Status
Not open for further replies.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
I can attest to ReadyXwick's durability. I use the 3mm (or 2.7mm actually) exclusively and I run a wick for say....a month and then I change it just because I need something to do. I use dark tobacco juices too. I've been running unflavored the last 4 days and the wick is pristine.

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
oh no a hard question :) It is lasting weeks and weeks. It lasts so long that I stink at coil building now cause I never have to do it except on occasion, and I promptly trained hubby how to do that lol. I think your eliquid may answer that also, I use unflavored so heck this set up may last the rest of the year! hehe

Tracey

TraceyS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
I can attest to ReadyXwick's durability. I use the 3mm (or 2.7mm actually) exclusively and I run a wick for say....a month and then I change it just because I need something to do. I use dark tobacco juices too. I've been running unflavored the last 4 days and the wick is pristine.

the unflavored makes a difference I think or at least the type of juice you use. I have 3mm and have never tried it, just using the 2mm for a long time.

Tracey

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I too use the 3mm the most. Have only done one 2mm build in my Chalice II, the only atty i still run it in. One of my 2014 Woodvil's/2013 Cyclone's is still running a 3mm build I did last November and used a lot the first months... but I seldom use that woody anymore.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I've tried 2mm years ago and could not get into it.. seemed like it was not enough juice in the wick for a hit.. then finally ordered 3mm and 4mm to try.

Built a few coils with the 2.5mm rod on the Coilmaster v3. Seemed ok hit wise but it was a dry hit. Tried it for a couple of days and still has that dry after taste that makes me think of chalk. Thinking it's the wick and I can taste it so well cause I'm using non flavored DIY juice.

The 4mm using a 3.5mm rod was better but still can't get past the chalky dry taste.

Pull the wick and slap some kgd in the same coil and bliss.. nice moist hits again.

Reactions: coaldriller

Rob.Gee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Montana
So I just received my ready x wick today. Has any one used the coil mast with this stuff? I keep reading about people using a 1/16th or 5/64th rod for the 2mm wick. I don't have either of those sizes. I've tried a 1.5mm rod and a 2mm rod, one seems too tight and the other too loose. Any one have some advice for me? Or do I just need to go get some drill bits?

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Tried both the 2mm and 3mm RxW. Found the 3mm to be better.

I have 2ft of RxW 3mm, but don't use it at the moment. I do like it though in a 3/32 coil. However, using it with the juice I use would defeat the purpose, and wouldn't justify the cost of it. The juice I use (as with all flavored juices) seems to gunk up the coil after about 6ml. At that point, I like removing the wick material to dry burn the coil. Afterwards, I'll re-insert the same wick, or insert a new piece.

I did try Filthy Beast's idea of using a pen torch to dry burn the coil and RxW while on the atomizer. It worked good, but I was concerned about the heat from the pen torch causing damage to the atomizer. Also, the coil wire would get really black after 2 dry burns. So, I found it easier to just keep extra coils and wicking material on hand for quick changing.

What works some may not work for others though. That's the art of vaping. :thumb: Gotta find your comfort zone.

73neb

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
N. California Bay Area
Tried both the 2mm and 3mm RxW. Found the 3mm to be better.

I have 2ft of RxW 3mm, but don't use it at the moment. I do like it though in a 3/32 coil. However, using it with the juice I use would defeat the purpose, and wouldn't justify the cost of it. The juice I use (as with all flavored juices) seems to gunk up the coil after about 6ml. At that point, I like removing the wick material to dry burn the coil. Afterwards, I'll re-insert the same wick, or insert a new piece.

I did try Filthy Beast's idea of using a pen torch to dry burn the coil and RxW while on the atomizer. It worked good, but I was concerned about the heat from the pen torch causing damage to the atomizer. Also, the coil wire would get really black after 2 dry burns. So, I found it easier to just keep extra coils and wicking material on hand for quick changing.

What works some may not work for others though. That's the art of vaping. :thumb: Gotta find your comfort zone.

I use the 3mm on several of my drippers. When they get gunky, I fire the coils till glowing, and then invert the mod and dunk the coils and wicks into a small jar of distilled water. I repeat this twice or until the wicks are back to shiny white and the coils are gunk free. I can actually see the black flecks of gunk fall off in the water. I have used a small torch to heat the wicks while dry burning, but the atty o rings tend to get fried that way. So far with the water cleaning, the coils wear out before the RxW does.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
I use the 3mm on several of my drippers. When they get gunky, I fire the coils till glowing, and then invert the mod and dunk the coils and wicks into a small jar of distilled water. I repeat this twice or until the wicks are back to shiny white and the coils are gunk free. I can actually see the black flecks of gunk fall off in the water. I have used a small torch to heat the wicks while dry burning, but the atty o rings tend to get fried that way. So far with the water cleaning, the coils wear out before the RxW does.

I usually just put drops of distilled water on the coils to help clean it. Good idea about flipping a Dripper (probably on a stick device) upside down and dunking the coils in distilled water. Don't believe I'd like flipping my Reo Grand upside down on a regular basis though. Would probably cause air suction problems in the juice bottle, and lead to Squonking difficulties.

Yes, the coil wire itself wears out quicker than RxW (and other wicking materials too). That's always been my fuss about Kanthal. Many juices will give it a black-brownish look after dry burning, and when water touches it... you'll get a brown rusty look as well. Since Kanthal is so cheap, I just change out the coil at this point to avoid voltage drop, and more work on the battery. Wish Kanthal could handle the dry burning phase better than it does, and look brand new longer as well. I've thought about looking into Titanium wire for this very reason.

Reactions: SkinyFatMan

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I torch my RxW twice a week while is in a Nuppin, no problems with the o rings. It seems to work best if I puff on it until it gets pretty dry and then I light them with the torch. While I'm waiting on that to burn down I'll make the coils glow. Once the fire is out I clean up the wicks with the torch and then another dry burn. When that cools down enough to touch I slide the wicks out enough to clean the part that's inside the coil and then I dip everything in the water to clean the deck of the Nuppin off. Then I move the wicks back into position and dry them with the torch and make sure the coils glow again and it's ready to go. Takes about 5min.

Sliding the wick out of the coils gets all the burnt funky stuff from the inside out, I used to remove them, but that makes them fray a little each time and this method gets the same results.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I wouldn't torch a wick while on an atty.. I've done that a few times in the past on a era atty since I've seen some do that in videos and all it did was burn up the insulator to the positive post. Ended up needing to replace the insulator on that one.

Don't want to vape burnt plastic.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I use the 3mm exclusively still and even with the darkest juice I can run 100's of ml on the same wick and coil.

every 4-5 bottles I dry burn until the coil glows clean. Then I pull the atty and rinse under hot water. Lastly go to my wall mounted hair dryer in the bath room and blow dry it for a minute. Back on the mod and like new again in under 3 minutes.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Lifted from the thread...the "science" behind different coils | Post #11.

i'm looking to learn about the factors that affect different coil builds. off the top of my head i'm wondering about: air flow - under the coil vs directly hitting the coil, combining different wire materials like kanthal and nichrome to get the best of both,

are there any resources besides youtube out there? i don't know if i can handle another video where people just share their personal preferences.

also are there any real advantages to the intricate types of coils (like tiger or clapton and all of that) or is it just for hobbyists?

You get vaporization by way of an effective contact area with the wick. The more efficient that you make that in relationship to air and juice flow the more conversion you get. More actual vapor vs. diffusion, more flavor. Simple formula.

Thirty seconds to an outstanding repeatable baseline vape.

Everything else is fun. Meet ya there.

Good luck.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread