Wood Recommended tools to turn Burl Wood & Acrylic Hybrid Block into box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Saper

Jul 29, 2016
Hello everyone, new to this subsection and looking for some tips for my first custom mod. I just bought this gorgeous wood+acrylic block to convert into a custom box mod:

Stabilized Alder Burl Wood & Acrylic Hybrid Block Box MOD Woodturning Blank | eBay

Ill be getting help with the specific handiwork from a friend that is more experienced with woodworking but wondering:

I plan to go to home depot while waiting for delivery and practicing on wood blocks before attempting this; will the tools I use for that be adequate for this with the acrylic mix? If not, would you suggest something else?

From those more experienced, any tips and tricks you would recommend employing to ensure the best results?

Would you recommend cutting a back and front plate, then cutting out the center to create the box from the block or is there a recommended tool that could help?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am very excited to get to work on this!

Reactions: thetrucker

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I'm a woodturner and we turn burl and burl/acrylic blanks using woodturning gouges and if you need to drill holes (like if you would doing a tube mod) you could use drill bits or forstner bits. Fast speed if turning, slow speed if drilling and light pressure while clearing the shavings because acrylic down not like friction and can easily break. Other than that I wouldn't know anything to make a box mod. You could use a tablesaw with a sharp carbide blade ad cut off the edges (1/4") off all of the edges and and glue them all back together w/o the inner "block" so you will have an enclosure to mount all the internals. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread