Reasons you will not support a candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Obviously, some want to express why they do not support particular candidates. Please, keep that separate, keep it here, and keep it civil. CASAA is not about exclusion or censorship, but is currently here as a guest of ECF on this forum, and subject to ECF's rules. CASAA will represent all vapers, across all forums and media, both on and offline.

Zofryer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
Near DC
zofryer.com
I've been watching CASAA closely because I think a construct of its nature does not exist currently. I'd even entertain participation, but I'd never consider being on any sort of "board" because despite my somewhat helpful nature and some confused people that take some of my thoughts and opinions with a grain of salt, I am an Internet troll of the highest order. Despite the fact that I keep that hobby hidden well behind a whole bunch of different identities (and don't bring it here, which can be confirmed) I'd be worried my online reputation would dilute the seriousness of any organization formed that intends to garner anything resembling a modicum of respect. Without naming names, you've got a handful of very heavy hitters in the forum trolling community signed up to be voted on. People that aren't as shy about revealing their identities. These people are regularly banned from many forums. It's not my place to judge, obviously, but I'd caution that having known forum trolls and trouble causers on your board may not be the kind of image you want to project.

Hope This Helps

EDIT: Oh, and I guess that's my post 1000

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hopefully, one of the first orders of business will be to open up forums directly associated with CASAA so that it can claim to represent all vapers and not just ECF members.

It's not easy to run an open election when no discussion involving the candidates personalities or past history can be posted. In fact, it can't really be done.

Has there been any attempt to open up a branch on the other forum that has 1800 experienced vapers as members?

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Has there been any attempt to open up a branch on the other forum that has 1800 experienced vapers as members?

Unofficially, yes. Several of those nominated have accounts at multiple forums related to PV's... and I do hope to see more official connections to all supporters of harm reduction in the future. :)

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
IMHO If one really cares about this harm reduction product and it's potential life saving capabilities, that person would step down if his/her past contaminates the process in any way. Anyone who is not above reproach and refuses to step down is really in this for some sort of personal satisfaction and not board member material. Really, people, this is not a paid position. For goodness sake, if you are causing a problem, why not just step down?

I cannot vote for anyone who has been involved in highly questionable activities. I personally don't care what one does privately but if it is on the internet...it is no longer private. This on line persona will be attacked and the organization that person represents will be discredited. I became aware of such activities from another forum because I would never have found them otherwise. Didn't we, as voting members, have a right to that information? I think we have an expectation of responsible behavior from our elected representatives (I know our government doesn't behave well either). I did not vote for this person, not specifically for that reason, but it definitely was a factor in my decision.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Isn't it just US/NA continent vapers in any event?

Nominations were made, this forum and others are predominantly from North America, yes.

However, you'll notice that the name "Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association" does not include "America" or any such geographically specific information - there is not a single person, as far as I know, that wants to limit our support for just one country or one continent. It may take some time to gain advocates in other countries, but please know that this organization is intended to support everyone worldwide.

Will it be possible to have representatives everywhere from the start? Obviously, no. This effort needs to start somewhere, and happens to have started here.

I hope everyone can see that this is the beginning of an organized and inclusive effort :)

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I'd have to agree that the US is the most important battle ground. Canada would have a hell of a time banning it, if the US makes it completely legal.

It's the same as when Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoed SB400. Whatever CA and NY do generally sets the pace for the rest of the country. The sooner we can establish footholds in any city, state or country the sooner we can start a snowball effect and hopefully turn the tide of public opinion.

While the current battleground for US is right here, most of us I think have expressed the importance of fighting internationally. There are serveral countries that have already banned PVs, as most of us are aware. I believe the general consensus has been take care of home first, but maybe that should be re-thought and I am sure CASAA could solicit and open international representation and began right away advocating for all areas. Any thoughts anyone?

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
While the current battleground for US is right here, most of us I think have expressed the importance of fighting internationally. There are serveral countries that have already banned PVs, as most of us are aware. I believe the general consensus has been take care of home first, but maybe that should be re-thought and I am sure CASAA could solicit and open international representation and began right away advocating for all areas. Any thoughts anyone?

The main resistance (if you want to even call it that) originally was that

1) we shouldn't bite off more than we can chew initially.

2) The legal status of the organization would be more difficult to make donations tax deductable.

IMO, those aren't really important issues. The tax issue is like worrying about where we are going to bury all thoise mason jars of cash we don't have.

As far as limiting efforts to the US - why? Other than a language barrier in some cases, the principals of public relations and promotion is (with a few differences) a pretty general concept. I would expect anyone requesting promotional materials from CASAA to know what is legal or not in their country. Other than that, I'll share ideas and accept support from anyone, anywhere as long as they are inline with keeping e-cigs legal in their country and all over the world.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I do find it a shame that some of the Loudest voices in the Vaping community have been silenced by ECF restrictions...

spreading the CASAA message over several community forums would only be a good thing, especially where the censorship of information isn't as strict as ECF.

I can't imagine there would be any reason to restrict CASAA to any one forum, mailing list or venue. The only reason the supplier/candidates haven't sent this out to our client lists (most of whom wouldn't know a forum from a FryDaddy) is to avoid the appearance of a supplier "buying" the election.

Once the vote is over, I fully intend to let my customers know about CASAA through our newsletter, flyers in all new orders and acrylic table tents and door signs in all 380 of our tobacco reseller stores.

The activity in ECF (on all online venues, actually) is miniscule compared to the vast resources of users who rarely if ever touch a computer.

Do you know so few suppliers' sites link back to ECF? Why would they? Sending customers to a resource where they can meet other suppliers is business suicide!

CASAA restricts supplier influence (on the Board) to no more than 25%. We accept NO supplier advertising and ban any spamming on the site. As a wholey advocate site, i would hope this will encourage all suppliers - international and US to let their customers know about a consumer advocacy group protecting the sale and use of e-cigarettes. Once you take away the fear of sending them off to be lost, it just make good business sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread