The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ready to start building, just need to know where to start.

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by Who_Dey_1991, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Who_Dey_1991

Who_Dey_1991 Super Member Verified Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Ohio
    I'm ready to start building coils now. There's a plethora of information on YouTube to show me how, but what I need help with now is the starting point.

I'm not a dropper, don't think I will be for the foreseeable future, so I'm ruling out RDA's. But I'm not sure if I should start with an RBA or RTA. Is one possibly easier to build on than the other? Are there advantages/disadvantages to one over the other?

I'm going to be buying the Smok Alien 220 kit with the baby beast within the week, and I know that tank has an RBA core, so if RBA's are easier/better, sweet. If not, I'll buy an RTA as well.

I know there's also the personal preference factor, so basically what I'm asking from all you experienced builders is list some pro's and con's for each one then tell me what you prefer and why? In my short time here I've found I have very similar taste to some of you out there, so that will greatly help my decision.

Thanks in advance for any help, and vape on!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    RBA = rebuildable atomizer. Both RDAs and RTAs are technically RBAs. Atomizers that are designed for your own coil builds are generally easier and better to build on than clearos designed for coil heads.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Who_Dey_1991

Aug 22, 2016
    Ohio
    So your saying having the full deck to build on is generally easier than trying to build in a coil head? Cause that's the idea I was getting, but I wanted some confirmation. Plus I don't have the steadiness of hands anyway. I might not be physically able to build a coil if the deck is too small.

4. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, RBA heads for clearomizers are usually smaller and make other compromises in their construction as the clearo's are primarily intended for prebuilt coil heads. The Ijoy Limitless Combo seems interesting though. Several different types of swapable decks available, including prebuilt coil heads. Looks to be a no-compromise RTA. I don't have one though so I don't know what it's like for real (I have the Limitless and Limitless+).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Who_Dey_1991

Aug 22, 2016
    Ohio
    Guess I need to start looking into RTA's then. Next challenge? Finding an affordable one, so I can buy it (or 2), wire, wicking material, tools, juice and an Alien 220 for under $200.

6. Hightech Redneck

Hightech Redneck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2015
    N C
    Add the limitless classic to the list, they stopped manufacturing the combo I heard and the classic is the replacement.
    But to throw it out there if you like the rdta style look at the ijoy rdta box. Getting great reviews and has the same interchangeable decks, but the big thing is nearly 13ml capacity. I hear some have received them from china but I'm waiting on a us vendor in case there is an issue needing exchange.

7. Rex Everything

Rex Everything Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2014
    Tacoma
    it's small but the baby beast rba head is pretty easy to build on... and only $10...RTA wise the OBS Engine is pretty gravy to build on as is the Griffin mini 25 wicking is really where the magic happens on alot of RTAs

8. Who_Dey_1991

Aug 22, 2016
    Ohio
    Figured I'd update everyone. Bought a Gemini last week. Took me a few tries to fully understand how to build dual coils but I got it figured out.

Got an Alien kit on the way so I'll probably get the RBA deck for the baby beast. Got another Gemini on the way with the Alien. Heard a lot of good things about the OBS Engine and the Griffin 25 so I'll probably get a couple of both as soon as I can.

9. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    RTA's are all about getting the wicking right, in my humble opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hightech Redneck

Hightech Redneck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2015
    N C
    Topped my alien with an azeroth. Loving the alien, the baby beast not so much. Dunno if both the coils in the kit were duds but would get that burnt/hot leg taste if I was anywhere near the "best" wattages. Maybe I'll look at the RBA also.

11. TheBMP

TheBMP Full Member

Jan 6, 2016
    For a beginner (and evryone else that doesnt have one yet tbh) id recommend the obs engine.

Big advantage is that it has top airflow so it wont leak at all. Also it has a decent sized velocity style deck and is easier to wick then most imho. Its cheap,performs great and is really easy to work with all around. just the screws suck a bit ..

Other then that id look into the trendy rtas from few months ago, griffin(25/plus), herakles v2 etc. Having a juice flow control helps alot since wicking correctly without having the tank leak during filling can be kinda tricky on some RTAs.

All of them are quite open draw tho so if youre looking for a mtl alternative ignore all i wrote ~

12. Psofos

Psofos Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2015
    Greece
    I'll second the obs engine.
    It might seem hard to build a dual coil deck when you have no experience,but it really isn't.
    You can have a simple dual coil wicked and running in no time.
    One of the easiest decks to build on and no leaking at all.
    You'll love it.

13. Nayngnottz94

Nayngnottz94 Super Member Verified Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Comgrats bud! Welcome to the world of building, you'll not regrett it, the flavour is great and you got so many different builds you can try out it's pretty much never ending!, I'm yet to attempt a genesis build, looks very interesting....

14. Who_Dey_1991

Aug 22, 2016
    Ohio
    Yea I'm glad I got into building. A lot easier than I thought and other than keeping stocked up on atlantis coils for the tanks I already have, I've saved a bunch.

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

15. Falco78

Falco78 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    United States
    Love my Taifun GT-T V2's I bought. I'd like a few more of them in fact

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.