Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Do you have a price range? A simple starter for mtl might be a Pico mod and a Triton mini tank. not the cheapest entry level but excellent, consistent performance. Te other advantage of a mod like the Pico is you're not limited as to tank (under 23 mm) so you could also try the Nautilus X, or many other selections, as a mtl tank as well. Very inexpensive, but somewhat limiting for future growth could include something like a Joytech AIO (all in one).

I started on a cigalike, then progressed to a Halo Triton as well. Moved on pretty quickly from the Triton to a setup more in line with what I described above. Good luck!

Electro108

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2016
No price range. I'm mostly looking for something "solid". I do like to tweak and adjust(designed electronics for 12 years). I started with blu, then went to the triton. Honestly, the triton is pretty good...just wondering if there is "better" out there. I have become somewhat irritated that the triton leaks down the chimney and floods the battery if it's warm outside at all(inside or on a desk, no problems)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The Triton's are pretty good. And yes, it is a big step up with the type of stuff I described. I followed essentially the same path as you, only starting with Vuse instead on Blu. If you like to tweak, go with something like the Pico, which will let you mess with all sorts of settings to get the vape you like, and will work with tanks like the Nautilus X or Triton mini that use factory coils, as well as lots of tanks that allow you to build your own coils for even more control over your vaping experience, and satisfy that 'tweak and adjusting" desire.

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
No price range. I'm mostly looking for something "solid". I do like to tweak and adjust(designed electronics for 12 years).

I'm sorry, but these 3 lines just scream "DNA" to me. Maybe you should look in to some of the DNA75 devices out there, possibly paired with something like a Kayfun V3 or V5 clone. A little pricier than the Pico Eskie recommended, but it just sounds right up your ally.

A few popular ones out there are the SMY SDNA75, the Hcigar VT75 and the Therion 75.

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
A Pico and a Kayfun Lite would fill the bill nicely. The Pico comes with a Melo III tank already, an additional KFL would be another $10-15 ( I just got 2 more for 9.99 each).You would also have to buy a couple 18650 batteries and possibly a charger, but the Pico does allow onboard charging of the battery if you don't want to spring for a charger. A little wire for coils, some wick....you have hours of tweaking and adjusting fun and the best MTL atty on the planet.

Not to mention all the fiddling with the Pico/Melo combo and it's temp control settings. Down the rabbit hole you go!

Electro108

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2016
Thanks to all on the recommendations. going to read up tonight. the Nautilus X looks pretty good. the way the airflow is, there is no way that's leaking unless it is upside down. I like the look of the small pico battery. Is there a resource or would anyone care to recommend some online retailers? I'm still new and one reason I used Halo is because their website and customer service is solid.

Reactions: Bolivar

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Thanks to all on the recommendations. going to read up tonight. the Nautilus X looks pretty good. the way the airflow is, there is no way that's leaking unless it is upside down. I like the look of the small pico battery. Is there a resource or would anyone care to recommend some online retailers? I'm still new and one reason I used Halo is because their website and customer service is solid.

Ya I'd say the Nautilus X specifically with the 1.8 coils (the 1.5's kinda suck) are the way to go. I pair that with the full black Pico and it's a killer setup.

For retailers, my tops are:
Myvaporstore (usually has newest stuff and fast shipping)
Sweetvapes (has good MTL stuff like in this case, the 4ml X extension kit and solid all around)
VaporDNA (best customer service by far, but a bit more pricey. But they'll back you up like no other)

Reactions: Eskie

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Kayfun Lite-Plus clone for MTL vaping:

$15.67 Kayfun Lite Plus V3 Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4.5ml / stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Kayfun%202.jpg

Reactions: sorrynomore

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ya I'd say the Nautilus X specifically with the 1.8 coils (the 1.5's kinda suck) are the way to go. I pair that with the full black Pico and it's a killer setup.

For retailers, my tops are:
Myvaporstore (usually has newest stuff and fast shipping)
Sweetvapes (has good MTL stuff like in this case, the 4ml X extension kit and solid all around)
VaporDNA (best customer service by far, but a bit more pricey. But they'll back you up like no other)

I would wholeheartedly second this post. Both the 1.8 Nauti X coils which from all descriptions are way better than the original 1.5, to the vendors suggested. I've used all and found their service to be outstanding.

And yes, the black Nauti X on an all black Pico would be a slick look.

Not to worry, this will not be your only setup, as after a little while messing with this stuff you're bound to buy lots more "just because". But this a great first step in to get a solid idea of how things work and better determine how you'd like your vape experience to grow.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    • EVOD
    • iStick20 + Nautilus mini
    • iStick Pico (or VTC Mini) + KF4 or KF5
    the 1st two options use factory coils, the EVOD ones are silly easy to rebuild and there's a VVTF 'RBA' for the Nautilus.

However my favorite is the Kayfun series. Lots of good 'clones' available which bring the cost of the copy down to less than $30 each. With both AFC, JFC and top fill these tanks are very popular. You will however need to wind+wick your own coils.

Electro108

ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2016
    I ended up with the nautilus x and the eleaf Pico. So far, it seems to have great flavor and the quality is awesome. I also love the form factor. Two things, the throat hit rightnow seems a little harsh(i have the air hole nearly closed) and the vapor is nowhere near the level of my little halo triton pen....what can I doto help dial this is in? The settings on the Pico I amfinding confusing and the manual isn't overly helpful. There are sections on the menu for coil type, temp and of course wattage. (20w is insanely rough and hot with the airhole restricted the way ihaveit) I've been leaving it around 15w with whateve the default setings are otherwise.
    Thanks for the suggestions

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Your juice and the nic concentration are important to know. Juice high in PG and nic will have more of a throat hit. I started on Tribcea from Halo at 24 mg. When I stepped up my hardware, I quickly dropped to 12 mg as it was equally satisfying and less irritating. I would think the Nauti X with a 1.8 ohm coil would work well in the 15W range. However, everyone has their own "sweet spot" and you may have to play around a bit to find it. Make your changes slowly and alter only one parameter at a time to avoid confusion.

If you are getting good flavor but not as much cloud as you like, you can increase airflow, especially if it's currently almost closed. It's pretty tight airflow with that coil to begin with so opening it up will help. then play with the power, changing 1 or 2W at a time and let it settle in. You'll find your best spot soon enough.

Reactions: drysprocket
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread