Regulation in the face of uncertainty: the evidence on electronic nicotine delivery systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
«Regulators should keep in mind that the target population is smokers who want to reduce or quit their deadly tobacco consumption. To achieve this goal, smokers should be honestly informed on the relative harmfulness of the different products. E-cigs are not tobacco products and are not used as medications. For this reason, a specific regulatory scheme is needed, separate from tobacco or medicinal products regulation.»

https://www.dovepress.com/regulatio...n-electronic-nicot-peer-reviewed-article-RMHP

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm not really liking Dr. F's tone in this article. The more time passes the more I feel that vaping should be available to all, both to smokers and non smokers equally. Especially adults. Non smokers are the only future smokers.

I agree. If there's a scale of TC to THR to no regulation... he's more in between TC and THR but favoring THR. Conley and Rodu are at the opposite end of THR. :- )

Reactions: pennysmalls

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
«Regulators should keep in mind that the target population is smokers who want to reduce or quit their deadly tobacco consumption. To achieve this goal, smokers should be honestly informed on the relative harmfulness of the different products. E-cigs are not tobacco products and are not used as medications. For this reason, a specific regulatory scheme is needed, separate from tobacco or medicinal products regulation.»

https://www.dovepress.com/regulatio...n-electronic-nicot-peer-reviewed-article-RMHP

I would say the way that the abstract reads, and points it chooses to emphasize or even advocate, is showing that eCigs are used for non-prescribed medicinal purposes.

In fact, I would challenge someone to read the abstract and find a sentence that isn't speaking to a medicinal type claim. Let's just start with the quote from @DrMA as place where one could show a medicinal claim is not being made. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread