Reo Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbarrick

Moved On
May 24, 2014
Alabama
Reo Alternative

I am a flavor chaser. Looking for a Reo Alternative $200 (w/atty) is a lot of money to get set up. I looked at the VMOD / XL, and I don’t think the flavor would come close. I am watching the classified, may have to go that route to save a few bucks. Also asking around for a custom bottom feeder mod. Why is there no competition for the Reo, or maybe I just have not found them yet. I just don’t have that kind of money let from my SS check. My wife told me getting old is not for sissies. Any ideas, I would like to stay under $75:confused:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Make your own like I did. This bottom feeder cost about $12 for materials including the aluminum stock, 510 top cap, micro USB charger and neo magnets. With the AW battery and Magma clone, the total cost was well under $50.00 and it works every bit as good as a Reo with the additional benefit of the charger. :)
WP_20140909_002[2].jpg WP_20140909_003[2].jpg WP_20140909_004[1].jpg

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Make your own like I did. This bottom feeder cost about $12 for materials including the aluminum stock, 510 top cap, micro USB charger and neo magnets. With the AW battery and Magma clone, the total cost was well under $50.00 and it works every bit as good as a Reo with the additional benefit of the charger. :)
View attachment 375735 View attachment 375736 View attachment 375737

That is awesome! Where did you get your materials?

OP, check out the Kato mod. There are plenty of clones and it has the same function.

I, on the other hand, am up to buy a reo. From what I hear, that $200 is well worth it and it will be the last mod you ever buy.

jbarrick

Moved On
May 24, 2014
Alabama
View attachment 375735 View attachment 375736 View attachment 375737

Very nice, I love it!! I wish I hade the talent to made one of those!!

How is the Magma BF flavor vs Dripper?

Last edited:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
How is the Magma BF flavor vs Dripper?

-I dripped with the Magma for a month before converting it to a bottom feeder. It works great for BF. It has such a huge capacity that one big squonk will last for a very long time! It was as simple as drilling a 1/16" hole in the center pin. That's it!

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
-I dripped with the Magma for a month before converting it to a bottom feeder. It works great for BF. It has such a huge capacity that one big squonk will last for a very long time! It was as simple as drilling a 1/16" hole in the center pin. That's it!

Seriously?!

I'm going to have to look into getting this done for one of the 3 that I have. My 2 year plus BF Era is too restrictive to be much use these days on the Grand.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Seriously?!

I'm going to have to look into getting this done for one of the 3 that I have. My 2 year plus BF Era is too restrictive to be much use these days on the Grand.

Find a friend or a shop that has a metal cutting lathe. It is a simple procedure that takes about a minute. The tolerances are quite close when drilling this hole so if you can do this with a hand drill or even a drill press, consider yourself lucky. center pin drilling.jpg

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
Hey JD...

Did you drill the pin out of a genuine magma or a clone?

I just ordered 2 clones, an infinite clone and a cheaper black one.... Plan to drill them out with a #56 jobber bit on the drill press.

I have a cobalt 1/16" bit but dont trust my drillpress or myself with such little tolerances lol.

How hard was the pin to drill through? was it solid stainless or plated brass? Did you use cutting oil or coolant?

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
Hey JD...

Did you drill the pin out of a genuine magma or a clone?

I just ordered 2 clones, an infinite clone and a cheaper black one.... Plan to drill them out with a #56 jobber bit on the drill press.

I have a cobalt 1/16" bit but dont trust my drillpress or myself with such little tolerances lol.

How hard was the pin to drill through? was it solid stainless or plated brass? Did you use cutting oil or coolant?

I did it on a lathe. I started the drilling with a very small center drill, than finished it off with a new 1/16" cobalt bit. It seemed to be all stainless, not brass. I backed the drill out frequently and used water to make sure it did not overheat. This was a Magma clone from FastTech, which works great. I also turned down the air flow ring so it is flush.

I think it would be virtually impossible to drill this without a lathe. Find a friend with a lathe. It takes all of maybe 3 minutes to do. :)

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
I did it on a lathe. I started the drilling with a very small center drill, than finished it off with a new 1/16" cobalt bit. It seemed to be all stainless, not brass. I backed the drill out frequently and used water to make sure it did not overheat. This was a Magma clone from FastTech, which works great. I also turned down the air flow ring so it is flush.

I think it would be virtually impossible to drill this without a lathe. Find a friend with a lathe. It takes all of maybe 3 minutes to do. :)

Thanks for the info... unfortunately Im the most shop tool literate of my friends and fam...lol

Oh well, i ordered several #56 jobber bits and know quidsworth on here has done one with this method.
I ordered 2 incase I screw one up ill try dremeling a channel maybe on the second one.

I wish someone on here with a lathe would sell bottomfeeder ready posts for various rda's.... might be a good side job for someone

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
I drilled out my Magma with a #54 bit and dremel on the dremel work station, using a vice to hold the screw. One thing I did differently was to pick up some S.S. screws with a hex head as Ace hardware. I had to use the redneck lathe (drill holding the screw, against the dremel holding a stone bit) and narrow down the head of the screw a bit to fit the 510 and add a small o-ring under the head(kayfin lite fill screw o-ring) to seal the 510. Took about 10 min and works perfectly :) IMG_20140912_015220.jpg
One the subject of lathe work, I would be interested in a S.S. Fogger 4 center pin if anyone makes them... have a Fogger but I don't use it because it's a brass pin :(

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
I drilled out my Magma with a #54 bit and dremel on the dremel work station, using a vice to hold the screw. One thing I did differently was to pick up some S.S. screws with a hex head as Ace hardware. I had to use the redneck lathe (drill holding the screw, against the dremel holding a stone bit) and narrow down the head of the screw a bit to fit the 510 and add a small o-ring under the head(kayfin lite fill screw o-ring) to seal the 510. Took about 10 min and works perfectly :) View attachment 379735
One the subject of lathe work, I would be interested in a S.S. Fogger 4 center pin if anyone makes them... have a Fogger but I don't use it because it's a brass pin :(

Good work!

I dont have a dremel work station but have a dremel, a drill press with vice on drill platform, and a tiny old sears tabletop drillpress that is surprisingly good and slop free with small things like this.....

So is the dremel workstation that thing that holds the dremel like a small drillpress?
So you drilled the pin with it out of the tank?
Was your #54 jobber just regular high speed steel or was it cobalt?

Smallest cobalt i have it 1/16" but have various hss jobber bits.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Good work!

I dont have a dremel work station but have a dremel, a drill press with vice on drill platform, and a tiny old sears tabletop drillpress that is surprisingly good and slop free with small things like this.....

So is the dremel workstation that thing that holds the dremel like a small drillpress?
So you drilled the pin with it out of the tank?
Was your #54 jobber just regular high speed steel or was it cobalt?

Smallest cobalt i have it 1/16" but have various hss jobber bits.

Correct, it does turn it into a drill press, but also hold the dremel at any angle out to the side. So, I used it to not only drill the hole, but also to help me "mill" the side of the screw head. I chose the hex head screw as I felt I would get a better seal without having the slots (flat blade screw) exposed on the edges. Can't comment as to if it is better or not though... never made one with a slotted head.
The drill I used was/is a Irwin high speed steel wire guage bit >> Irwin® No.54 High Speed Steel Wire Gauge Drill Bit - Wire Gauge Bits - Ace Hardware
and I got the work station on amazon here >> Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station - Power Rotary Tool Accessories - Amazon.com
I also used this cutting fluid >>Tap Magic EP-Xtra Metal Cutting Fluid Not sure where to buy it, used it at a place I used to work building truck, got hurt at work and was left over in the tool box when I brought it home. Figured if it works to cut 1.25 inch holes in truck frames a tiny hole was nothing :) lol
The O-ring I added was because the clone I had, had a thicker head on the screw. the new screw I made needed it to space the screw out and helps with sealing the liquid in.
Also, on my dremel I have this chuck >> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05ZPPXJ37GF44T03W219 It lets me use a wide variety of shanks and bits, not sure if it's needed to use a drill bit, but thought I'd mention it.

Edit: I misspoke.... I found the drill wrapper and it's all the same drill info (make and type) but it's a #56 bit.

Last edited:

deezdrama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2012
illinois
Cool.... #56 bits are the ones i had ordered. That dremel work station looks nice and price is good but dont know if it will work with my non dremel "rotary tool" plus since i have 2 drill presses i guess ill give that a try.

So you bought a bolt and drilled it out and shaped the head to use for your center pin instead of using the supplied center pin?
That would be a good idea incase one screws up you can just try again without having ruined the original pin.

You dont know the bolt size/thread pitch info for what bolts or screw i would need for the magma do you?

My magmas should be here tommorow so guess i could just take the pin to the bolt shop and have em set me up with a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread