Not open for further replies.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
The ohm reading has been much more stable using 26 gauge SS 316L. If I run into any more problems, I'll try the spaced coil.
Contact coils aren't really meant to be used in TC, a TCR/TFR range chip needs the coils to be spaced to get a consistent reading. Your chip is just taking its best guess at what the temp should be, based on the resistivity of the wire. when you have all the coils pushed together, it changes the resistance, creates hot spots & screws with the reading while power is being applied.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Contact coils aren't really meant to be used in TC, a TCR/TFR range chip needs the coils to be spaced to get a consistent reading. Your chip is just taking its best guess at what the temp should be, based on the resistivity of the wire. when you have all the coils pushed together, it changes the resistance, creates hot spots & screws with the reading while power is being applied.

Thanks I never knew that. That must explain why I've been getting all these different coil readings.

When you wrap a spaced coil, how do you know how far apart the spaces should be? I've never wrapped one before.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks I never knew that. That must explain why I've been getting all these different coil readings.

When you wrap a spaced coil, how do you know how far apart the spaces should be? I've never wrapped one before.
Do your regular contact coil that you've been doing, except do many more wraps & before you take it off the jig, pull it apart by the leads, then push it back together, after that pull a few wraps out of each side till it's the right size and looks nice & neat... That's how I do it anyways.

SS 430 and 316L in single coil are much more accurate above .8 ohms, dual coil you can go much lower... I'm not sure why, probably something to do with the amount of material used... So if single coil, you just need to make enough wraps to go over that resistance, then pull them out untill it fits your deck.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Do your regular contact coil that you've been doing, except do many more wraps & before you take it off the jig, pull it apart by the leads, then push it back together, after that pull a few wraps out of each side till it's the right size and looks nice & neat... That's how I do it anyways.

SS 430 and 316L in single coil are much more accurate above .8 ohms, dual coil you can go much lower... I'm not sure why, probably something to do with the amount of material used... So if single coil, you just need to make enough wraps to go over that resistance, then pull them out untill it fits your deck.

Thanks, I'm going to try this after work. I'd still like to keep the ohms around .5 because I like using lesser wattage.

Any reason why I shouldn't just make the spaces while wrapping the coil on the drill bit?

Last edited:

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
I wrapped a spaced coil with a new piece of RxW and it's taking forever to taste good. It's been over an hour and I'm still getting that papery taste. The RxW is snugly in the coil but not too tight. I saturated it pretty good to the point where there was excess e-liquid but not a whole lot. Disappointing. It tasted great before but I wanted to use a new wick because the previous one had been burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread