Recent convert looking for a way forward into 20w/30w/40w mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

H0rus

May 22, 2015
Hey guys, I am rather new to ecigs. I quit using a Aspire starter kit. I have been smoke free about 8 months :D

I am looking for a way forward. I am not into cloud chasing. Its more about flavour and ease of use. Nicotine helps me think while working or studying and frankly and that's what my usage is now and I dont see that changing. I am looking at a box mod with 2000mah+ battery, pass through and if possible a replaceable battery without the need for an external charger.

As far as tanks go, I am not sure at all. I have the tank from Aspire which has a BVC coil and I am planning to get a nice Kayfun/Kanger but I am not sure which way to go.

Help a brother out and help me build a "good enough" mod within a decent budget. The ones I am looking at are Kanger subbox mini (battery? Charger?), Coolfire 4, istick 30w, Seigel 30W and similar 20-30-40 watts

Btw, I am having the some problems with my current aspire. It gurgles, it floods and while evaporating, small droplets hit my tongue and it gets annoying. <1 day battery life. Doesnt vape some of the juices well.

PS: I am based out of Toronto.
PPS: Great community here. I have learned quite a bit from you guys over the past two days. Thank you!
PPPS: If my mod looks good, its even better! Sleek, well made hardware is always fun to play with.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Welcome to the forum! I ordered the subox kit a few days ago it seems like a solid kit to fit pretty much any style and it is slick looking aesthetically. I think that would be a good choice as it is simple but gives some room to grow, offers basic tank functionality and a rebuildable setup if you one day decide that is where you want to be.

Reactions: H0rus

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
A good little box mod to get would probably be a XPRO M80 Plus. Has a 4400mah battery. I just tested it running a Mini Nautilus 1.8 ohm coil @ 8.5 watts and I got 5 and a half days on a single charge using it exclusively. I work so about an hr and a half through the work day, then all the time after. Also to play into the scenario, is that it was with 24 mg nic ejuice. No removable battery but has pass through.

H0rus

May 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum! I ordered the subox kit a few days ago it seems like a solid kit to fit pretty much any style and it is slick looking aesthetically. I think that would be a good choice as it is simple but gives some room to grow, offers basic tank functionality and a rebuildable setup if you one day decide that is where you want to be.

Thank mate! Subox kit does seem nice! Did you receive it already? How much? Is the battery internally charged or do you have to get an external charger? I like the concept of a rebuildable and I am comfortable doing it (I am an electronic engineer). I have a few questions about it. Whats the difference between their OCC and RDA coils? for the OCC, do you keep having to buy the premade coils/atomizer heads? How do they work?

Doesn't really fit all your requirements (no removable battery), but an istick 30 with a GS air is economical and it just works! No cloud chasing, just good flavor, consistent vape, and good battery life.

iStick is among my top choice. But I am not sure about the tank. Again do I have to keep replacing the heads?

Thnx for the reply guys!

H0rus

May 22, 2015
A good little box mod to get would probably be a XPRO M80 Plus. Has a 4400mah battery. I just tested it running a Mini Nautilus 1.8 ohm coil @ 8.5 watts and I got 5 and a half days on a single charge using it exclusively. I work so about an hr and a half through the work day, then all the time after. Also to play into the scenario, is that it was with 24 mg nic ejuice. No removable battery but has pass through.

This is a new one for me. Looks great to be honest. But do you think its useful for someone like me who isnt looking to get into this hardcore (I mean, I am not looking to upgrade often and get multiple tanks). I mean is 80W useful for me? Is it required? WOuld I be better off getting a Subbox mini for about the same price?

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
Thank mate! Subox kit does seem nice! Did you receive it already? How much? Is the battery internally charged or do you have to get an external charger? I like the concept of a rebuildable and I am comfortable doing it (I am an electronic engineer). I have a few questions about it. Whats the difference between their OCC and RDA coils? for the OCC, do you keep having to buy the premade coils/atomizer heads? How do they work?

iStick is among my top choice. But I am not sure about the tank. Again do I have to keep replacing the heads?

Thnx for the reply guys!

Subox hasn't come out yet I preordered. Expecting it to arrive the first week of June, cost me $58. The OCC is the premade coils that you have to purchase and replace as they burn out. They will last about two weeks with regular usage before needing to replace (mileage varies). The RDA you rebuild the coils/wicking yourself with some kanthal wire and cotton, they need replacing at a similar rate but you can get a years worth of supplies for about twenty bucks. The premade coils are really simple to change out, you just unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.

With any decent tank you will be replacing coils regularly in one way or another. The only way to avoid that is to buy disposable tanks but then you are replacing the whole thing everytime rather than just one piece. With an RBA it will take you about 5 minutes to put a new build on once you get the hang of it with the OCC's it will take you about ten seconds.

H0rus

May 22, 2015
Subox hasn't come out yet I preordered. Expecting it to arrive the first week of June, cost me $58. The OCC is the premade coils that you have to purchase and replace as they burn out. They will last about two weeks with regular usage before needing to replace (mileage varies). The RDA you rebuild the coils/wicking yourself with some kanthal wire and cotton, they need replacing at a similar rate but you can get a years worth of supplies for about twenty bucks. The premade coils are really simple to change out, you just unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.

With any decent tank you will be replacing coils regularly in one way or another. The only way to avoid that is to buy disposable tanks but then you are replacing the whole thing everytime rather than just one piece. With an RBA it will take you about 5 minutes to put a new build on once you get the hang of it with the OCC's it will take you about ten seconds.

Alright, that makes sense. Question: Whats the difference between using OCC vs the RBA as far as vaping experience goes? Also, let me know if it needs an external chargers.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
I knew I missed a question, it does come with internal charging through an included USB but most people recommend using an external charger with mod batteries. It also doesn't come with the battery so that would be extra.

OCC vs RBA= You could get a million answers to that. RBA you can build to a lower resistance and get a little more bang as far as cloud size goes. With the current model of subtanks I find that if I build the rba any lower than the OCC (.5 ohm) I have wicking problems and get dry hits so for me the difference has been negligible. The cloud in my avatar pic came from a kanger KBox with a subtank mini using the occ head so from my perspective it gives as much cloud as I need. The flavor is about the same for me with either head but many people will claim one way or the other is way more flavor. Half the battle with vaping is just playing around and figuring out what your personal preference is. That is one thing I like about the subtank is it gives a lot of flexibility, you can go anywhere from small tight throaty puffs to giant clouds. What I have said in a few threads like this is that the subox gives room to grow. A lot of people that don't like big clouds find out they actually do once they get the right setup.

LVThundercat

Apr 13, 2015
Las Vegas
I started with an istck20 and a kanger protank 3. after a week, I felt I needed more (cuz I used to smoke 2 packs a day) and decided to get an istick50 and an atlantis with 5 ml extended tank (this is a great combo for me at the time) a month later, still using an istick50, I got me a freemax starre. I had gurgling with the protank but the atlantis and the starre both have been great - no gurgling, nice amount of vapor, great flavor. just waiting for the price of god180s to go down, then i'm a get that one.

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
This is a new one for me. Looks great to be honest. But do you think its useful for someone like me who isnt looking to get into this hardcore (I mean, I am not looking to upgrade often and get multiple tanks). I mean is 80W useful for me? Is it required? WOuld I be better off getting a Subbox mini for about the same price?

Honestly, I don't think too much is ever too much. Remember, you can always have more than you need, and just not use it to its limits. When I bought my 50w istick, i thought I was going WAY more than I needed. Lately, i have been using it at 40-45 watts. My next mod is probably going to be a 150w box mod. Will I ever need that much power? Probably not. Would I like to have it just in case I decide I want it? Absolutely.

If you are wanting a good midrange device, I would have to recommend the istick 50w. It is reasonably priced, uses a regular microusb cable to charge, has a battery that lasts me a couple days, and has pass through charging. The only part it doesn't have is replaceable batteries(they can be replaced if you tear it all apart, but it would be a lot of work. I would probably just get another one before doing all that).

As for what atomizer, I wouldn't know what to say on that. I have been using RDAs lately, and havent even bought any premade things since my iclear 16 and iclear 30.

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
Yeah no such thing as too much as long as you can adjust it lower. I use a sigelei 150 watt and though I don't ever go that high you never know what might come. No one thought we would ever use 40 watts but the new atlantis 2 tank is made for 70-80 watts out of the box (though I use it at 60-65 generally).

That is the exact box I am planning on getting next.

Reactions: hashtag

Kwtony

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2014
Key West
208B4D4C-67C8-40EF-AB1F-C678B14151AB-9653-000003B21A5DC9D7_zpsdp1qiuwr.jpg

This setup is 63 dollar from vapenw.com

Coils last me and my roomate about 3-4 weeks with regular use. Not chasing clouds, but easily one that can.

Before i was using Aspire with bvc coils that lasted less then a week.

This Kanger Mini Tank rocks and at 22mm it doesnt look like a huge contraption. Sleek, low-key and an incredibly light overall package makes this a winner in my roomates book.

In fact i got second 30w box and kanger nano as my backup.
21404C41-7038-46DF-A4D3-0D2F0444F9C3-9653-000003B3B429C665_zpslya3wca4.jpg

All fits nicely in the little kit
DAF4F995-A5A4-4310-9C23-5ABD75F88D6F-9653-000003B3D27D2DD6_zpsusjtm2hb.jpg

I never smoked cigs, but have dedicated to keep my roomate and buisness partner off of them. Shes a 5'9 blonde girl that needed a hassle free reliable setup that provided her with the nessescary amount of vapor to keep her smoke free. So far shes been smoke free for over a year and a half.

Last edited:

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
Hey guys, I am rather new to ecigs. I quit using a Aspire starter kit. I have been smoke free about 8 months :D

I am looking for a way forward. I am not into cloud chasing. Its more about flavour and ease of use. Nicotine helps me think while working or studying and frankly and that's what my usage is now and I dont see that changing. I am looking at a box mod with 2000mah+ battery, pass through and if possible a replaceable battery without the need for an external charger.

As far as tanks go, I am not sure at all. I have the tank from Aspire which has a BVC coil and I am planning to get a nice Kayfun/Kanger but I am not sure which way to go.

Help a brother out and help me build a "good enough" mod within a decent budget. The ones I am looking at are Kanger SUBBOX mini (battery? Charger?), Coolfire 4, istick 30w, Seigel 30W and similar 20-30-40 watts

Btw, I am having the some problems with my current aspire. It gurgles, it floods and while evaporating, small droplets hit my tongue and it gets annoying. <1 day battery life. Doesnt vape some of the juices well.

PS: I am based out of Toronto.
PPS: Great community here. I have learned quite a bit from you guys over the past two days. Thank you!
PPPS: If my mod looks good, its even better! Sleek, well made hardware is always fun to play with.

Here's some inexpensive removable batt mods to get you started with your windowshopping :)

Clouper mini
Dovpo mini
Hotcig Hero Modz styled SX300 chip
Kangside KSD
Luxyoun Elitel 30
MacCigar Mac1 and MacCigar Mac2
Ola x Hero
Phimis wee 2 mini
Phimis Ele-Power
Provari
Sigelei mini 30
Sigelei T-Max
SMY60
Smowell DPV-50
Shenxi Mini 25 (yihi chip same as IPV mini)

Have fun!

H0rus

May 22, 2015
I knew I missed a question, it does come with internal charging through an included USB but most people recommend using an external charger with mod batteries. It also doesn't come with the battery so that would be extra.

OCC vs RBA= You could get a million answers to that. RBA you can build to a lower resistance and get a little more bang as far as cloud size goes. With the current model of subtanks I find that if I build the rba any lower than the OCC (.5 ohm) I have wicking problems and get dry hits so for me the difference has been negligible. The cloud in my avatar pic came from a kanger KBox with a subtank mini using the occ head so from my perspective it gives as much cloud as I need. The flavor is about the same for me with either head but many people will claim one way or the other is way more flavor. Half the battle with vaping is just playing around and figuring out what your personal preference is. That is one thing I like about the subtank is it gives a lot of flexibility, you can go anywhere from small tight throaty puffs to giant clouds. What I have said in a few threads like this is that the subox gives room to grow. A lot of people that don't like big clouds find out they actually do once they get the right setup.

Ha! My fault. Too many questions. I checked out the Subtank mini reviews and it seems perfect for my needs. Being able to rebuild the OCC as well is brilliant! THis is my forerunner right now.

Getting a lot of good recommendations here, best part, you really can't go wrong. Almost any recommendation here will be tried and tested by many of the people here.

Indeed, I have learned more in one day than I have in the past 1 month of random videos.

I started with an istck20 and a kanger protank 3. after a week, I felt I needed more (cuz I used to smoke 2 packs a day) and decided to get an istick50 and an atlantis with 5 ml extended tank (this is a great combo for me at the time) a month later, still using an istick50, I got me a freemax starre. I had gurgling with the protank but the atlantis and the starre both have been great - no gurgling, nice amount of vapor, great flavor. just waiting for the price of god180s to go down, then i'm a get that one.

iStick 50 is a good setup, but I am not really liking the looks. I know that it is a great setup otherwise, just not liking the looks.

Honestly, I don't think too much is ever too much. Remember, you can always have more than you need, and just not use it to its limits. When I bought my 50w istick, i thought I was going WAY more than I needed. Lately, i have been using it at 40-45 watts. My next mod is probably going to be a 150w box mod. Will I ever need that much power? Probably not. Would I like to have it just in case I decide I want it? Absolutely.

If you are wanting a good midrange device, I would have to recommend the istick 50w. It is reasonably priced, uses a regular microusb cable to charge, has a battery that lasts me a couple days, and has pass through charging. The only part it doesn't have is replaceable batteries(they can be replaced if you tear it all apart, but it would be a lot of work. I would probably just get another one before doing all that).

As for what atomizer, I wouldn't know what to say on that. I have been using RDAs lately, and havent even bought any premade things since my iclear 16 and iclear 30.

Agreed! Probably thats why I am leaning towards the Kanger Submini combo bcs it allows me to test everything I want with my limited experience and yet offers a stunning looks and the sub 50$ pricetag is really enticing.. But yes, I might decide to trade up later on but I am going to wait for the tech to progress a little more before investing in bigger mods. I guess we are all taking a similar path :D

This setup is 63 dollar from vapenw.com

Coils last me and my roomate about 3-4 weeks with regular use. Not chasing clouds, but easily one that can.

Before i was using Aspire with bvc coils that lasted less then a week.

This Kanger Mini Tank rocks and at 22mm it doesnt look like a huge contraption. Sleek, low-key and an incredibly light overall package makes this a winner in my roomates book.

In fact i got second 30w box and kanger nano as my backup.

All fits nicely in the little kit

I never smoked cigs, but have dedicated to keep my roomate and buisness partner off of them. Shes a 5'9 blonde girl that needed a hassle free reliable setup that provided her with the nessescary amount of vapor to keep her smoke free. So far shes been smoke free for over a year and a half.

Brilliant builds mate! Unfortunately, I have those bony shovel hands and I actually want something a bit bigger. I held these in my hands and it felt off due to the tiny size. How did you feel when you switched from the aspire BVC to the mini?

I went with an istick 50w just for the battery life. I get 3 days and just charge it. It might go 4 or 5 but I don't risk it. I use a 5ml Nautilus and it's a great setup. I've order a Kanger Subtank Plus. Why? 7ml. I just don't like filling tanks all the time no matter if it's car, lawnmower, or vaporizer. :)

Similar sentiments. I am curious to know... which one is better in your opinion? Nautilus vs Plus? Also, did they fix the leaking issues with the Subtank Plus? I heard somewhere that the mini is a better engineered tank than the Plus. Any truth to that?

Here's some inexpensive removable batt mods to get you started with your windowshopping :)

Clouper mini
Dovpo mini
Hotcig Hero Modz styled SX300 chip
Kangside KSD
Luxyoun Elitel 30
MacCigar Mac1 and MacCigar Mac2
Ola x Hero
Phimis wee 2 mini
Phimis Ele-Power
Provari
Sigelei mini 30
Sigelei T-Max
SMY60
Smowell DPV-50
Shenxi Mini 25 (yihi chip same as IPV mini)

Have fun!

Woah, lots of options and new ones I didn't previously know. Thnx man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread