RDA Round-Table Discussion and Lookout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
Just wondering if you guys with Hadalys recommend it. Theres a sale on their site and im interested.
Its a great little rda but its made in china and I have heard the clones are just as good if not better quality in some cases. It really depends on you and what you feel comfortable with. I get a great vape from the hadaly but if your not using it on a sqounker then I don't think its worth it as it is a fairly small juice well and you would be dripping constantly. Great flavor easy to use build deck and great as a bottom fed atty

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Just wondering if you guys with Hadalys recommend it. Theres a sale on their site and im interested.
It's my favorite restricted airflow/flavor atty. I've got three authentics and was tempted to get another cause of the sale but I decided to wait and pick up a Goon LP next week.

Great flavor, easy to build, accessories available, bottom fed ready out of the box, reasonably priced even when not on sale and easy to acquire. What's not to like?

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I recently picked up the Recoil RDA for myself for Christmas and my god its a great flavor atty (for my needs).

I, too, am anxiously awaiting payday to try to get my hands on a Goon LP. A friend of mine told me that there are some on FastTech that are authentics that were made by a company who had the blueprints directly from 528, but used some different materials instead of the ones specified by the originators. supposedly they are "authentics" but not because of the materials. I picked one up so we'll see next month how it is.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Got my LP today (fast as heck shipping) and after one build I am in love. A breeze to build, flavor is on point and looks killer. For what you get @ $75 I'm impressed.

Btw: not even a rinse and zero oils taste, yeah!

48b5e69942d2fbe0699fae68e9ed919c.jpg

9b974be23fe5ed1933ff3868182bbfd6.jpg

4b389a1e0af23c1dda4836b2ce0225c5.jpg

b31ec3586b3f3ac3907069d3ba43c45f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Khanninnarh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2016

I just got one last week and I'm impressed. But had to use an Alien Clapton 0.45 Ohms at 35 watts in there to make it vape the way I like. A warm vape.

Initially, I was using a 26g SS316L round wire in there at 0.6 ohms firing at about 25 watts. The vape was just too cool for me. Anything higher like 30 or more I got a burnt taste. Could not pull more than 2 times.

At first I thought it was the cotton. But it was not the cotton. It was the ends of the wire burning up and giving off fumes.

Lastly, removing one O Ring makes putting on the top cap much easier.

Does anyone have the same problem?

f47a8352e2177be030fbd6a6b59134b8.jpg
2dd46b095104e0e4d33160ecf7c4117c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I just got one last week and I'm impressed. But had to use an Alien Clapton 0.45 Ohms at 35 watts in there to make it vape the way I like. A warm vape.

Initially, I was using a 26g SS316L round wire in there at 0.6 ohms firing at about 25 watts. The vape was just too cool for me. Anything higher like 30 or more I got a burnt taste. Could not pull more than 2 times.

At first I thought it was the cotton. But it was not the cotton. It was the ends of the wire burning up and giving off fumes.

I doubt it is the RDA per se. I don't work with SS wire, but my thinking is that it has something to do with the particular nature of the wire (and maybe how it's wrapped? Maybe how solid the connection is?).

That would not be a fun vape, I know that much!

I am interested to see what the answer is to that issue.

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015

Try wrapping your coil in the other direction so the leads go down into the well instead of sitting on top.

At first, it seems like this is the way to build it but I'm in a group on FB that goes deep into the science behind what goes on inside atomizers and it was agreed upon that the leads should go down, not straight across.

The main reason is because with the leads down, your exposing as much of the coil as possible to airflow which would keep those hot legs cooler. Also, when wicked, the cotton will make contact with more of the lead surface also keeping the heat on them down.

I'm almost 100% sure it's not the wire, it's the build. Kanthal would do the exact same thing in this scenario, it just may take an extra second or so for the legs glow hot like that due to the slower ramp up.

Try my suggestion out and if you still have issues, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you get this problem resolved.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I would venture to guess that somewhere on the underside of that coil there are a couple wraps that are either touching or are just too close together. Kinda like how coils were a pain to get the hot legs worked out of them when using mesh wicking... I don't miss those days at all!!

Reactions: Khanninnarh

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
I would venture to guess that somewhere on the underside of that coil there are a couple wraps that are either touching or are just too close together. Kinda like how coils were a pain to get the hot legs worked out of them when using mesh wicking... I don't miss those days at all!!
On mesh, a hot wrap can be caused by either a short (definitely not happening in this pic because we can see that the far leg isn't touching anything) or the wrap not making contact with the mesh.

I believe what's going on is those legs are too long and not making contact with the wick so they have no way of being cooled down as fast as the rest of the coil. Wrapping in the other direction so the leads go down into the well should fix that issue.

I used to have hot leg issues on my veritas and I always fixed it by shortening my leads.

Khanninnarh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2016
Try wrapping your coil in the other direction so the leads go down into the well instead of sitting on top.

At first, it seems like this is the way to build it but I'm in a group on FB that goes deep into the science behind what goes on inside atomizers and it was agreed upon that the leads should go down, not straight across.

The main reason is because with the leads down, your exposing as much of the coil as possible to airflow which would keep those hot legs cooler. Also, when wicked, the cotton will make contact with more of the lead surface also keeping the heat on them down.

I'm almost 100% sure it's not the wire, it's the build. Kanthal would do the exact same thing in this scenario, it just may take an extra second or so for the legs glow hot like that due to the slower ramp up.

Try my suggestion out and if you still have issues, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you get this problem resolved.

Hi. The Alien Clapton is definitely wrapped the other way just like u suggested and it's working fine. I'm sure it's not the atty.

I'll try wrapping a SS wIre the other way when this coil I'm using wears out.

And thanks for the reply everyone.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
Hi. The Alien Clapton is definitely wrapped the other way just like u suggested and it's working fine. I'm sure it's not the atty.

I'll try wrapping a SS wIre the other way when this coil I'm using wears out.

And thanks for the reply everyone.

Awesome, I'm glad you got things sorted out [emoji1]

Joeteboe

Dec 31, 2016

Yes I've had similar issues with mine. Hot legs. I don't get them all the time but once in a while my coils will go from perfect firing to melting the legs. And yes horrid burning taste after a fresh drip

Khanninnarh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2016
Yes I've had similar issues with mine. Hot legs. I don't get them all the time but once in a while my coils will go from perfect firing to melting the legs. And yes horrid burning taste after a fresh drip

Check the post above. The coils work better the other way around.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I believe what's going on is those legs are too long and not making contact with the wick so they have no way of being cooled down as fast as the rest of the coil. Wrapping in the other direction so the leads go down into the well should fix that issue.
So you can tell by looking at that pic that none of the coils are touching, or close to touching on the bottom side of the coil? I need a new pair of glasses it would seem. Not wanting to argue or anything of the nature, was merely a suggestion. I only used the mesh reference as an example. I had the same problem regardless of wicking when I was building spaced coils. Sometimes when one coil was a little closer to another, (look closely at the middle wrap how it is not centered between the wraps on either other side of it), it just caused problems and in my experience, was exactly the same thing as his. It wasn't until I started building contact coils that hot legs weren't a problem anymore. That pic was in indication of hot legs in my experience and no amount of wicking or juice will fix it...

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
15578322_1833471493608452_4293633267170701896_o.jpg

This was posted in the Psyclone Mods group earlier. These are all the attys that Mac has produced and will eventually be released. The Kryten, 5th from the left, is next to be released. The Hadaly is on the far right and the Citadel is to its left. From the outside, the Citadel looks like it could be a 24 or 25mm version of the Hadaly. That would interest me quite a bit. I really wish we could've gotten some pics of the decks.

Great post. My Hadaly gives my Narda a run for its money. It's easier to build on too. Using a single coil, 3mmID, 316L, 7/6, spaced on both it is really hard to tell the difference as both just kill it for flavor while also providing great vapor. I will look at the other attys in the family as well.

Reactions: jhhollier

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
So basically it sounds like instead of fixing a hot leg issue by adjusting your build or wrapping the coil correctly you're suggesting wrapping the coil in such a way that you're using the airflow to cool the hot leg, not actually fixing the issue. They have a phrase for that! LOL!

As an aside, I've had my authentic Hadaly for a few weeks and have had nary a problem with hot legs once with a .6 ohm Clapton contact coil.

Here's my build that has been in for about 2 weeks and other than a wick change and dry burns one a week it's been perfect!

BTW: Don't laugh at the Phillips head screw! I DETEST flat head screws and I soon as I find another Phillips head in my vape box I'm swapping that other screw out!!

ecaa46b148620a3f8d95b4051243d69e.jpg

Edited to Add:

...and besides. all the "...delving into the science..." (LOL!) in the world doesn't change the fact that the makers of the Hadaly have an airflow diagram that shows how it's supposed to be set up. Jerry-rigging a coil to cool down hot legs is no solution for poor coil building.
14518347_1790034381285497_1278016020_n__31832.1475119039.1280.1280.jpg

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Im debating on picking up either an apocalypse gen 2 or the mose by mcm. Anyone with experience with these?
Just the Apocalypse Gen 2 for me. With the airflow wide open, it's about equal to the Goon 24 (if you've used that). For me, the flavor is better from the Apocalypse. It's also a lot easier to build thanks to the beveled clamp plates. You can just slide your leads in unlike with the Goon. It's pricier than the Goon 24 but worth it IMO. I'd definitely consider picking up a second. I'm also looking at the Elite Gen 2 but I'm concerned that it'll be way too airy and kill flavor.

Reactions: NCCTC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread