Recommended resistance ni200 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ongeslepen

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Amsterdamaged
Hey vapers,

I got 2 mods the istick tc 40w and the snow wolf 200w.
Both are capable of firing ni200 coils at 0.05ohms. So i build them that low because it requires less wraps and fits easy in my different tanks. But especially with the istick the battery drains quite fast. According to some other bloke i should aim for building coils around the 0.15 ohms to increase battery life.

Is that true? And what do you do? What are your findings? What is your sweetspot for the ni200 coils if that exists? I ordered 30awg ni200 and 32 awg ni200 wire. Just because of the amount of wraps i have to make to get to the higher resistance, because i hate to do more then 7 to 8 wraps due to the size of it.

Many thx

Every1jockzjay

Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn
Use "steam engine" website to figure out what coils will work at specific wattages... I use 26 gauge 10wrap At .089 ohms at around 40joules 420 degrees... With 30gauge it would b hard for me to reAch 40joules unless u twist the wire...
Anyway with nickel your guna be using more wraps then with kanthal and spaced coils are the only way to go imo.

Ongeslepen

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Amsterdamaged
Use "steam engine" website to figure out what coils will work at specific wattages... I use 26 gauge 10wrap At .089 ohms at around 40joules 420 degrees... With 30gauge it would b hard for me to reAch 40joules unless u twist the wire...
Anyway with nickel your guna be using more wraps then with kanthal and spaced coils are the only way to go imo.

thx, for mentioning the steam engine, i actually never checked out the other tabs.. :facepalm:

I did 11 wraps of 28 gauge contact coil, it's reading 0.118 ohms and fits fine in the subtank mini. I really don't notice any difference in battery life between this and the .6 ohm kanthal coil.

Contact coil? From what i understood of it, it ain't very smart to do that with ni200 wire :s
Due to hotspots and dryfiring to check out if the coil heats up evenly :/ Correct me if i'm wrong though

coolvapes

Jul 29, 2015
thx, for mentioning the steam engine, i actually never checked out the other tabs.. :facepalm:

Contact coil? From what i understood of it, it ain't very smart to do that with ni200 wire :s
Due to hotspots and dryfiring to check out if the coil heats up evenly :/ Correct me if i'm wrong though
The owner of the vape shop and his employees I bought my gear from said that it's fine to do a contact. I've been using it for a few days without issue.

Every1jockzjay

Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn
Kanthal forms a layer of "something" when you dry fire, lol forget the terms but from what I read kanthal only actually shorts the first few times when your checking your coils, after that even if the wires are touching it doesn't actually short. From what I kno ni200 shorts when touching and doesn't make for the "best" coil. But hey wAteva works for you...
Imo 26gauge works the best on the IPv4... I tried very hard to like my vs rdna40 with 28gauge ni200, but found myself back with kanthal.... This 26gauge in my IPv4 just works much better for me personally... I would pick up some 26gauge for cheap and try out a 7-8 wrap spaced, I think it works awesome and have to agree with the statement that the IPv4 works best at .065
This is just my opinion based on how I like to vape and what has worked for me lol

Dale Freed

May 29, 2015
I had a little problem with my Nickle build. I had it on my RDA sitting almost perfectly. As soon as I wicked it and sent it through it's first firing, it warped on me. It still works fine and it gives great vape, so I can't complain. I am new and so far this is the first nickle build that works best... i don't think that I am going to switch this one out unless it craps out on me.

Attachments

• WIN_20150820_13_32_10_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20150820_13_32_10_Pro.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 81

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I had a little problem with my Nickle build. I had it on my RDA sitting almost perfectly. As soon as I wicked it and sent it through it's first firing, it warped on me. It still works fine and it gives great vape, so I can't complain. I am new and so far this is the first nickle build that works best... i don't think that I am going to switch this one out unless it craps out on me.

If it works good, and your happy with it, put the top o and stop looking at it, just vape it! :)

Dale Freed

May 29, 2015
If it works good, and your happy with it, put the top o and stop looking at it, just vape it! :)

Actually, It took about a day to break in now it temps out in seconds... Yesterday, it was a beautiful thing and had wonderful clouds and flavor coming fourth. Today... That is a different story... It was reading about 0.12 ohms today 0.03, over night.... I went to the local vape shop and they suggested that I use a twisted pair to straighten the coil. That doesn't sound right. Any suggestions?

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
have you checked to ensure the post screws are tight on the wire? Thats a pretty hefty change in resistance... and I dont see how it would change that much just sitting over night. Have you hit the coils when taking off or putting on the topcap?

I have used twisted coils with TC, and I have twisted 28G ni200 with 30g Kanthal... works just fine, but I prefer a nice simple 28g ni200 coil. I normally wrap around a 8/32 screw to hold my coil nice and even while wrapping and mounting. it just takes practice.

Deadkaiser

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2015

No the whole idea of not doing contact coils is due to the fact that people we worried about nickel graphite being produces as you pulsed it as any temp over 640F or something like that had the potential to produce nickel graphite....

anyway spaced coils are easy to make and seem to produce great flavour so i don't see any reason to change that said recently all my attys are just refusing to function with Ni200 builds in them so back to easy kanthal.

Also resitance v's power consumption in theory (well this is how i understood it) the higher the Ohms the less watts will be required I always build ni200 around 0.25 however i've tried a fair bit higher and lower and honestly i dont notice much flavor difference so i see no point is building that low. with the Eleaf TC unfortunately i dont think you will ever get great battery life since watts are not changeable ever review i;ve seen also states that it runs out of battery really quickly in TC mode i've been only using kanthal on mine lol.

Actually, It took about a day to break in now it temps out in seconds... Yesterday, it was a beautiful thing and had wonderful clouds and flavor coming fourth. Today... That is a different story... It was reading about 0.12 ohms today 0.03, over night.... I went to the local vape shop and they suggested that I use a twisted pair to straighten the coil. That doesn't sound right. Any suggestions?

Make sure the atty and the mod are the same temperature when you connect them.
Make sure your coils has a good connection
make sure your coils not touching the deck.... How is it even reading 0.03 all the Mods ive seen dont go lower than 0.05

Make sure ur 510 Atty connection is all good not 2 tight (most of my issues where cause by this but thats probably just my crappy GT2 clones issue and should have no impact on you)

As for twisted kanthal Ni200 lots of people love it but you need to turn down the temp a fair bit from memory good guild somewhere on ECF

Dale Freed

May 29, 2015
Okay, update.

I tightened it all down, ohms are the same. Double checked to make sure that it wasn't touching anything, all good. Fired it up and still temping out way too quick. So, I tried something that shouldn't do to make sure that it has an accurate reading. I disconnected from my Cube X and re-attached it. It went from the initial reading of 0.03-0.05 ohms to 0.1-0.11 and everything is working better than it was. I am sure that the readings are off, but it almost seems like a really good vape with good vapor and great flavor.

I am sure that it messed up but... I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread