Relaunch of CASAA's Testimonials Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchy2k

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Left Coast
Posted my sorry story of manufacturing my own cigarettes after April 2009 and finding elite tobaccos were available thanks to Obama and his April first joke. Those tobaccos were so well picked and cased, I would have never quit the sublime tobaccos I was introduced to without DIY e-liquid.

Anyone need a Top-O-Matic cigarette suffer?

Last edited:

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Anyone need a Top-O-Matic cigarette suffer?

I had one of those. I did the RYO thing for a couple of years previous to quitting cigarettes. Got pretty good at it too! Then our corrupt greedy government closed the loop by taxing online bulk tobacco sales and shipping.

Both political parties are corrupt. I'll be 62 this year and have observed both parties too long to buy either's propaganda.

MrSparkle

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Chicagoland
Submitted my testimony today, even with my real name - which is rare for me online. That's how much I care about Vape World. :)

EDIT: I'll add the text. Maybe it can serve as a model for some. I deliberately stuck to my own experience using the suggestions on the page, and limited any opinion or political / economic pontification, except for the mild paragraph at the end.

------------------------------------------------------------

First off, I'd like to share a quote:

“The public health authorities never mention the main reason many Americans have for smoking heavily, which is that smoking is a fairly sure, fairly honorable form of suicide.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Welcome to the Monkey House

I'm 47, and started smoking regularly at 21 - so that's 26 years. I was a pack a day smoker the first 16 or so years, then close to 2 packs a day for the last 10 years.

I've read that it's been shown that folks with mental health issues and / or depression tend to smoke heavily. I know I did in the face of a long term, but basically undiagnosed and untreated state of depression those last 10 years. I'll spare the gory detail.

I've also read two other very important things:

- Our society has been conditioned to believe nicotine is "addictive", due the act of smoking. Nicotine in itself is not addictive, no more so than caffeine. One can possibly become dependent on either, but not "addicted" in the textbook definition of the word.

- That nicotine can potentially help those with mental health, cognitive impairment, or depression issues, and it's perhaps why they do smoke so heavily - they're self-medicating.

Just under 2 months ago as of this writing did I start investigating and using a smoke-free alternative. It was largely due to financial constraints - cigarette smoking was becoming prohibitively expensive at a two pack a day rate. But what tipped it in was self-assessment, the reasons why I was smoking - or more accurately, why I wasn't considering quitting smoking.

Upon research, reviews, and recommendation, I first purchased a pen-style PV device (personal vaporizer), a Joyetech eGo-C Twist, with a Kanger clearomizer tank (for those not familiar with PVs, the eGo is the battery with controls, the clearomizer tank is what holds the fluid and the atomizer). While I was perfectly satisfied with how vapor replaced smoke, the form factor of the pen style wasn't for me.

I then purchased a APV device (Advanced Personal Vaporizer, or mod) in the form of the very small Joyetech eGrip, a regulated, all in one APV containing the battery, controls, tank, and atomizer. I've found this device to perform well, very convenient / portable, and dare I say stylish / unoffensive.

Due to the wide range of hardware (devices) and software (fluid) on the market, I was very quickly able to find a device and a nicotine strength in a fluid to find a nicotine level comfortable for me, now at a risk level orders of magnitude lower than cigarettes. I started at 24 mg/ml, but have already dropped to 12 ml/mg.

All of the above has, quite frankly, allowed me to not consider smoking even one cigarette in just under two months, and I really have no desire to do so again. I bought the eGo late in the afternoon, and only had two cigarettes the rest of the day - one in the car on the way home (due to habit), and one that night, as a gauge of nicotine levels, and a farewell of sorts.

I did try a nicotine patch treatment for a short time around 2004, but found them less than ideal - I was constantly aware of the presence of the patch, it would fall off, my sleep was affected, and it did nothing to modify the hand-to-mouth habit. I never tried "cold turkey" as I was fearful of the mood swings and withdrawal reports, and even more fearful of Chantix and other pharmaceuticals due to the scary label warnings of side effects, and the adverse behavior associated with it.

Already in these two months, I've seen better health - light headedness from physical activity is on the wane, breathing is much easier and phlegm much reduced (almost non-existent in fact), my skin looks better overall, and moreover, I honestly cannot find one negative health attribute from using the personal vaporizer.

Most importantly, my mental health is improving every day.

I strongly urge those in legislative positions reading this to consider my testimony above, and to consider this: the impending regulation of the smoke-free alternative industry will greatly affect smokers considering quitting - they are going to lose freedom of choice and opportunity.

Thank you for reading and warm regards,
Dan

Last edited:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Submitted my testimonial yesterday, using my real name. Why not ? :D

Mine is a little different, my dentist got me started on disposables after extracting two molars. Anyone who has tried to smoke an analog immediately after an extraction knows its like having a spike driven into your head ... :shock:

My dentist had started vaping about a year earlier, when fussy patients complained that they could smell smoke on his clothes. One patient was concerned about "third-hand smoke". What utter nonsense ... :facepalm:

Tried to keep the story non-technical, just a positive testimonial for vaping. Didn't want to confuse non-smoking/non-vaping readers with the terminology that ECF members learn as we go. The Puritan prohibitionists among them will be suspicious if vaping seems enjoyable. Probably better to just stress the obvious health benefits ... :)

The fact that vaping is also a fun hobby can be our little secret ... :laugh:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Have you gotten your story in?
We all have one and each one is remarkable in that we all are the same yet different.
Who knows? Your story might be the one that actually touches someone's heart and makes that difference in how we, as a group of individuals, are perceived.

Please consider writing what vaping has done for you.

Thank you in advance for contributing :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Question:

I mentioned this to my wife. She never smoked and doesn't vape, but been living with smokers all of her 50+ years (she'd shoot me if I gave away her actual age). She said she would like to give her story having been with me smoking for 40 years. It says they review before publicizing, but wondering if that is acceptable.
I certainly don't see why not.

I submitted mine a long time ago.
And my wife, a non-smoker, submitted one as well.
:)

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Question:

I mentioned this to my wife. She never smoked and doesn't vape, but been living with smokers all of her 50+ years (she'd shoot me if I gave away her actual age). She said she would like to give her story having been with me smoking for 40 years. It says they review before publicizing, but wondering if that is acceptable.

You don't have to give her age, but is she younger or older than OlderNDirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread