Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Ordered couple of ' today. Tried Nextel when it came out & ekowool a few times, liked flavor of cotton & mesh better. By your accounts & the 240 mostly positive reviews on site thinking this RxW is worth a go.

You'll like it. When this material breaks in it's about the most neutral for flavor and incomparable flow, power handling. I prefer long fiber cotton when I can rewick the darn things every other day. The real business gets done with NexT. It's what allows me to enjoy the variety of my collection. Lot's of good data here on handling. Also take a peek at these threads for background and resources (keywords Nextel, NexT, ceramic)...

Care and feeding of your t.m.c. - Blogs - E-Cigarette Forum

Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!
READYxWICK for non cotton people
Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.

Good luck octa.

:)

IMG_1414a.jpg IMG_1415a.jpg IMG_1416a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: built4feel

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Thanks MacTVip! Gonna thoroughly explore those threads.

Lot of info on these threads! It's easy to get overwhelmed.
I would concentrate and determine coil size INNER diameter first depending if you are getting 2mm RxW or 3mm Rxw. If 2mm, 1/16" drill bit or 16 gauge luer needle tip works well as mandrel. Then target your resistance preference with number of wraps. Big tip - cut the wick at an angle, moisten cut end with a drop of juice, then SCREW in the wick into the coil. Should fit loose but not so loose that it falls out. Should not be tight as it will choke the juice flow. The Rxw will swell as it soaks up the juice.
Good luck and show some pictures of your wick coil build when you get it!

Reactions: MacTechVpr

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I like a 2.4 mm coil form for the 3 mm RXW. As above, cut at an 45 degree angle. When "screwing in" the RXW into the coil, take care to find the correct direction of the coil wind. If the RXW just frays or splits apart rather than moving into the coil as a bolt to a nut then switch the direction of the coil and try again.

I use the Gizmo but to get 2.4 mm I bought "music wire" [whatever that is] at Lowe's and bent it to a shape similar to the coil forms that came with the set.

Engineer

Jun 2, 2014
Toronto
I'm glad I found this thread. Plenty of new insights in here, finding people with experience locally is still pretty few and far between.

Could anyone please post some photos or recommend a build strategy for ni200 build using XC116 or 132 inside a RDA? I haven't really had much luck. Current build is a 5/6 wrap spaced 3mm dia coil using 34 awg ni200, then using a 1/16" dia rod to full expand the sleeving to contact the coil. It just doesn't seem to wick well with high VG juice.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I'm glad I found this thread. Plenty of new insights in here, finding people with experience locally is still pretty few and far between.

Could anyone please post some photos or recommend a build strategy for ni200 build using XC116 or 132 inside a RDA? I haven't really had much luck. Current build is a 5/6 wrap spaced 3mm dia coil using 34 awg ni200, then using a 1/16" dia rod to full expand the sleeving to contact the coil. It just doesn't seem to wick well with high VG juice.

I use 90 to 100 percent VG and, in my experience, the high VG with RXW does not wick well until it has been used a bit and after a dry burn. After this, it seems to wick well.
I use Kanthal so I can't help with ni200.
Hope this is helpful.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

First off, you're not going to get it to wick well as you are not building the optimal coil. For the 2mm RxW it needs to be threaded into a 1/16" coil. It would seem to me that in your setup you are stretching the RxW and that would take away most of, if not all of it's wicking properties. In other words, you are stretching the weaves too far. Some have taken something like a paperclip to hollow out the center after threading it into the coil. I personally have never had to do that and have had zero problems with wicking at all. I pretty much run a 75% VG blend in all my setups...

Engineer

Jun 2, 2014
Toronto
First off, you're not going to get it to wick well as you are not building the optimal coil. For the 2mm RxW it needs to be threaded into a 1/16" coil. It would seem to me that in your setup you are stretching the RxW and that would take away most of, if not all of it's wicking properties. In other words, you are stretching the weaves too far. Some have taken something like a paperclip to hollow out the center after threading it into the coil. I personally have never had to do that and have had zero problems with wicking at all. I pretty much run a 75% VG blend in all my setups...

Im using treated ~3mm OD XC116 (but can build with Nextel 312/xc132 if recommended)
In my listed configuration, the XC116 has a ID of 1/16", whats why I went the route of expanding the sleeve fully with a rod.
Im just trying to figure out a solid ni200 build, I've done 50 or 60 different kanthal builds and have that down to a science now.

Mainly:
- are people doing a space coil directly on their wicks. (insert a rod for support, then hand wrap their ni200 build, and install into the deck)
- Building a spaced coiling and feeding the wick into it?
- Or doing the same, but expanding the wick after placement for better contact with the coils?
- Do you want a tight wrap on the wick with ni200, or do you want to leave a looser connection?

How is the resistance shift when doing your builds? I find XC116 will heat sink the energy of the coil, and throw me into temp protection more often then just straight cotton builds so far.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Im using treated ~3mm OD XC116 (but can build with Nextel 312/xc132 if recommended)
In my listed configuration, the XC116 has a ID of 1/16", whats why I went the route of expanding the sleeve fully with a rod.
Im just trying to figure out a solid ni200 build, I've done 50 or 60 different kanthal builds and have that down to a science now.

Mainly:
- are people doing a space coil directly on their wicks. (insert a rod for support, then hand wrap their ni200 build, and install into the deck)
- Building a spaced coiling and feeding the wick into it?
- Or doing the same, but expanding the wick after placement for better contact with the coils?
- Do you want a tight wrap on the wick with ni200, or do you want to leave a looser connection?

How is the resistance shift when doing your builds? I find XC116 will heat sink the energy of the coil, and throw me into temp protection more often then just straight cotton builds so far.

Are you actually using RxW from RBA Supplies? I think I was confused but I went back and re-read your OP and it would seem you are using the 3mm RxW. Please correct me if I am wrong!! If it is in fact 3mm then you would get better result's with a 3/32" coil. As to the spaced coil vs. tensioned, I've never had any luck with spaced coils at all. They gunk way too fast and I don't get the same juice flow as I do with tensioned coils...or so it seems to me anyway... You would thread the 3mm into the coil the same as the 2mm into the 1/16" coil. All my coils are wrapped on mandrels from the Artistic Wire Gizmo. They all are tension wrapped. As I mentioned, I have never had a spaced coil that vaped well... I actually bought some 3/32" rod that I formed to use because the AWG doesn't come with a 3/32" mandrel. There is a pic of what I made, (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ed-micro-coils-next-step-30.html#post15523755), in another thread. As to expanding the wick, I have never felt a need to do it, though there are some here that feel the need to do it. I have noticed on all my builds, the wick has a definite core after inserting it into my coils so never felt a need to try and open it any further.

I can't help you on the ni200 or temp control as I have never had, nor felt I ever needed any device that was regulated... The closest I ever came to regulation was using a Kick module, (2yrs ago), in one of my devices and though I guess it was nice to vape something consistent from one hit to the next, 10w was just not enough power. At one time using stick atty's it was ok, but now with rebuildables it is rendered useless in my arsenal. My coils that I vape are in the 50-60w range already depending on what I feel like building at the time. If I want to vape at one particular wattage, I just build coils to do so. Coils are easy to wrap and install. Kanthal is cheap... As to anything regulated....it will fail at some point. That has been proven time and again in the last 4yrs. It's inevitable and IMO, expensive. I haven't had a mechanical fail on me in 4yrs other than a spring that has dropped, and that was easily replaced. Just look at all the problems with the DNA's in the last 3yrs...or just in the last 10 months. I know that Evolv will warranty out some of the chips, but the down time on a $200+ device is IMO, not worth my money or time...

Maybe someone that uses temp control will come along and actually have some better answers, but this is a Reo sub forum and the majority of the posters here are mechanical users...

Engineer

Jun 2, 2014
Toronto
Are you actually using RxW from RBA Supplies? I think I was confused but I went back and re-read your OP and it would seem you are using the 3mm RxW. Please correct me if I am wrong!! If it is in fact 3mm then you would get better result's with a 3/32" coil. As to the spaced coil vs. tensioned, I've never had any luck with spaced coils at all. They gunk way too fast and I don't get the same juice flow as I do with tensioned coils...or so it seems to me anyway... You would thread the 3mm into the coil the same as the 2mm into the 1/16" coil. All my coils are wrapped on mandrels from the Artistic Wire Gizmo. They all are tension wrapped. As I mentioned, I have never had a spaced coil that vaped well... I actually bought some 3/32" rod that I formed to use because the AWG doesn't come with a 3/32" mandrel. There is a pic of what I made, (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ed-micro-coils-next-step-30.html#post15523755), in another thread. As to expanding the wick, I have never felt a need to do it, though there are some here that feel the need to do it. I have noticed on all my builds, the wick has a definite core after inserting it into my coils so never felt a need to try and open it any further.

I can't help you on the ni200 or temp control as I have never had, nor felt I ever needed any device that was regulated... The closest I ever came to regulation was using a Kick module, (2yrs ago), in one of my devices and though I guess it was nice to vape something consistent from one hit to the next, 10w was just not enough power. At one time using stick atty's it was ok, but now with rebuildables it is rendered useless in my arsenal. My coils that I vape are in the 50-60w range already depending on what I feel like building at the time. If I want to vape at one particular wattage, I just build coils to do so. Coils are easy to wrap and install. Kanthal is cheap... As to anything regulated....it will fail at some point. That has been proven time and again in the last 4yrs. It's inevitable and IMO, expensive. I haven't had a mechanical fail on me in 4yrs other than a spring that has dropped, and that was easily replaced. Just look at all the problems with the DNA's in the last 3yrs...or just in the last 10 months. I know that Evolv will warranty out some of the chips, but the down time on a $200+ device is IMO, not worth my money or time...

Maybe someone that uses temp control will come along and actually have some better answers, but this is a Reo sub forum and the majority of the posters here are mechanical users...

Yes and no. I am the supplier of Phoenix Wick (treated XC116) available in Canada, South America and Europe. Readyxwick does not export outside of the United States.

I really appreciate your feed back on building tensioned micro coils, but as far as ni200 builds go, spaced coils are pretty much a must. The REO sub forum so far seems to have the largest wealth of knowledgeable users on XC116/readyxwick/etc so it was kinda of long-shot hoping someone else would have experience using ni200 builds.

Again, really appreciate your feedback so far!

Hellow RxW fans, I have been messing around with this for a while now and would like to share. Useing a Oden on a Reos Mod single coil 3 mm ID 28 gauge,I used the 2 mm RxW cut two pieces about half an inch each. I like my vape to omhs out to about .70 that's nice for me. Vertical coil at an angle in front of air hole works best for me. Added some pics so you can see my set up enjoy. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I use kanthal 1to 1.2 ohms and both 2mm wick and 3mm wick, I've found with 2mm wick that spaced coils really work better. I find I get dry hits too soon with tight coils. ID of the coils is critical, I like 1/16, #40 blanks for making the coil. They also tend to need to break in, for me that's about a half a bottle and a dry burn.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Don't you have any problems with hot spots where your wicks aren't touching the coil? If you don't, and it works well, I might have to try this as I have a decent amount of 2mm RxW and don't do 1/16" micros anymore.

Sent by REO vapor
I'm very careful to make sure I don't bugger up the coils while mounting. I line them up and pre position the legs with tweezers instead of just pushing the coil around (messing up the wraps) while mounting. After mounting and wicking I run the smallest mandrel from the Coil gizmo through the center to make sure I have good contact between wick and wraps. It's important when heating and checking the coil before wicking to make sure you don't have a hot leg.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Yes and no. I am the supplier of Phoenix Wick (treated XC116) available in Canada, South America and Europe. Readyxwick does not export outside of the United States.

I really appreciate your feed back on building tensioned micro coils, but as far as ni200 builds go, spaced coils are pretty much a must. The REO sub forum so far seems to have the largest wealth of knowledgeable users on XC116/readyxwick/etc so it was kinda of long-shot hoping someone else would have experience using ni200 builds.

Again, really appreciate your feedback so far!

Muzic's got a good handle E. Glad to have you join us. As a NexT vendor can you give us some feedback on the nominal post heat treated o.d.'s you experience as an outcome. I did a year long research study of NexT as an optimal medium for vaporization. Posted a lot of info on those results here on ECF if you'd care to deep search using XC, NexT and Nextel as search terms.

I found in general .067-.07" and 2.38-2.5mm to be optimal performance diameters for XC 116/132 respectively. Whatever the Ø I try to achieve a deflection of about 8-10% of the final kilned circumference. I know that the surface value can vary based on its treatment. So typical diameters you encounter in your finished product would be helpful.

Also curious why NiC? NexT requires very uniform contact to excel in performance. Spaced winding only distributes power and requires larger builds for high power which NexT thrives on often exceeding the geometric practicalities of most build decks. That's handicapping NexT by design. Again why do that? What's to be gained? Temperature control? My God man temp control's built into this wick. It's ceramic. Put in the right build for it's flow potential and you've got about the best heat sink you could put in any atomizer built in this industry. Why are we trying to build a market for multi hundred $ temp devices when a little user knowledge and your product does it in very finite terms…by targeting resistance?

Also [XC-132's] eschewed here as I'm not sure all understand flow. The fiber density for 132 is quite tight. It's flow potential high and output exceptional when achieved. But mating coil Ø to this precision is imperative. I would def suggest you try some tests of this wick at .067 in a clearo. It's not particularly good on a REO if squonking is considered it's primary feed. NexT is predominantly end fiber wicking and not very permeable at its surface. Put an end in the well, e.g. of a 454 dripper (duals or quads) or a tank feed, and it's superlative in production. Every bit as good or better than any organic fiber. Particularly as Rudy noted above after break-in as inter-fiber spaces are differentiated by flow. This is particularly noted with complex juices as those capillaries accommodate the denser agglomerations of molecules typical of more pigmented juices. Highly recommend the test E. XC-132 is a vastly underrated wick.

Seriously looking forward to your advice.

Good luck E.

:)

p.s. The issue with NexT is putting more (effective) coil on it, not less. More wick (316) seems intuitive but without power it's a waste.

296858d1390192718-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0675a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: built4feel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread