Really Confused Noobie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leith Wilburn

Jul 8, 2017
Okay so today I purchased a Smok Alien 220w with limitless rdta tank and use UD Alien coils. The container for coils says 26ga*3+32ga and under that KA1 and then ID 2.5/0.15 *insert ohms sign thing that idk how to place*. My juice is Formal Rockstar Breakfast 6mg. Now I'm completely new to vaping with rdta or any rebuildable anything. I can't even rebuild a cardboard box. So for some reason my vape will fire for about two seconds and then I get the burnt taste that everybody hates. When I purchased it I changed coils and wicks from the original owner so those are new. I put in the juice and left it for at least 20 minutes to get the wick wet. My mod is running at 125 watts, .053 volts, .167 ohms, .299 amps, mode:watts, and PCB*C is 25*C. Idk what half that does but there it is. Please helpppp

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Also I just lowered wattage to 60 just to see if the wattage was too high. I believe that was the issue.
I think you're probably right. Just because it will go to 125 (or 220), doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Any other recommendations for wattage or setting to run in??
Keep it in watts mode with those Kanthal alloy (KA1) coils. The other modes are for TC (temperature control) and require specific types of wire: SS = stainless steel alloy, Ni = pure nickel and Ti = pure titanium. SS coils can be used either in wattage mode or TC-SS mode. Ni and Ti should only ever be used in their respective TC modes.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
In the spectrum of power used by the majority of vapers, 125 watts is a bucket load of power. Start low, and increase it until you reach a happy level. It's not a competition to see how much power you can use. Of the numbers on the screen, the only really important or useful ones are battery level and wattage, or in TC mode the temperature.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know much about the Smkalien, other than it can have electrical issues, so don't vape it unless you get some miraculous fix here (which could happen) or you may have a fried mod. IDK. How old was it when you purchased it? You might want to look at some demo reviews of the product to make sure it isn't in some mode that is going to mess you up? Sorry you are having a bad experience. Can you contact the seller, they may be able to assist you with the various functions of the mod? Or, it's just... Something bad happened. Seller may be able to tell you if it's under warranty.

I can't rebuild a cardbord box (yet) but I'm working on it.... :)

Anna

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
Nail clippers are actually some of the best tools for snipping wire - I only bought flush cut pliers for attys where I need to get in really close.
I think the mod is trying to tell you something is shorting. Either the clipped ends are too long and are touching something, or maybe you don't have the coils screwed down enough. What ohms is the mod reading it at? Is that one coil or two? If you're using two, that's .075ohms and that's just... nope. Way too low even for the experts. If it's single, still .15 is crazy low and dangerous, especially if you don't know what you're doing... Ah well, if you're going to go ahead and trust some cheap chip to protect your face from being blown off -
To get the coil glowing evenly:
Turn the power waaaaaaaaaaaaay down first of all. Start at 15w, go up a little if that isn't enough to get the coil glowing after a few seconds. If the legs are still the only parts getting hot, try gently! squeezing the coil with your tweezers right after you let go of the fire button. Don't touch the coil with your metal tweezers while you are firing. Do that a few times. Strum the tweezers along the coil a few times. Usually that will get it glowing from the middle.

Leith Wilburn

Jul 8, 2017
I'm using two coils. .15ohms on both. I'm gonna go to a vape shop later and see what they say,maybe they can help. The guy I bought it from said he used the same set up and it worked but he knew what he was doing more than I do. But since I have clipped the coils back more and redone it the coils are fine. My next issue is it's not wicking properly. The cotton inside the coil is burning which I've read is either because the wick is too thick inside (but I can see through it very little to the other side). I'm out of cotton now so I'll have to pick some up. Pics incoming in a few moments.

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
When you use two coils, the total resistance is HALF of each. That means you're running at .075 That's really, really, really, really low. The guy who sold it to you is an idiot and shouldn't have sold that to a beginner.
The reason your cotton keeps burning is because it can't wick fast enough to keep up at such a high temperature.
Just *try* vaping at 30-40watts or so. That's still considered pretty high. You can still fog up a room, I promise. You might find you enjoy vaping more when you can actually inhale without fighting to cough.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is really, really low resistance. I don't think you were going for that, right, since you originally thought you were at a much higher resistance?

Anyone selling you a set up who "knows more than you do" should have talked to you a bit more about coilbuilding, *I* think, personally. Also, Smkaliens are notorious for electronics difficulties. I would suggest a more chill mod, with better reviews for reliability, and maybe something like the Ego Mega tank which comes with prebuilt coils which you can rewick with cotton and you can buy TC coils of various sorts to start wicking with cotton yourself. I specifically chose that tank because it looked like a nice, easy way to ease myself into coilbuilding, and I do mean *ease*. I find things go easier if I go slooow and start small, there's no reason not to set that mod aside and start over, if you can afford it. You can keep the tank for when you are ready, I've already purchased a RTA only but I'm not going to START with that tank. I'd take it in to be looked at by someone, however, if electrical issues continue.

Sigh. Good luck.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread