Reistance Goes Up .3 ohms After Wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
My last two coil builds were stable at .82 & .87 with 28 gauge stainless steel wire before and after wicking.

Today I spent an hour trying to wrap a new coil in the .8 range but when I added the wick, the resistance went up 1.0 ohm. So I wrapped a .6 coil and it went up to .96 after wicking. The resistance jump was registered by both my mod (eleaf iPower) and my ohm meter.

I used enough wick so it would go through smoothly but still be somewhat snug. The coil didn't move around while adding the wick. What am I doing wrong? Should I shoot for a lower ohm rating hoping that it'll go up to where I want it?

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Any contact from the coil in any positions besides the post?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Nope. The coil is suspended with just the ends connected to the posts.

Edit: More strangeness. On the last two coils I built, I get a burnt cotton taste in TC mode but not in wattage mode using the same wattage. The ramp up time is way faster in TC mode. I have not experienced this before. I'm just going to continue vaping in wattage mode for a while and see what happens.

Last edited:

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Try another tank to see if it bounces around still. I'm wondering if something is wrong in the posts not easily seen or felt

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

My other tanks aren't RTAs :( The latest coil I wrapped has been pretty stable. I was shooting for .8. I think the reader initially read it as .85 and the mod has it at .79. Still getting burnt cotton taste in TC mode using same wattage as I use in power mode. Edit: Scratch that. TC seems to be functioning properly now.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Is your pin on the atomizer adjustable/flat head screw? I know you said it's secure, but anything is possible. It could catch the 510 pin on the mod and unscrew slightly. Only other thing I can think of: if you're using too much wick and really cranking it through the coil, you might be moving the individual wraps a bit. If you overtightened the posts, you might have partially snipped a coil leg.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Is your pin on the atomizer adjustable/flat head screw? I know you said it's secure, but anything is possible. It could catch the 510 pin on the mod and unscrew slightly. Only other thing I can think of: if you're using too much wick and really cranking it through the coil, you might be moving the individual wraps a bit. If you overtightened the posts, you might have partially snipped a coil leg.

I checked the 510 on the tank again and I was able to turn the screw a tiny bit until it wouldn't turn any more.

When I screw the coil into the posts, I stop when the ends sticking out start twisting. Not quite sure how much I should tighten the posts.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Are you using "contact coils" or spaced?

Do you experience the same thing with spaced coils?

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. I'm using contact coils. I've never used spaced coils before.

Today, I have started using 26 gauge SS316L hoping that it'll be stronger and not move around as much when I re-wick. I was using 28 gauge. So far so good. The coil started out at .39 ohms on the mod, then gradually went up to .42 and has stayed that way all day and evening. My ohm reader initially read the coil at .41. The only problem is I was trying to wrap a .6 ohm coil. I'll have to practice a bit more :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread