Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
It's nice to discover new options! I was set in my ways for so long convinced that it couldn't get any better! I FINALLY ran out of 2mm RxW as 1 foot lasted me over a year with multiple devices running. When going to reorder I figured why not try something different so I went with the 3mm and larger coil. Glad I did!!!
I also wanted to try the new Coil master V3 that everyone has been raving about vs. my trusty pin vise. After a couple of trial coils I determined that I couldn't quite get the tension wind I was getting using the pin vise method. So... I cheated! I tried using the coil master but not using the "winder" part of it. I simply threaded the wire thru the hole as designed but then just held down the end of the wire where the feed hole is with my thumb then tensioned wound by hand like using the pin vise. The coil master body is comfortable in the hand when winding and the long sturdy mandrel was strong enough to apply tension while winding. When done winding I then slid on the "winding" part of the coil master to squeeze the winds together to eliminate any small gaps in the wind. It worked great! Best of both worlds, nice 2.5 mandrell of the coil master with the tension win capability of a pin vise! :)

This is really interesting. When I was tensioning, I used a very heavy vise-grip clamp on the "free" end of the kanthal. I quit tensioning when I used the CoilMaster. Using the same vice-grip as a weight made certain the tension was always the same, I am going to try that using the CoilMaster.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Yep, that'll work. The fatter the wire the more tension you need to get to adhesion tho. Too loose and the gaps'll kill ya with insufficient oxidation to handle the power the greater mass can carry. Result, unpredictable heat. The kind that sours the vape. That is unless you happen to like that kind of output. Lately I'm building out to 3.2mm for tanks and carrying that over to mechs. It's been a surprise that you can get tight predictable contact at those diameters. You do get more gaps as wire isn't perfect and those are throwaways. Don't waste the time burning those in. I can't imagine getting a reliable 3.2-3.8mm without the aid of strain whether on a drill or pin vise. It takes some muscle tho and an appropriate stick.

G'luck.

:)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Good to see you!

Thx. Glad to stop by. Still think RxW and the REO is a great combo. Once the tight fibers open up saturation and flow are extraordinary. I've posted on this comparing real world results with Busardo's wicking test. There really isn't. Once you get there tho you've better be ready to apply ample concentrated power or you simply won't see the potential. Why the wick seems lackluster to some no doubt.

I like it because the wick can make some formidable diffusion out of that great dense vaporization rate. Takes me closer to that pipe or cigar experience I once enjoyed. Or you can chain that very same build on the short pulse or lower watts. Best of both worlds. Now give that the continuous on-demand flow of a squonk and you've got some real consistency. Can't imagine a better marriage to precisely nail a vape preference than BF, RxW plus t.m.c.

It's forgiving if you're not precise in building to a target. But man oh man settle into it and it's like you're tasting your juice again for the very first time. It only gets better once you know what it likes.

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread