Refresh your Cotton wick on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawr

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
Hm. I'd be careful with this one. There's all kinds of yuck in tap water that I wouldn't want to be vaping. I just carry plenty of spare cotton with me, usually in my battery case.

True! Tap water isnt good and even worse is that the hairdryer is probably really filthy and dusty.

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
I guess I am going to get Legionnaires' Disease, MRSA and ebola cause I use regular old cotton balls for my wicks when I am not using rayon, (organic cotton balls wick so poorly! See Phil B.'s video comparison.), tap water, vinegar and even isopropyl alcohol to clean my heads. I have also used coffee pot cleaner but that is too labor intensive to get the heads clean from the cleaner!

I don't think I would use the hand dryer though. I have never really worried about getting them dry. Just put it back in the tank, add some juice, wait for it to wick a bit and go. The water isn't going to hurt the juice one bit since water is used in many VG mixes. The vinegar rinses very clean and leaves no odor or flavor. And vinegar is used in some juice recipes. The first few hits are meh, then the juice takes over and all is good.

I would suggest anyone using isopropyl alcohol be very careful to get it rinsed out thoroughly. I don't think this is healthy at all to vape!

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Cotton burns at 410 F, so it's safe to assume that the coil reaches at least his temperature. I'm curious as to the temperature at which juice actually vaporizes when we use it, as that would inactivate pretty much any bacteria/virus/fungus/pseudomonas that could be present in the juice. I'm also curious as to the actual possibility of contamination by biological organisms in a solution that contains PG, known for its properties against them.

KewelGirl19

Verified Member
May 24, 2014
NA
Well, He did say he was on vacation. I think he meant in a situation where you just don't have access to new cotton. For an emergency type situation. Not as an "everyday, I'm not going to change out my cotton for months now" option. It's easy to say "just bring extra cotton", but I think we've all been in a predicament where we ran out of something or forgot to bring something with us. Or how about if your out and you accidentally drop that last piece of cotton on the dirty floor? He was just giving a little tip on what one could do in a pinch. : )

The issue with tap water isn't microorganisms, it's minerals from the water gunking up your coil. This would be a temporary, emergency solution to get you by for a few hours at best but would end up doing more harm than good in the long run. Really, if you're out and your wick goes bad you could just stop and buy a bag of cheap cotton for a buck.

For the record, the boiling point of PG is 188.2 °C (370.8 °F; 461.3 K) and the BP of VG is 290 °C (554 °F; 563 K). Since we use a mixture, we won't be getting over 188.2 C in our atomizers with liquid that contains any amount of PG at all, or a max of 290 C in 100% VG (not just max VG, flavorings would have to be suspended in VG as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread