Regarding Ultrasonic mixing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
Probably some very dumb questions, but, I just got a unit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0142G8ONC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and am wondering the correct way to:

1. Place my 30ml bottles directly into the basket with no water and just let the fluid in the bottles get mixed by the ultra-whatever?
OR
2. Put some water in the chamber and add my bottles (say 3 or 4) on their sides and hope they don't leak? (If I do this the bottles would be partially submerged.)

Thanks.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I can't answer your questions because I don't use an USC nor anything else to "age" or steep my eliquids. However, there is no such thing as a "dumb question" here on the ECF. So please ask anything you need/want to at any time on anything to do with vaping. There'll always be someone, or several people, who can answer them. :thumbs:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I use USC only at work, not for steeping, so no specifics about steeping.
You need water to conduct ultrasound waves, so they can reach your bottles. It's better to use bottles of the same size for simultaneous treatment. Bottles should be in vertical position, not floating around, not submerged. So, water level in a bath should be just a bit lower than level of juice in bottles.
Basket is optional, you can let your bottles stand on the bottom of a bath.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Probably some very dumb questions, but, I just got a unit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0142G8ONC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and am wondering the correct way to:

1. Place my 30ml bottles directly into the basket with no water and just let the fluid in the bottles get mixed by the ultra-whatever?
OR
2. Put some water in the chamber and add my bottles (say 3 or 4) on their sides and hope they don't leak? (If I do this the bottles would be partially submerged.)

Thanks.
Glass bottles with caps secure, not plastic
Standing, not on their sides
water up to the level of the juice if possible

I used to jiggle my juice for hours (lol) but now I just give it about an hour to thoroughly mix it. Then I let it air with the caps off overnight. I give it another 10 minutes or so again in the morning before transferring to their plastic bottles just to warm it so the transfer is more thorough.

I air mine overnight in a covered sneakerbox to twart any potential flying intruders
I don't ever want to vape a gnat.
My friends actually named this vape-famous badboy "Matt"

nG0GtkE.jpg

Last edited:

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
OMG, you guys are awesome!

So - Glass bottles - Upright - Must use water in the tank - Rubber band together will stabilize - Basket liner in tank not necessary. Okey, dokey.

I am doing this primarily for mixing/shaking and if it speeds the steeping process, that will be an added benefit. But for right now my main thing is to do better at mixing.

Thank you all so much.

PS - forgot to mention, love the gnat. Kind of like the worm in the tequila bottle.

Reactions: Mowgli

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
OMG, you guys are awesome!

So - Glass bottles - Upright - Must use water in the tank - Rubber band together will stabilize - Basket liner in tank not necessary. Okey, dokey.

I am doing this primarily for mixing/shaking and if it speeds the steeping process, that will be an added benefit. But for right now my main thing is to do better at mixing.

Thank you all so much.

PS - forgot to mention, love the gnat. Kind of like the worm in the tequila bottle.
I use the basket in mine.
I'm not sure if bottles jiggling on the UC's "floor" would hurt it but just in case.

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
This unit that I got is only 30 watts and when I test cleaned some jewelry and the blades from my dog clippers, it did a fantastic job. But, when I stand the 30ml bottles upright, the water line only comes up about halfway. Not sure this will do the mixing job I had hoped for. I certainly did not want to spend $80 - 90 on a unit just for mixing my ejuice.
I could mix in a smaller glass jar and then transfer to the ejuice bottles. Kind of adds additional and bothersome step.
I will try it on a batch today and see how it does.
BTW, why shouldn't I use the plastic bottles?

28if

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Outskirts of Detroit Rock City
Mary, My opinion is that you should be fine with half level of water. I myself was surprised at the amount of 'mixing' a UC does.

As for plastic I would worry about what can leach off the material into your liquid. Heat and agitation surely has an affect on the plastic???

I may be wrong but never wanted to take that chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Mowgli

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
Mary, My opinion is that you should be fine with half level of water. I myself was surprised at the amount of 'mixing' a UC does.

As for plastic I would worry about what can leach off the material into your liquid. Heat and agitation surely has an affect on the plastic???

I may be wrong but never wanted to take that chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks 28if!

Reactions: 28if

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
No one mentioned starting with warm/hot tap water. Just my opinion, but that helps speed the process. The UC keeps the water warm throughout the cycle(s) and warm juice speeds the process.
You know I actually started with hot tap water since this USC does not indicate that it heats the water, but after 10 minutes, I thought it was pretty hot. So it does produce some heat while it is running.
How hot is too hot?

Reactions: 28if

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
You know I actually started with hot tap water since this USC does not indicate that it heats the water, but after 10 minutes, I thought it was pretty hot. So it does produce some heat while it is running.
How hot is too hot?
@Kurt the chemist says that up to 150F should be fine

My $30 Harbor Freight el cheapo maintains 135F

Reactions: Dieseler

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
How hot is too hot?

Hot water from the tap is plenty hot enough, maybe little too warm. If you have a dishwasher your hot water heater may be set on 140 degrees already.

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread