Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I use a 3/32 drill bit for the 3mm which is just a bit smaller than 2.5mm. Took a bit of trimming off frayed pieces to get it wick at first, now it slips in like it belongs there.

Tuck 'em in with a fine flat heat screwdriver TX. When 'nough of 'em catch…push and rotate and they'll all go through. Might even poke out between the turns if you left any gaps. Otherwise, they fold back on themselves neat and tidy like as you apply pressure and turn. It's a beautiful thing.

Wrote earlier on dry burn intervals. More is better. And if kept clean this way can hold up many months in place. Far longer than the alumina on a bad build. Since it runs cooler than any other material because of it's flow it is forgiving as the wind goes sour. But you'll still have to dry burn to limit accumulation. Wick tho…only gets better with juice. LOL

:D G'luck all.

p.s. An ex. premature alumina wear and Fe oxidation while NexT held up nicely (despite higher operating temp's), n.b. not TEMCO Kanthal wire.

full

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
What size drill bit do you use with RXW 4 mm?

Embarrassed to admit I haven't yet. Problem's turned out to be size for me. Finding the suitable atty to take advantage of the flow means finding air. Lot's of it. I'm with Muzic tho on 3.5 prolly about the right compression for this wick for best diffusion, flow velocity. Good snug installation. Certainly won't go into 3.2mm as I suspected. A bit more maybe 9/64" (.14", 3.57mm) might be an easier fit with a tad more flow volume. Or even 5/32" (.156", 3.97mm) as my two samples mic slightly over 4mm kilned. And the weave doesn't compress the inner diameter much at all which was a surprise. Almost like an eggshell in effect. As it breaks in and softens this may allow more compression of the center channel. Kilning really stiffens this broader weave.

This might also be one of the few instances where I depart from keeping t.m.c.'s on the bit through install. Thinkin' it might be best to support the center channel. That is ream the wicked coil pair with deburred drill blanks. I prolly won't wind anything lighter than 25G with this wick so not as concerned for coil stability. The wick's firm enough to support the coil geometry for thick wire if the wind's tight.

Now that you remind me I do have a steammonkey zAtty that's got the space and muscular guts to handle this with verticals. Lookin' for one now! LOL I'm gonna be needin' a heftier pin vise at that! Hmmm. Post here when I do. Really distracted by the Subtanks gotta admit.

G'luck Rayn. :)

Reactions: jifjifjif

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I built the Dark Horse mini w/ 4mm RxW finally and this thing is pure rockin'.... Dual 24g 3.5mm 5/6 wrap .3Ω goodness, I swear it is!!! I was looking for something with better air flow and by god this thing has way more than enough. I'll put up a pic tomorrow.:shock:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I built the Dark Horse mini w/ 4mm RxW finally and this thing is pure rockin'.... Dual 24g 3.5mm 5/6 wrap .3Ω goodness, I swear it is!!! I was looking for something with better air flow and by god this thing has way more than enough. I'll put up a pic tomorrow.:shock:

I'm really digging the RXW 4mm. It wicks superb and holds a bunch of joose. Think I'll try the over the top coil on the Nuppin'. I think it will rock Jeremy did a fine job!

Far out. What are you guys windin' on? I'm lookin' for a good pin vise that'll handle up to 4mm (5/32") to recommend for macro's. I know the EZCoiler set still available through many jeweler supply houses has a 3.5 and 4mm mandrel for it's crank. These are excellent for the DIY jig maker. There are even standard support bases for the mandrel bits. But it's pricey. I'm tryin' to find something inexpensive and reasonable quality for the average builder. Typical PV's only chuck up to 3-3.2mm.

See anything, please let me know.

Good luck.

:)

Reactions: muzichead

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I originally bought a universal "generic" coil master, (Ebay), that had a 3.5mm mandrel in it since my "original" did not. I have since purchased the CM V3 that goes up to 4mm and the rods are twice as long. Also a plus is it now has the ability to wind coils in either direction, which was lacking in the previous versions. This is a huge plus as my coils for the Nuppin's I have need a reverse winded coil. The universal generic CM was only $11 shipped and the CM V3 was $21 shipped. I have recently been tinkering with making some tiger wire that wound up very tightly using the CM V3. I am thinking of trying some of that out on one of my Nuppin's in the single coil variety w/ 4mm RxW... The tiger duals I have in my Bonsai are vaping quite well at the moment and think a single coil in the Nuppin' would be quite vapeable....

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
The 3mm would definitely be better for the smaller atty. The 4mm is just too think and takes up a lot of real estate in the smaller atties. I know the original setup I had in my Bonsai with 4mm, it was so big it choked off the air flow so bad I thought I was vaping on a 14mm atty again with a 1/16" air hole.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I want a pic of the 4mm on the Nuppin.

I built this for my Challice III v2, 29g twisted, used the 1.5mm mandrel on the coilmaster and tucked the wick under to keep the over squonking from filling the air hole. Not sure the wick is working it's best with that bend, but so far it seems to be doing it's intended job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 36
The Coil Master V3 works GREAT for wrapping 4mm coils for the 4mm RxW :) I would DEFINITELY recommend using a 4mm coil for the 4mm RxW :) Lets just say that I have EXTENSIVE knowledge of RxW :) *grin* (too bad Jeremy himself can't come on here and post replies due to ECF "rules" about a vendor talking about their product.)

Reactions: jifjifjif

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
I'm behind the times!
I just tried 3mm for the first time! I have been using 2mm on a 16g size coil now for over a year. Rigged up 29g twisted coil at 1.0 ohms. Mostly because of smaller atties like the Hornet that I was using as well as the RM2s. Also the whole "microcoil" phenomen back then before any such thing as a 22mm atty! Now I am sporting Nuppins so I decided to try and go bigger. Just rigged up a 2.5mm coil with 30g twisted and some 3mm RxW to about the same resistance as my smaller combo. I definitely can tell the difference! With the 3mm I find a richer, warmer, thicker vape. I also can tell a lot sooner when to squonk as the flavor and density tapers off way before I get that hot, stinging sensation when the 2mm size got dry.
I'm liking it! :)

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Rudy, I was exactly the same way. Building on a 2.5mm mandrel and wicking with 3mm ReadyXwick is my favorite way to go. Rather than twisted, I hand wrap 4 wraps of a parallel coil (28ga) and so when I am done, I see 8 individual wire wraps (or 4 double wraps). Mine ohm in at about 4.-.5 and they hit like a beast. All in an RM2.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
A lot builds backed up that recommendation for 2.5mm some time ago…right on this thread. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to duplicate those efforts for 4mm Rxd. So I'd love to hear more from anyone whose been successful with it (and in what, how). I'm looking at 9/64" as a common drill bit that might be a good centerline as I like to test things new peeps can actually get at and try. Unfortunately, 2.5mm isn't but as most see it's a good balance for 3mm and worthwhile getting something with this dia.

For me I've found that 3mm NexT hits its stride with 24/25 guage fat wire. Far and away more effective and repeatable than any of the varieties of twisted I spent makin' for myself as I worked out tension for Protanks. And I really struggled with that because I really enjoyed pullin' out the Ryobi almost as much as I did the Burnz-O-Matic.

One of the unexpected obstacles turns out to be I can't find a pin vise that'll chuck over 3mm. I've ordered several from all over and they don't (even when claimed). Good ones like the Starret don't go there. Have one comin' in from GB that I hope'll get me started. So if anybody's run across one, LMK. Until then I guess I'll have to keep chargin' the 6v packs.

:D

Good luck all.

p.s. Hi Murph!

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm behind the times!
I just tried 3mm for the first time! I have been using 2mm on a 16g size coil now for over a year. Rigged up 29g twisted coil at 1.0 ohms. Mostly because of smaller atties like the Hornet that I was using as well as the RM2s. Also the whole "microcoil" phenomen back then before any such thing as a 22mm atty! Now I am sporting Nuppins so I decided to try and go bigger. Just rigged up a 2.5mm coil with 30g twisted and some 3mm RxW to about the same resistance as my smaller combo. I definitely can tell the difference! With the 3mm I find a richer, warmer, thicker vape. I also can tell a lot sooner when to squonk as the flavor and density tapers off way before I get that hot, stinging sensation when the 2mm size got dry.
I'm liking it! :)

Yep, right on rudy. You get more flow velocity with compression and tighter winds on NexT. Even tho the flow is faster the ratio of wire mass/wick is greater. Result, a lighter more diffused output and warmer yet somewhat drier (but less so than cotton or rayon). Increase the Ø you get it all as you said...richer, warmer, thicker vape. This allows for more wick saturation (volume) and with enough power there ya go. Never went on the high side of 2.5mm but there's some headroom to max out vapor production shy of 7/64" (too loose). Wire gauge 37, 0.1040" being the most likely possibility. Most of my testing was done on wg 40, 0.0984" as close enough to 2.5mm. My fav general Ø for just about anything in vaping.

Gotta say you def hit it with the observation on the production tapering. Why I spent so much time encouraging folks to try this as an alt to cotton. We can't all rebuild everyday, to be sure. But if you got more than a couple of devices RxD's a blessing. And you won't take a DRY HIT on it EVER…unless you're plain fool absent minded…like me. That's where it's great for those with a few mods and can't remember whatall ya got in there the next mornin'.

Good luck all.

:)

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
It's nice to discover new options! I was set in my ways for so long convinced that it couldn't get any better! I FINALLY ran out of 2mm RxW as 1 foot lasted me over a year with multiple devices running. When going to reorder I figured why not try something different so I went with the 3mm and larger coil. Glad I did!!!
I also wanted to try the new Coil master V3 that everyone has been raving about vs. my trusty pin vise. After a couple of trial coils I determined that I couldn't quite get the tension wind I was getting using the pin vise method. So... I cheated! I tried using the coil master but not using the "winder" part of it. I simply threaded the wire thru the hole as designed but then just held down the end of the wire where the feed hole is with my thumb then tensioned wound by hand like using the pin vise. The coil master body is comfortable in the hand when winding and the long sturdy mandrel was strong enough to apply tension while winding. When done winding I then slid on the "winding" part of the coil master to squeeze the winds together to eliminate any small gaps in the wind. It worked great! Best of both worlds, nice 2.5 mandrell of the coil master with the tension win capability of a pin vise! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread