RDA Red residue while dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreams2freedom

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Spring Hill, Florida
www.youtube.com
I am getting a red residue on my wick and all inside of my magma rda clone. It is happening with every juice I have and they are all very clear juices. It even happens with Heisenberg juice, which is blue It is a .5ohm build on a standard 18650 box mod. Do you have any idea why this would happen?

Here are some images...

2014-12-31 13.38.39.jpg 2014-12-31 13.39.30.jpg 2014-12-31 13.43.09.jpg

Thanks

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Howdy,

That looks like the product of too high heat, if you reach the flashpoint of juice then your vaping too hot. Essentially what happens is you atomize the PG and VG faster then the flavoring, the flavoring is left over on the coil and sides after it burns off the coil. This obviously will show as a dark color due to the burning of it, if you run your finger along the inside of your cap you'll find that it has almost a greasy/oily texture I'm sure of this.

Drop your wattage down and or increase the ohms of your coil, either way should work. You'll want atomization and not burn point of the E-Liquid, I never understood why the old timer's would direct draw from the top cap w/o drip tip and would say "Your running your mod too hot", well now being in this for 7 years I understand they were seeing how hot the vapor straight off the coils was (Not saying this is a viable way to see if its right, just saying that is the way they did it).

These are suggestions, as usual take em with a grain of salt.

Sincerely,
Midnight

Dreams2freedom

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Spring Hill, Florida
www.youtube.com
Did you scrub down your magma before you used it? I mean with a good degreasing dish soap? I always do, as there can be machining oil left on the product.

Yes, I have cleaned it really good 4 times. I thought the same thing.

Howdy,

That looks like the product of too high heat, if you reach the flashpoint of juice then your vaping too hot. Essentially what happens is you atomize the PG and VG faster then the flavoring, the flavoring is left over on the coil and sides after it burns off the coil. This obviously will show as a dark color due to the burning of it, if you run your finger along the inside of your cap you'll find that it has almost a greasy/oily texture I'm sure of this.

Drop your wattage down and or increase the ohms of your coil, either way should work. You'll want atomization and not burn point of the E-Liquid, I never understood why the old timer's would direct draw from the top cap w/o drip tip and would say "Your running your mod too hot", well now being in this for 7 years I understand they were seeing how hot the vapor straight off the coils was (Not saying this is a viable way to see if its right, just saying that is the way they did it).

These are suggestions, as usual take em with a grain of salt.

Sincerely,
Midnight

I just had a new coil built at 1.6 ohms to see if that helps. I appreciate the feedback

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Howdy,
Well, I run .5 ohm as well, you said it was an 18650 box mod, 1 battery or 2xStacked (just trying to get idea here).
If its 1 battery then your pushing 34w on a fresh battery, this may not seem like a lot but can run a little toasty, this is also assuming that your using a fresh battery each time and the box is not regulated.
Ok, so....
Lets say its 2xstacked.

4.2v x 2 = 8.4v, if I follow ohm's law and assuming that nothing has changed that is 141.2w on 2 fully charged batteries, that is well beyond the burn point of juice.

Basically what I was saying is to be careful on unregulated mods, if you can't adjust your mod (PV) electronically then you could be playing a cat and mouse game of vaping.
1.6 ohm will yield 44.3w on two fully charged 18650's, so that will drop down the temp to a warm vape, nothing too hot and shouldn't even get close to cooking your juice.

Use this link to adjust your coil to your mod, you'll find it wonderful to get that amazing vape each time. I used to spend seconds on coils and wonder myself, then I realized that the atomizer is in truth the most complex part but the one that can be heaven if you spend just a little extra time on it all.

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,
Midnight

Phassat

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2014
Planet Earth
Wow... This had happened to me since day one and I understand because it is cooked. But I thought that it is also normal.

I like a warm vape and with the warm vape the residue is always burnt dark color.
My orchid is like this at 0.5-1.0 ohm with mechs. The Tobh atty at the same ohm range is also like that. Even an aerotank mega with 1.8 ohm at 12 watts on a vamo is also like that.

Is it dangerous?

I have seen this happen with a couple of flavors, I'm not sure what it means.
The "reddish" coloring seems to show up overnight, and it will do this even if the atty has not been used since adding juice.
I'm pretty sure that this is a reaction between certain flavorings and the air/moisture in the air. Possibly it is some other reaction.

My reddish color change may not be the same as yours, but I have no reason to think the color change that I have experienced is harmful, it has indicated a change in the flavor profile (for the better) of the liquids that I have seen do this.

cha6040

ECF Veteran
I have several drippers, all with builds and wicks in them. With that being said, obviously I don't use them all daily. I notice that same residue if they sit without use with juice in the wicks for more than a day. After I vape on them for a little while the residue goes away and will return after a day or 2 w/o use. Doesn't seem to effect vape experience.

Dreams2freedom

Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Spring Hill, Florida
www.youtube.com
Howdy,
Well, I run .5 ohm as well, you said it was an 18650 box mod, 1 battery or 2xStacked (just trying to get idea here).
If its 1 battery then your pushing 34w on a fresh battery, this may not seem like a lot but can run a little toasty, this is also assuming that your using a fresh battery each time and the box is not regulated.
Ok, so....
Lets say its 2xstacked.

4.2v x 2 = 8.4v, if I follow ohm's law and assuming that nothing has changed that is 141.2w on 2 fully charged batteries, that is well beyond the burn point of juice.

Basically what I was saying is to be careful on unregulated mods, if you can't adjust your mod (PV) electronically then you could be playing a cat and mouse game of vaping.
1.6 ohm will yield 44.3w on two fully charged 18650's, so that will drop down the temp to a warm vape, nothing too hot and shouldn't even get close to cooking your juice.

Use this link to adjust your coil to your mod, you'll find it wonderful to get that amazing vape each time. I used to spend seconds on coils and wonder myself, then I realized that the atomizer is in truth the most complex part but the one that can be heaven if you spend just a little extra time on it all.

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,
Midnight

I do not know if it is stacked, but it has 2 batteries in it. Here is a pic of what it looks like inside the box...

2015-01-02 13.25.43.jpg

Does that look stacked?

Last edited:

dykealiscious

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2014
Seattle
I get this with all juices, all builds. Except tanks (squape and rose). Part condensation, part burn I'm guessing. And I have a lot of gear. Soooo I think it is just part of the game. I rinse my atty every wick change. As for taste, I don't notice any burning. Its worse when I'm using god box consistantly at 60watts (my preferred setting) on .7 ohms dual on dark horse. And I'm also burning through a lot of juice at that wattage so the "residue" as you call it builds up faster. Rinse, vape, repeat.

Sent from a cool but overpriced phone on TapaCrack at yo mama's house.

Stringplucker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Tarentum, PA, USA
I do not know if it is stacked, but it has 2 batteries in it. Here is a pic of what it looks like inside the box...

View attachment 400572

Does that look stacked?

You really should have a mosfet circuit or you will go through switches.

That would be parallel. The positive posts are connected together as are the negative. Stacked would be positive of one battery connected to the negative of the other.

By stacked, you mean serial. You're correct that it's a parallel box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread