the ohm reader will say it is up to either .8, .9, or even 1.2 ohms. I feel your pain brother!

What gauge wire are ya using? I have noticed on my rta section for the subtank mini, that anything lower than 26 is really difficult to make work. Also, make sure the rta section is fully screwed in the base. I have had the same problems with mine in the past because I was trying to use 24g kanthal. And my rta section wasn't fully attached to the base. Hope this helped

resistance of materials changes with temperature, keep that in mind if you are checking your coils cold vs hot.

Also the resistance of the wire goes up during it's lifetime, due to oxide layers and changes in the crystaline structure within the metal bonds after being exposed to high heat... Things most people in the vape community don't have the exposure to that is required to understand in larger systems/more critical applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread