Not open for further replies.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I purchased the Reload RTA from Evcigarettes and at first it worked great, at least for a short while. The flavour was great and so were the clouds. But after a week or so it started to short so I changed the coil. That coil worked and then that coil started to short as well.

Ive since tried to change the coils two more times and these coils are shorting right from the beginning. What is going on with my Reload!? Both coils were fused claptons.

One thing I noticed was that the grub nuts are not screwing in until they are completely tight. This was the case with two of them and I changed the grub nuts with some of the spares and they seemed to tighten at least adequately. Despite this, I was still getting a short.

I paid more for this RTA than I do with most gear but I've never used an RTA or RDA where the grub nuts or screws didn't tighten up properly.

This is also my first postless deck so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Are the legs of the coil supposed to bottom out and touch the bottom of the postless deck or are they supposed to only make contact with the walls inside the posts and not touch the base? I have mostly tried the former - pushing them in until the legs go down no more.

When I get this mod right it's a wonderful vape but I've had more problems with the Reload than any other RTA/RDA I've ever owned.

Regards

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I've got 4 Reload RTA's, no issues with any of them. Check the 510 pin, the insulator, insure no shards from your lead clippings, etc.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking maybe shards from the lead clippings. I might stick it in the ultrasonic cleaner.

My other concern is how I am placing the leads. Are they supposed to touch to the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I never really thought about if my coils were bottoming out on these post less decks, so I couldn't say if that causes a problem or not. I do have slightly more trouble getting the screws tightened down on the legs, so once I do the initial coil install, I'll vape a little bit and then tighten them again for good measure. If you are not getting hot legs when you first install the coil then all should be good. Just make sure you are not getting any movement from your coil. I think there is a little bit of a learning curve on these decks. Maybe check every so often that the screws are tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthonyB

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Many of the prewound Clapton coils have extremely long legs.
    If one of the legs on positive posts goes in deep enough it could hit somewhere and ground out on the atomizer.
    Trim the legs of your coils so they go just past the grub screws so there's no chance of legs going in too deep grounding out.

Even though the post is insulated from rest of atomizer,if the coil leg goes in deep enough it can touch the grounded part of atomizer.
    If one coil shorts out they all short out.

benley73

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 2, 2016
    Swap out your Grub screws , there cheap enough to replace ,
    Check your 510 connection , maybe strip down your whole deck dismantling the the posative side of the deck strip it down completely , and check all insulators , then reassemble the whole deck , the 510 and isolator make sure both are installed correctly and tight once reassembled ,

Leads touching bottom of decks once screwed in to the post holes.
    should make no difference since these are isolated parts of the deck for + - connection

Most likely lose 510 or insolation around 510 , a strip Down clean rebuild usually fixes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    I never really thought about if my coils were bottoming out on these post less decks, so I couldn't say if that causes a problem or not. I do have slightly more trouble getting the screws tightened down on the legs, so once I do the initial coil install, I'll vape a little bit and then tighten them again for good measure. If you are not getting hot legs when you first install the coil then all should be good. Just make sure you are not getting any movement from your coil. I think there is a little bit of a learning curve on these decks. Maybe check every so often that the screws are tight.

Many of the prewound Clapton coils have extremely long legs.
    If one of the legs on positive posts goes in deep enough it could hit somewhere and ground out on the atomizer.
    Trim the legs of your coils so they go just past the grub screws so there's no chance of legs going in too deep grounding out.

Even though the post is insulated from rest of atomizer,if the coil leg goes in deep enough it can touch the grounded part of atomizer.
    If one coil shorts out they all short out.

I bottom out my coil legs more times than not, that's not the problem

Reactions: AnthonyB

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    Check your 510 connection , maybe strip down your whole deck dismantling the the posative side of the deck strip it down completely , and check all insulators , then reassemble the whole deck , the 510 and isolator make sure both are installed correctly and tight once reassembled ,

should make no difference since these are isolated parts of the deck for + - connection

Most likely lose 510 or insolation around 510 , a strip Down clean rebuild usually fixes

^^^^ This

Reactions: benley73

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 5, 2010
    Sydney Australia

Great advice.

I didn't strip it right down but I did clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner and so far, my current build is not shorting.

I did notice the grub screws which were already installed where not screwing in to a nice tight clamp on the leads. Why is that! This is not a clone, it's an original and expensive device.

When you say change out the grub screws do u mean with the spares or replacements altogether ?

benley73

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 2, 2016
    Great advice.

I didn't strip it right down but I did clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner and so far, my current build is not shorting.

I did notice the grub screws which were already installed where not screwing in to a nice tight clamp on the leads. Why is that! This is not a clone, it's an original and expensive device.

When you say change out the grub screws do u mean with the spares or replacements altogether ?

Buy replacement they tend to still use cheap grubs that strip easy ,
    Glad you got it working by the way [emoji108][emoji106]

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    I purchased the Reload RTA from Evcigarettes and at first it worked great, at least for a short while. The flavour was great and so were the clouds. But after a week or so it started to short so I changed the coil. That coil worked and then that coil started to short as well.

Ive since tried to change the coils two more times and these coils are shorting right from the beginning. What is going on with my Reload!? Both coils were fused claptons.

One thing I noticed was that the grub nuts are not screwing in until they are completely tight. This was the case with two of them and I changed the grub nuts with some of the spares and they seemed to tighten at least adequately. Despite this, I was still getting a short.

I paid more for this RTA than I do with most gear but I've never used an RTA or RDA where the grub nuts or screws didn't tighten up properly.

This is also my first postless deck so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Are the legs of the coil supposed to bottom out and touch the bottom of the postless deck or are they supposed to only make contact with the walls inside the posts and not touch the base? I have mostly tried the former - pushing them in until the legs go down no more.

When I get this mod right it's a wonderful vape but I've had more problems with the Reload than any other RTA/RDA I've ever owned.

Regards
    This should be in the rebuildable atomizer subforum, you'll get more responses. Tag your original post and ask a moderator to move the thread.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread