Reliable 18650 Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
For longevity, a Provari on sale. It isn't flashy with features, but what it does, it does very well. It has excellent power management for its lower watts, very good components, and built very well. A long warranty that is rarely used and repairs are fast...if ever needed. One 18650 battery and very damage resistant. It is simple and very good for what I believe you are asking.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I am going to hold off on the Mech until I familiarize myself with them. Don't want to burn my pretty face.lol I did order the Blemished Gold Provari for 50 bucks though. Thanks so much for that I probably would not have seen it. You guys/gals are so great and the maturity level here is just fantastic.

For longevity, a Provari on sale. It isn't flashy with features, but what it does, it does very well. It has excellent power management for its lower watts, very good components, and built very well. A long warranty that is rarely used and repairs are fast...if ever needed. One 18650 battery and very damage resistant. It is simple and very good for what I believe you are asking.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I think you got lucky. I just saw the advert. $49.99 is very good since it it is not a mini. People say that the blemish is often hard to find. And it has been reviewed and tested. The warranty, etc. is all there. For 50 clams, good deal.

Someone above listed Illium for batteries. That is where I get mine. I recommend a second battery and a charger. That way when one battery is charging, you are vaping on the other.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks Frenchy.Neil is my new best friend for finding and posting that deal/steal.I have 5 Mods now so rotation is not an issue for me.I do seem to have a hoarding issue though.I don't see any AW batteries on that site.I purchased an Xtar 1 slot mini charger.I have been using Li Ion batteries for quite some time in my RC Planes and cars.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: mauricem00

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
You can get LG 18650 HE2 20A 2500 mAh button tops from Illumn.com for $5.25. I'm thinking about trying them next time I order some batteries.
ETA: They carrry but are currently backordered on the HG2 20A 3000mAh version, which is also a good battery.

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I grabbed the white stormtrooper version of the subox mini kit on sale at Gearbest for 36 bucks! I really like the look and feel of it.The finish on it is fragile at best which makes my eye twitch a little.:(
Check your Subbox (KBox Mini) mod to see what atty's you have that will fire. Many will not, which is why I switched to the Evic VTC Mini as a low priced vapocalypse item. When the zombie's are ruling the earth I don;t want to worry about what toppers work with which mod :)

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
So will any button top 18650 batteries with at least a 20 amp discharge work with the Provari 2.5?
Yes, as long as they are UNprotected, and in fact the P2.5 will draw a max of about 4.5A so even a 10A battery will work. You want IMR or INR chemistry (not ICR).

Here is a good guide to good vape batteries: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

ETA: If you want to use the cells in your KBox Mini or other 50-70W devices then of course you want 20A.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I was just reading a review where the guy was checking that. Of the ones he tried they all worked just fine. Some rbas and rtas will not of course but I only use mine with the Subtank mini it came with. I must color coordinate as per my OCD condition lol. I have an Evic on the way as soon as the Chinese people finish barking at the moon.:)
Here's the list for anyone curious which tanks will work with the kbox.
Atlantis 2: works
Nautilus Mini: works
Arctic: works
Delta 2: works
Freemax Starre: works
Cown by Uwell: works
OBS T-VCT: works
Matrix: works
Isub-G: works
Herakles: works

Last edited:

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Yes, as long as they are UNprotected, and in fact the P2.5 will draw a max of about 4.5A so even a 10A battery will work. You want IMR or INR chemistry (not ICR).

Here is a good guide to good vape batteries: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
I have Moochs blog bookmarked but you made it easy for me to be lazy.lol Thanks alot.As usual you answered both my questions even though I only asked 1 of them. You rock!

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Thanks again for your help. Is it OK to get a clone as the real one is pricey. Any particular brand of clone I should look for?

I found a site the other day that had dozens of what I believe are clones due to the prices. I don't own any clones, but after having seen a few YouTube reviews on clones I'm thinking it may be fine to buy one. I do not expect build quality to be as good...but from what I saw in the videos they didn't look bad.

The site is called Focal Ecig: mech mods.

If anyone has had a bad experience with this company please let me know in a PM as I may miss the message in this thread.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    have you looked at these Sigelei 50 watt V2 Box Mod they should be plenty of power for a tootle puffer. I've used mine on my protankII at 7 watts without any problems. I prefer a mechanical mod even though I never vape above 15 watts and have gotten reliable service out of these for the past 10 month https://www.fasttech.com/product/2228800.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 19, 2015
    I just want to thank everyone again for your advice/help. I received my Provari 2.5 and it is very nice.It does have a bit of haze near the top cap but you really have to look hard to see it.I also have an Evic on the way as well as a Stingray X.I have done alot of reading on mech's and think I have a pretty good grasp of the do's and don't's.:rules:

I purchased a pair of Vct4's for it and a new ohm reader from USA Ohm readers.I of course will not be using any coils under 1.0 because I am the nervous type and tootle puffer.I also think those that chase big clouds are obviously trying to compensate for something.:) Thanks again everyone!!:thumb:

Reactions: edyle

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 5, 2013
    I am looking for a good reliable mod that uses an 18650 battery/batteries.I would like to be prepared for the vapocolypse.Please post your personal experience with long lasting dependable mods.I would like to stay below $100.00 and temperature control is not something I am interested in.I am a tootle puffer who rarely vapes over 20 watts.Thanks in advance for your time.

If you want to stay below $100 you will find yourself pretty much limited to clones, and reliability is a crap-shoot with those. In my own experience the most reliable 18650 mods I have owned are authentic Poldiacs, but they aren't made anymore owing to the economic crisis in Greece. Then too they are mechs, and you didn't specify what sort of mod you were looking for. Regulated or mechanical?

If regulated you have to be prepared to deal with future electronics failures with redundancy, which is to say, have more than one on hand, 3 or 4 would be wise. If mechanical you will want spare parts, all you can stockpile. Personally I don't take the vapocalypse idea seriously and have yet to dig my bunker, but I do have 4 Poldiacs, 14 gennies, a slew of assorted clone mechs, and a huge store of nicotine and DIY supplies.

If it does come to that you can bet the vaping black market will crank up fast, and it will become a matter of your connections and cash reserves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread