rDNA 40? Wait? Or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
All of my orders (5+) from VS have come from Florida to California in two days. They are pretty consistent in that regard. My rDNA40 has been rock solid and bullet proof (purchased on Cyber Monday).

Awesome! I was also concerned about the coating peeling off, but just found out that they may have changed how they do the paint job on the model with the larger screen. Not sure if I believe that, but we'll see.

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Awesome! I was also concerned about the coating peeling off, but just found out that they may have changed how they do the paint job on the model with the larger screen. Not sure if I believe that, but we'll see.

They changed the coating on the DNA30 to match the rDNA coating about two weeks after I ordered my original DNA30. I was bummed that I got one with the old paint job...which is atrocious! My original paint is coming off even with very gentle use, it's my only complaint about the VS DNA30 with the original paint.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
They changed the coating on the DNA30 to match the rDNA coating about two weeks after I ordered my original DNA30. I was bummed that I got one with the old paint job...which is atrocious! My original paint is coming off even with very gentle use, it's my only complaint about the VS DNA30 with the original paint.

Hence one of my many concerns. You would think that for a $200 mod (previous price) their QC would be excellent. Only time will tell, I suppose.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
i have the rDNA40 model, the paint was really nice rubbery feeling, and really only 'chipped' because I dropped mine. When I went to peel some of the paint off it was pretty difficult, its kind of layered thick on there.

Thats great to hear! I am making a spacer to keep the atty from touching the base. I believe thats where most of the damage can be seen.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Thats great to hear! I am making a spacer to keep the atty from touching the base. I believe thats where most of the damage can be seen.

yeah over time, you will see scratches in the rubbery paint, good thing though is that its ontop and hidden underneath the atomizer all the time anyways.

Reactions: GrandSam

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
I love both of mine the 30w and rDNA40. The only thing I can complain about is the finish it still sucks and will come off. My wifes 30w is going down for a refinish either stripped and a wrap or cerakote. My 40 will be next the coating is coming off after a little over a month. Luckily the shark skins are covering the ugly for now. Finish isn't that important to me anyway function is and they have been perfect.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
yeah over time, you will see scratches in the rubbery paint, good thing though is that its ontop and hidden underneath the atomizer all the time anyways.

I just made a small plastic spacer. Seems to be working just fine. Hopefully it keeps the atty from scratching the rDNA.

I love both of mine the 30w and rDNA40. The only thing I can complain about is the finish it still sucks and will come off. My wifes 30w is going down for a refinish either stripped and a wrap or cerakote. My 40 will be next the coating is coming off after a little over a month. Luckily the shark skins are covering the ugly for now. Finish isn't that important to me anyway function is and they have been perfect.

I heard that they never actually fixed the finish issue. I intend on keeping mine in the skin. Fortunately, it adds a bit of girth to the rDNA, which is perfect.

I'd wait. just saw a glimpse of the DNA200 chip with temp control....

That's something I'd love to see.

3 quick questions:

1) My rDNA seems to continue showing the "temperature protected" message even after I've let off the fire button. The message will appear and disappear, about 2 times. Is this normal?

2) How does the battery meter work? I heard it was different, relative to other devices.

3) Is the onboard charger (Zip charging) safe? I know, "why would they include it as a feature if it weren't?" I've heard of a few devices going bad due to users using a micro usb charger to charge them.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
plastic spacer seems like a good idea, i just hope it isnt as ugly as some of the rdna40's i seen. Theres some people who stick some ugly tape on there and make it look more hideous than if it had scratches :rolleyes:

1 - the temp flashing is normal

2 - ignore the battery meter it pretty much sucks. itll go from full to empty in a matter of minutes, it is unreliable battery meter.

3 - I've used onboard charging when I got it for 2ish months without noticing anything. I charge my batteries in external chargers now though, so I can just swap and keep vaping rather than waiting for it to charge. Even though some might say it is safe to vape it as a passthrough while charging, I think otherwise.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
plastic spacer seems like a good idea, i just hope it isnt as ugly as some of the rdna40's i seen. Theres some people who stick some ugly tape on there and make it look more hideous than if it had scratches :rolleyes:

1 - the temp flashing is normal

2 - ignore the battery meter it pretty much sucks. itll go from full to empty in a matter of minutes, it is unreliable battery meter.

3 - I've used onboard charging when I got it for 2ish months without noticing anything. I charge my batteries in external chargers now though, so I can just swap and keep vaping rather than waiting for it to charge. Even though some might say it is safe to vape it as a passthrough while charging, I think otherwise.

Thanks so much! The plastic spacer is actually just a plastic disk with a hole drilled in the center. Place the 510 through the hole, and wala, you get a discreet gap. I figured the battery meter was garbage. I'll probably stick to the onboard charger. Getting this thing out of the skin seems like its going to be a hassle...and I can see the skin tearing. Besides, I have a another DNA40 to use as backup anyways.

Treeburner1983

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey all, one final question.

Does the rDNA 40 have some type of boost feature? I set mine to 14W and it fires at around 16-18W then drops below 14.

In TC mode the rDNA40 does pre-heat, meaning it will fire at higher than the set wattage for a split second to get the coil up to temperature. That's why you're seeing the increased wattage.

-Treeburner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread