Relationship between VG/PG ratio and Ohms for vapor production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbVaper94

Apr 15, 2016
I'm looking to get big thick clouds of out my vape for two reasons 1) flavor and 2) nicotine delivery. I don't like spending 10-12 hits off the mod to get my nicotine needs and I rather take 3-4 large hits and produced the same result.

So my question is, what combination of PG/VG ratio and ohms are best for vapor production? I currently use a 70vg/30pg with .3 ohms at 30 watts. The clouds it produces are very light and while there may be alot of vapor being produced it is very thin and doesn't pack the flavor and nicotine punch I crave. Any suggestions?

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
I'm looking to get big thick clouds of out my vape for two reasons 1) flavor and 2) nicotine delivery. I don't like spending 10-12 hits off the mod to get my nicotine needs and I rather take 3-4 large hits and produced the same result.

So my question is, what combination of PG/VG ratio and ohms are best for vapor production? I currently use a 70vg/30pg with .3 ohms at 30 watts. The clouds it produces are very light and while there may be alot of vapor being produced it is very thin and doesn't pack the flavor and nicotine punch I crave. Any suggestions?

1. Nicotine delivery has nothing to do with the PG/VG ratio. 2. Higher PG % means more "throat hit" and more flavor.

30W is on the low side for a 0.3 ohm build. Try it at ~55W-60W. Higher VG doesn't produce more vapor, it just makes it more visible. You might try 80VG/20PG but keep in mind no. 2 above.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Coils, Wicks, and Vapor Production:
Vapor production comes from a combination of net coil surface area, wicking and juice type, air flow... and the wattage necessary to heat that net coil surface area. If you're lacking in any of those areas, you'll come up short.

Just a few basic points, for your consideration... some IMO, some incontrovertible fact.

• The gauge of wire and overall length of that wire is what determines resistance. Coil count is irrelevant.

• Thicker gauge wire, for a given net resistance, where the finished coil(s) physically fits in the atomizer, provides the greatest surface area.

• Thicker wire, for a given net resistance, runs cooler than thinner wire, for a fixed wattage value.

• For a given net resistance, thicker wire requires more wattage to obtain the same heat flux (coil radiant heat) as thinner wire. Thinner wire, although it reduces surface area, can be used to raise heat flux where adjustable wattage (mech mod) is not an option.

• Higher wattage, for a given net resistance, produces more heat, and requires both better air flow and optimized wicking.

• "In-coil" wicking that is "loose" vs. "tight" is almost always a better choice, as overly tight fits can choke off the capillary action of the wicking medium.

• Plain old cotton balls can be "unrolled" perpendicular to the grain, to produce a flat strip of cotton.

• Always roll cotton wick in parallel with the cotton "grain".

• In an RDA, high VG juice will produce thicker "cloud" density.
(--Thanks to State o" Flux)

Reactions: 7sixtwo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread