RDA RDA Super Noob Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam775

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Nevada
So, I'm home sick, on the tail end of a 2week flu that's been ridiculously long and I'm bored. After doing a bunch of reading I thought I would give this K101 and Igo W5 a try. Then I found some of Baditude's posts and a healthy dose of self preservation and a new-found love for my digits kicked in and I scraped that idea. With nothing else to do but lay in bed and cough, read and repeat it dawned on me that I have an itaste vv v3 and it could work with a single coil on the Igo? Right?

I've played with building coils at a B&M, under experienced supervision, so I have a vague idea of what I'm doing. I have a multi meter (my husband's) that I can use and 24g wire. I'm thinking a 1.4ohm single coil would work for my purposes. Which by the way are two-fold, 1) wanting to gain some experience safely and 2) wanting to be able to test my juices in the steeping process.

That same sense of self preservation mentioned above, has prompted me to post here and ask if there's anything I'm missing, safety wise with using my itaste and the Igo together? Does a 1.4 single coil seem like a reasonable place to start?
Please don't bash the noob, everyone had to start :vapor:somewhere, eh?
~Cam

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
24AWG probably isn't the gauge you want for that. A 1.4ohm single coil build with a 3mm inside diameter (for example) is going to be like 16 wraps and will be a huge coil. Your VV V3 probably doesn't have the sack to heat that much metal. A 28AWG 1.4ohm build would only need like 6 or 7 wraps and will heat up much quicker.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
24AWG probably isn't the gauge you want for that. A 1.4ohm single coil build with a 3mm inside diameter (for example) is going to be like 16 wraps and will be a huge coil. Your VV V3 probably doesn't have the sack to heat that much metal. A 28AWG 1.4ohm build would only need like 6 or 7 wraps and will heat up much quicker.

Agree. A vv v3 will take forever to heat that up. Try 28 gauge.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Also, go for it! Definitely with 28 gauge to start. The fact that you're actually worried about your digits tells me you'll almost certainly be vaping safely :)

Don't worry too much about the resistance, you've got variable voltage.

Lower resistance (1.4 ohm) with lower gauge wire (28 min, more metal to heat) or higher resistance with higher gauge is the way to go for the VV.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Contrary to the fear mongers, it's actually not that easy to blow yourself up with a mech. Especially if you are using a good battery and a build within its limits.

As stated a million times, skip 24g.
It's pretty much useless for anything outside of subohm builds. Top that off with your VV3 definitely not being able to handle subohms and the K101 not being an ideal device to subohm with either (too much voltage drop, very inefficient )

I would also recommend shooting for at least slightly lower resistance. Most drippers are rather dull with coils with that much resistance unless you have a more advanced/powerful regulated device.

Even a 1ohm coil at most won't draw 5amps, and even a mediocre IMR battery can do that very easily and safely.

Cam775

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Nevada
Thanks for the responses and advice, I really appreciate any help I can get. After reading through this thread yesterday I took a trip out of the house (finally) and picked up 28gauge and 30gauge so I'm going to give it a go today.

I'm thinking the B&M sold me the 24gauge for building dual coils at 1.5 each. The shop I went to yesterday tested the coil I had on there and it was 3ohm. Does it work like that for dual coils? I wanted to stick with a single coil to start with because it hasn't been that long since I quit smoking and I'm still using 18 or 24 nic juice. I do have some 12nic though so if I try dual coils in the future I can use that.

I forgot to mention another reason I'd like to get better with coil building is that I have a reaction to high PG juice, so everything I have right now is 100%vg. I have an order coming of 90/10 to try and see if I can handle 10% PG.

To answer kickflipsnnollies question, there's nothing wrong with using the k101 (I bought a better battery for it yesterday also), I plan to use it, but after I feel more confident with knowing what I'm doing. I want to start with something regulated and when I feel comfortable and confident move onto the k101.

I do need to buy another battery. I have 3 tanks I'm using solid right now, an Aero Mega, full sized Nautilus and a mini Nautilus. So I want another vv battery I can use with those tanks and the Igo W5. I'm thinking something with a much better vv range so that it'll serve me into the future as I get more experienced with coil building. Suggestions? Box or tube doesn't really matter to me. I'd also like to get a Kayfun sometime in the future too, to try a rebuildable with a tank so something that would work well with that also.

Last edited:

Cam775

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Nevada
3 Harry Potter movies with my daughter and I finally got it figured out!! It also dawned on me after waking up a bit that, duh, if I'm checking my ohms there's no reason I couldn't use the k101 so I'm vaping on that. I also found the answer to the dual vs single coil question so maybe by the time we make it to Harry Potter #8 I'll have a dual coil figured out.

Happy Sunday All!! & thanks again for the help.

Cam775

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Nevada
Dual coils: When creating a build with dual coils, your resistance will always be split between the 2 coils. For example, two coils measuring 1.0Ω equally, translates into a .5Ω total build. Two 1.5Ω coils results in a .75Ω build. Two 2.0Ω coils results in a 1.0Ω build, etc.
Thanks, that's a much easier way to explain it than the blog post I bookmarked.

Cam775

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Nevada
18 or 24 mg, even 12 mg juice in a dripper is gonna be ROUGH. I used to vape either 12, 16 or 18 mg juice in tanks and had to drop down to 6 mg.

I've been ordering 24, 18 & 12 juice. I have just one bottle of 6mg, it's Admiral Crunchberry, dead ringer for the cereal but I can't really handle it. Last night I was using the 12 on the single coil and it was the perfect nic boost my body's been looking for. Right now I'm so fresh off the cigarettes I still wake up wanting one or getting ready to get in the car my mind automatically goes, yay! cigarette time! then the rational part kicks in with grab the tank, lol. I can see how 12nic on dual coils would be too much. More juice shopping, how sad :D I swear, this learning curve with vaping has pretty much blown my yearly budget of what I would've spent on smokes. But so worth it for my family and myself.

If you can handle it, more power to you. I smoked 2-3 packs per day of RYO full flavors (can't really get more nic than that till you get away from cigs) and I still can't do more than 6 mg in my dripper. Not cause my body can't handle it, but because my throat can't take it. I've yet to get a head rush even when I was stuck with 16 mg juice when I got my first RDA, but after a day my throat would be ridiculously sore and dry. The next morning I had to smoke cigs because I simply couldn't handle the juice in the morning.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
18 or 24 mg, even 12 mg juice in a dripper is gonna be ROUGH. I used to vape either 12, 16 or 18 mg juice in tanks and had to drop down to 6 mg.

Different strokes :)

I've been dripping 24 for a few weeks, but only at 15 watts, mind you. Dual coil fogger also at 15 watts and 24mg, although I did just mix a bunch of ~20mg to make mixing easier.

OP, If you're fresh off the smokes, get that boat to float whatever it takes, my friend! I'm about 3 months smoke free, and still using 24mg. While I'm not trying to decrease my nic intake, I'd still say "slow and steady" if that's your thing.

ETA: If the juice is too harsh (and lots of build-related variables can be the culprit instead; I can attest to that), you can always buy pure VG for about $5 from CVS. Dilute your mix to see if the nic content is the culprit, before buying a whole new bunch of juice :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread