Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I build a very simple coil. Generally 1.2 Ohm, 28 gauge, 2.5 mm and use a cotton wick. When I first build it, it will glow perfectly - center out. I don't get the thing more than a glow. When I go to carefully change wicks, it will never glow center out again. It is always hotter at one end. This is shown by a gentle pulse and one end will show hotter. Any suggestions or is this a normal thing?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I'm in the same boat (and make a similar coil...normally use 29 gauge 2mm id).

I used to try and rewick, but I either screw up the coil taking the cotton out, or like you, had hot legs and poor performance. I just remake coils when the wick needs changed now.

I reluctantly liked your post because, at this point, I don't know what to do other than recoil.

Reactions: petrotech

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I don't know how people generally remove their wicks, but one thing I've started doing that helps prevent the pulling action from deforming the coil is I snip off one end of the wick right where it meets the coil, so I'm only pulling out the bit that's left inside the coil. I usually pick whatever end of the wick seems thicker/wider (if there's any difference), and snip off that bit, as close to the coil as possible.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Each of these sound like excellent suggestions, I can easily try all three. Thank you.
[none of the three were contradictory:lol:]

Is your coil spaced or contact? When I still used single wire builds I always spaced coil & didn't have that issue.

In between wickings I'll strum/squeeze to get it glowing correctly again.
26g is the smallest I use, so it's less prone to distorting.

I don't know how people generally remove their wicks, but one thing I've started doing that helps prevent the pulling action from deforming the coil is I snip off one end of the wick right where it meets the coil, so I'm only pulling out the bit that's left inside the coil. I usually pick whatever end of the wick seems thicker/wider (if there's any difference), and snip off that bit, as close to the coil as possible.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
Are your coils "gunked" when you rewick?
I have had to do multiple gradual glows on mine to clean them, it's like the coating prevents the glow middle out.
I do like sweet juices and typically run fused claptons so I see this alot when rewicking.
Basically on the first pulse or two, it doesn't glow in the middle, but after a couple more the coils burn clean and operate normally.
Do as you mentioned though and don't overheat them.
Maybe this will help you out.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I build a very simple coil. Generally 1.2 Ohm, 28 gauge, 2.5 mm and use a cotton wick. When I first build it, it will glow perfectly - center out. I don't get the thing more than a glow. When I go to carefully change wicks, it will never glow center out again. It is always hotter at one end. This is shown by a gentle pulse and one end will show hotter. Any suggestions or is this a normal thing?

Could be that your Atomizer doesn't grip 28ga wire well.

Sometimes, the ends of the Screws that trap the wire have a lot of Chamfer on them. Filing them Flatter can help.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
That is definitely the way to pull out the old wick.........

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Figured to throw a picture of my lasted coil build. 2-26ga. Nichrome 80,4/3 wraps. .25-.30 ohm.
.3ohm Nichrome 80 Build (9).jpg

Normally I don't like to burn the coils at all. I clean the wire with 90% alcohol, and if the build is reading good,,, just wick it . BUT,, wick it right.
I've noticed poor performance from coils being re-wicked repeatedly. A cheap/new coil build is the way to go after a few days. Its just the extra time that's needed.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Are your coils "gunked" when you rewick?
I have had to do multiple gradual glows on mine to clean them, it's like the coating prevents the glow middle out.
I do like sweet juices and typically run fused claptons so I see this alot when rewicking.
Basically on the first pulse or two, it doesn't glow in the middle, but after a couple more the coils burn clean and operate normally.
Do as you mentioned though and don't overheat them.
Maybe this will help you out.
I like the sweet juice as well, and yes, they take a toll on the coils.
At the point of trying to burn them clean, ( after a few days use.) They never produce the same as when new..

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Off the exact topic you brought up,,, The Juppi Tank ( by Kangertech ) is the only coil that seems to hold out for many weeks. Just to do a light torching to clean them up, and wrap some new cotton around. ( Not to tight. ) Then slide down into the coil head, using angled tweezers.
The Juppi , IMO, is one of the greatest tanks to come out in the last year or so. The coil is a strange .2 NiCr coil. Best to refit it together and make sure the positive / negative contacts are in place before filling. ( That's what I learned to never have a problem with this style coil. )

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The only thing I can figure out is gunk can be a semiconductor, because usually the mod measures the same resistance with its low level test, yet it acts shorted as soon as you hit it with full power. Sometimes I really have to yank the windings apart to get them unstuck, and that's with a close spaced wind, contact is even worse. A neat thing about spaced is being able to squeeze it a bit and crack out the burnt gunk (and then stretch it back out with tweezers if needed). Currently I use low flavor ejuice, but then go 8 days on a wick (about 70 ml). The coil doesn't look bad at all and yet always need work. I use TC and I know it's getting bad when I start seeing the occasional "New Coil?" messages.

One thing I've noticed with dry burn is a little pulse is all that's needed and most of the gunk will start burning off by itself. I stick it out the door for that because of the stink, then give a couple quick pulses and move into the mechanical cleaning. Then test and burn off anything from the tweezers before wicking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread