Re-Visiting the EVOD for the very first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Greetings, I took advantage of a Labor day Sale and picked up a handful of "EVOD KIT"s for a mere $5 a kit. While I often wondered if the site would actually ship me the kits at that very silly price the kits I ordered showed up yesterday. I unpacked one this AM.

The full kit includes 2xbattery+tanks along with a 5-pack of extra coils and US USB charger and charge cord. Everything but a bottle of juice.

While I started my vaping experience on a iTaste Clk! I really was not sure what to expect here. The CLK! has VV and pass through USB charging. Otherwise these are very similar devices.

The batteries arrived with almost a full charge on them so all was needed was to fill the tanks. My first fill of some VERY RUNNY 7mg juice flooded the 1st tank. I ended up dumping it and refilling with some %100VG 12MG juice. Filling was a bit of a challenge as the tip of my bottles are as large or larger than the gap between the center and the outside of the tank. Of note I was actually happy to see what looks like Silica rope for the wick. Hence no burnt cotton when the tank runs dry.

I picked up a bunch of RED ones that I was very pleased with the color tone of the mod+tanks. They look nice. About the same OD as the CLK! but much shorter (by 1-2"), the VV regulator and uUSB interface on the CLK! must take up extra space.

As expected, there is no air flow or voltage adjustment on these things - what you get is what you get. It is hard to compare to the CLK!+Aspire K1's that I use as I've modified the K1's by drilling out one of the itty bitty air holes on the 510 and drive the K1's with ~4V on the CLK!.
    My first impressions is that I'm getting a rather weak and lame vape. I can sense already that the 12mg won't be enough and I'll refill with +18mg to get any type of "hit" out of it. I can see that this is a "toodle puffers" or MTL vapor's dream - fairly tight draw with fairly low to very low vapor production.

Continual puffing on it gets the bottom of the tank noticeably warm. Due to the length and size of my hands I find myself blocking one of the 510 air holes quite often. I can see how this is a 'step up' from products like a "Blu" 'cig-a-like' but not quite APV level. The mere size of the mod+tank is very attractive if not impressive that they were able to fit everything into such a small package.

I think I'll mix up some %100VG 24mg and try that out.

28988766173_abbab40b6f.jpg

Above is the newfangled (to me at least) Evod with an iTaste CLK! +K1 and Sigelei vMax v5 +KFv4 on my night stand. Going from bottom to top each puts out ~2x the vapor.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kross8

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I really enjoyed my EVODS but gave them away when I upped my gear.

I had completely skipped over them. However while collecting inexpensive starter gear for friends and family I got a great deal on these. I know back in the day many got off of 'analogs' using Evods so I'm finding the experience interesting.

I have one now filled with 24mg juice and I can see the potential of these tiny things. My phone camera was unable to capture the pretty Burgandy color of battery+tank.

I'm actually liking the little fella's and might keep one kit for myself!

Reactions: ScandaLeX

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    EVODS are what I started with when I quit back in '13. I bought another starter kit and a 20 pack of coils a couple of weeks to throw in my Vapeocolypse stash.

Though I've since upgraded to my preferred setup years ago (Reos, and Provaris with Kayfuns and/or cartotanks) I'm still a staunch Tootler!

I loaded up one of the EVODS with some juice (a NET tobacco just like I started vaping with!) the other day and to my surprise it's still a great vape! Of course I used the lowest ohm coils they make for it (1.8) so I could get a little oomph out of the battery.

It was a great nostalgia trip for me!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I still have my evod attys, T3's and protanks and all their innards. Evod was one of my stepping stones along my journey. The evods small tank was a reason of them being replaced by the protanks eventually but they still performed good. I may never use them again but anywho if I want to step back in time then I'll fire one up and have a flashback.

Reactions: aikanae1

penstyle

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    FL
    Evod slash Protanks are taking up a lot of space in my stash toolbox. So I must have really liked them. But I never really used them as is. Started modding them and you may or may not be surprised at the coils I stuff in there. Not earth shattering but pushing the limit.

Put away my last Protank 2 not long ago. Then somehow a Protank mini showed up on my old MVP. Guess I cant let go. LOL

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    Protanks are still a fantastic vape to this old Tootle Puffer! I rebuild my coils to 1.2 - 1.5 ohms and throw it on a Provari and Bam! Excellent vape!

I did forget to mention when I snagged my new EVOD kit I also snagged 2 Protank 2 full size and 2 Minis!

Great vape right there!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foggy Road

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Great feedback folks!

My goals now are to see how long: the batteries will last on a charge, a full tank lasts and lastly how long a coil will last. Granted all the above is very dependent on vaping style, I wish to get a "feel" to pass onto my unknowing friends who eventually will get most of these.

The 2xEvods are the 1st order to come in. I have some 1600-1800mah Evods, Emew's and Vision spinner kits on the way. All appear to take a fairly similar coil, tank capacity. The larger ones have VV and the tanks on some may have adjustable AFC (and larger capacity).

While the industry is seemingly clamoring for bigger and higher power stuff I find these older gear refreshing. However to be a advantage for me my juice consumption would have to be less than 1/4 of what I'm currently going through on a TFV4/TC100 setup (currently outfitted with 7mg juice).

:facepalm: My first charger swap this AM did not go very well. With out looking closely I went to unscrew the tank from the battery and when I went to screw the battery onto the charger I realized that I had removed the base+coil from the tank and there was a small puddle where I sat the tank down. :lol:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Gosh this little "mod" has me in a "retro" mood.

Long before I picked up the EVOD's for a song I'd stacked up a few FT orders of some other old Kanger gear. The first of which to arrive is the Genuine Kanger Twists and EMOW style tanks. Funny how the coils between the EMOW and EVOD are similar but not the same.

When I unpacked the extra coils I bought for the EMOW my heart sank as they were to small. Might they fit the EVOD? Sure enough they do but the 1.5Ohm coils I bought were a little to much for the juice I had in the EVOD.

I had read that recoiling the EVOD heads was "crazy easy" and I happened to have a bag or two of prewound coils. Might they work? Sure enough - perfect! It was crazy easy after all! Makes dealing with Aspire coils a joke - why bother with Aspire when these things are so darn easy?

While I'm sure to see about getting some 1.8ohm coils on order (along with some that actually DO fit the EMOW) the lower resistance coil was just enough to wake up the EVOD to produce a decent enough vape.

I've been vaping on nothing but the EVOD so far today and still kinda like it.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    My experience has been the 1.8Ω coils are not what you want because they need something like 3.2 volts to not burn juice on long drags. The Kanger 2.2's have a tiny amount more wire surface area than the 1.8's or 2.5's although I'd stick with the latter if I had any fixed voltage batteries (3.7 V).

Currently I don't use them that much, mostly when away from home and car, and charge one 650 mA battery a week. When I used 3 in rotation, they'd all need charge in about 2 days, although I tried to keep them out of sync. The supposed 1800 mA Spinner clone lasted maybe 25% longer.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 2, 2013
    az
    There was a vender (Vape Super Saver, closed now) that sold Kanger Evods and pens in bulk. I passed out tons to friends. Until recently, they were still my qst pick for heavy long term smokers who were probably dealing with lung damage and couldn't handle much vapor to begin with. Easy to carry, simple, cheap. Sigh. I'm glad there's more choices now but I hate to see them left behind. I had bundles of them when I first started and loved playing with all the colors.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jingles

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    My experience has been the 1.8Ω coils are not what you want because they need something like 3.2 volts to not burn juice on long drags. The Kanger 2.2's have a tiny amount more wire surface area than the 1.8's or 2.5's although I'd stick with the latter if I had any fixed voltage batteries (3.7 V).

Thanks for the heads up. I mistakenly ended up with 25 1.5ohm coil heads. The 1.5 were surely WAY to much for the EVOD tank.

I find the 2.5's a bit on the lame side. However my one 1.8ohm seems about right. (I'll have to vape on it until it wears out) Maybe I'll order 2.0 or 2.2 not sure here at this time.

Currently I don't use them that much, mostly when away from home and car, and charge one 650 mA battery a week. When I used 3 in rotation, they'd all need charge in about 2 days, although I tried to keep them out of sync. The supposed 1800 mA Spinner clone lasted maybe 25% longer.

Only ~25% longer? I'm hoping that the Genuine 1600 Evod Twists I got last at least 2x longer than the 650mAH Evods.

Sadly the other 1/2 has come to the realization that she does not like my vapor any more than she liked the 2nd hand smoke. Since these are fairly to very low output devices I plan on using them at home and saving my higher output devices for outside and out and about.

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    PhiLLy
    There was a vender (Vape Super Saver, closed now) that sold Kanger Evods and pens in bulk. I passed out tons to friends. Until recently, they were still my qst pick for heavy long term smokers who were probably dealing with lung damage and couldn't handle much vapor to begin with. Easy to carry, simple, cheap. Sigh. I'm glad there's more choices now but I hate to see them left behind. I had bundles of them when I first started and loved playing with all the colors.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
    Closed down? Was just on their site & they appear to be open for business.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Two more of my orders have come in so I now have 3 types of EVODS:
    29081059284_d95e19d582.jpg

Evod twist on the left, Evod 3-speed in the middle and Evod-1 on the right. They all have their own USB charger (hard to keep track of which goes to which) and each tank has their own coil. Sadly (or comically) the coils I bought to go with the twist work on the Evod-1 and the coils I bought for the Evod-1 go with the 3-Speed. Naturally I need more coils. :cry:

I can see why the 'kit' for some of these include a very small needle tip bottle as my plastic tipped bottles are almost to large to fill these tanks.

The Evod-1's battery will last as least as long as a full tank. This makes a natural switch point - refill+recharge+switch to other Evod-1. I've been vaping almost exclusively on the Evod-1 since I got up this AM and its holding up surprisingly well. On my normal much higher vapor production setups I would of easily gone through 3-5ml of juice by this point in the day. I estimate the Evod's tank as 2/3 full. A major reduction in juice consumption.

However the nicotine consumption is on par (or slightly less) with the higher output devices as I have the Evod-1 filled with 18mg and normally run the higher output devices with 7mg.

Long term I think the lower mg juice tastes better. The high mg stuff eventually leaves a after taste/coating in my mouth like I'd get from smoking a cigar or something.o_O

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Update: I'm still vaping on and liking these little EVOD's.

Battery life with a 1.8ohm coil is about a tank full. The 1.8's are borderline draw to much power, care is needed not to over heat your juice. Works great with nice short draws. I have some 2.0 and 2.2 ohm coils on a slow boat from FastTech. The 2.5ohm coils it came with can be gotten used to but seem to be slightly weak to my sense of vaping.

I'm still vaping on the 1st set of coils I started with.

Juice wise I found that 50/50 mix is to thin and would eventually flood the atomizer and cause gurgling and seepage into the 510. If you stay on top of it and ether invert the Evod so the extra juice just runs out the drip tip (or a few sharp shakes) will clear the flood. I find that nearly %100VG or %100VG works better in these devices. The silica rope sticks out of both sides of the atomizer and the coil is RIGHT THERE on the other side of the metal making priming unneeded.

The only real down side is in the filling. The tank is so small that a long needle tip bottle is recommended to fill as there really is not much room between the center air shaft and the outside of the tank.

Over all I count myself as pleasantly surprised with these and could easily recommend them to beginner vapors or someone looking for a 'stealth mod' that is very small and light.

Here's a Evod and Emow with two of the devices that I was using before:
    29138876444_8590c65a7e.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread