Removing sugar but not flavor...... suggestions?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hendricks

May 17, 2017
I am pretty new to this but am learning. I would like to make e-liquid using candy but don't know how to remove the sugar without removing flavor. I have tried the sugar rock candy method using a string to grow cristals on it but that was a fail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the sugar from candy without removing the flavor? I was thinking of filtering it out but I don't know of a filter that would work without removing the flavor.

Chris Hendricks

May 17, 2017
I would like to cut the cost of buying e-liquid by making them instead and that would include making flavors as well. I'm looking at working on getting a juice master license and want to do this sort of thing as well and not rely on premade flavors. Pulse I have a huge stash of candy and would like to use it for something other than eating it but I don't want the sugar to gum up my coils.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
In a nutshell? Perhaps. But the cost of extracting natural flavors from candy does nothing more than reinvent the wheel. Flavorings are cheap.

And if someone is telling you there's a Juice Master License, they also have a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Try the available flavorings before you spend a lot of time using natural ingredients. After all, the candy makers use the same flavorings that are used in flavoring ejuices. We all started with Lorann's cake and candy flavorings at the outset to flavor DIY juices.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So my friend claiming to have a juice master license is probably lying to me?!

Google doesn't know about it in relation to DIY ejuice. It did reveal your post in this thread, though.

There are businesses who throw around the term Juice Master and sell actual fruit juice and deliver it to your door. They just license people to be associated with their company and deliver fruit juice concoctions to the public. Sounds a little like Amway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenna

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I'm just wondering if there is a way to do this.

There may be a way to do it but it may take longer to get to what you want and may be just as much in cost than it would just to buy the flavoring you are wanting in a concentrate. I mean they aren't expensive at all so I don't understand why you would want to go the hard and longer way to get to the same end goal with a flavor mixed into making your finished juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Before you spend a lot of time with extraction methods, try some of these. It's common among DIY juice makers here on ECF. Just make sure that you verify that the flavors you buy are water soluble (contain no oil). The company name is Lorann Oils, but they reveal which flavors contain oil and those that are water based. Oil is a no-no in inhaled vapor. Oil was removed from nose drops 50 years ago because it coats lung tissue.

The link below is a search result for water based flavors

Product Search | LorAnn Oils

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Let me make a guess - Your friend supposedly got his "Juice Master License", and now he's telling you that you can get yours, too...for a fee, of course? Then that will supposedly qualify you for some business endeavor you're interested in?

I'd skip that for sure! I'd just start buying the well-known, tried and true flavorings from many of the companies that most people use to make their own DIY eliquids.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
If I understand correctly, you want to, for example, extract just the sugars from a watermelon Jolly Rancher (hard candy), which contains:

SUGAR
CORN SYRUP
MALIC ACID
CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: NATURAL FLAVOR AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR
SODIUM LACTATE
ARTIFICIAL COLOR
LECITHIN

FTSOA, let's assume that the flavor extracts used by Hershey's are vape friendly (not oil based), though in reality we have no idea of their composition. Let's also assume you can deal with the Lecithin, which has to be removed as its composition is oil based. Lecithin - Wikipedia . The artificial color...I don't know how you could isolate/eliminate that, but let's also assume it's possible (or that you're willing to ignore recommendations not to inhale artificial colors). The Sodium Lactate, maybe it's ok to not worry about it? Sodium lactate - Wikipedia Or maybe the question mark should itself be a red flag.

The Malic Acid itself is no problem. So now, you're chasing after the component that comprises 2% or less of the total product. Asuming you could safely isolate it from the other stuff, how many Jolly Ranchers would it take to yield enough flavoring for an eliquid? Typical ratios we use of concentrated flavoring extracts range from 2% to 20% or more. Notwithstanding the unknown condition of the extracted extract after it's gone through all the heating necessary to isolate it. Should we say 2lbs of candy = 10 ml of extract, just as a ballpark estimate?

Jolly Rancher Watermelon 2lbs = $15.89 (Today's price on AZN with Prime shipping)

10 ml Lorann Watermelon (colorless version) = $1.75 Bull City Flavors
10 ml TFA Sour (20% Malic Acid, 80% PG) $1.75 BCF Bull City Flavors
Total: $3.50

So just assuming (this is a huge assumption, I personally don't think it's possible to do it in an economical way) it's possible to safely extract just the flavoring from Jolly Ranchers and end up with 10 ml of usable flavoring matching the performance of what you can buy for 1.75/10 ml (not the cheapest price by far, BTW), and without including the cost of time and materials needed to perform the extraction, and without including the cost of additives you'd need (nic, VG/PG, bottle) to yield a finished eliquid in both cases, where is the cost savings in extracting flavoring from candy vs. starting out with the product you'd (theoretically/assumedly) end up with anyway?

Edit: I used Lorann's watermelon as an example simply because I've read here that it's closest to a watermelon Jolly Rancher, but the figures apply to any of the domestic watermelons available from TFA, CAP Purilium, etc.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'd skip that for sure! I'd just start buying the well-known, tried and true flavorings from many of the companies that most people use to make their own DIY eliquids.

I agree, JC. Flavorings have a long history of research and development and user feedback. Forget making your own unless there's no retail alternative. Read reviews here on ECF and try the ones you think you'd like.

TO: Chris Hendricks

Chris, it's fine to play around with making your own, but you miss out if you don't at least try the flavors you like before setting out to beat down a new path.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Just wanted to add, Jolly Rancher hard candies are about as basic as it gets for candy ingredients. What if you want to use Skittles instead:
Ingredients: Sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated palm kernel oil; less than 2% of; citric acid, tapioca dextrin, modified corn starch, natural and artificial flavors, colors (titanium dioxide, blue 2 lake, yellow 5 lake, red 40 lake, yellow 6 lake, blue 1 lake, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, blue 1), sodium citrate and carnauba wax.

or Starburst:
Corn Syrup, Sugar, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil and/or Palm Oil, Citric Acid, Apple Juice from Concentrate, Less than 2% Dextrin, Gelatin, Sodium Citrate, Food Starch-Modified, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Coloring (Blue 1, Yellow 6, Red 40, Yellow 5).

Sugars, oils (especially oils, which is why I bolded them), artificial colors, carnuba wax(?!), and the various additives/preservatives in candy are not conducive to vaping. That's why we use just the extracts. Doesn't make sense to go through the effort of extracting from a finished product the one raw ingredient you already have access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread