Status
Not open for further replies.

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
Ok here we go..fish tanks over the years

Wow, quite a variety there, I especially like the marine tanks - some great healthy corals there. (and the spider shrimps/clowns too ! )
You must be a very caring aquarist - kudos !
As for the fancy goldfish, understand your feelings although I could never quite bring myself to give them a 'like'

Reactions: keepsmiling

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Thanks Joules. Yeah I am/was a caring aquarist. That's what happened with the fancies. All imports, all carried sinister diseases. All cost me quite a bit of $$, and heartache. My last two tanks were a couple of metaframe 50's small tanks with bettas. But when I began neglecting them{something I would never dream of before} I knew it was time to let them go..I miss them. It was not only a hobby of keeping fish, but an artistic expression for me as well.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
IMG_00000743.jpg
IMG_00000743.jpg
Very nice setups!
Must have been very dedicated as they are beauties! I used to get all creative and build nice setups but then realized how much it was a pain when it came to cleaning so eventually went to simple. Fresh water, 1 big rock as centerpiece and 2 bamboo plants. Simple, looks great and easy to clean!

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Love the fresh water tanks Keepsmiling. Loved how you created the natural look. I used to have a 55 with super bright lighting fused with CO2. The water reached Photosynthesis in no time, and the live plants grew 5 inches in 24hrs. A Banana plant even grew out of the aquarium overnight. Over time, I too lost interest, and eventually sold the tank years ago. But however, I've given serious thought to having another Fresh water 55g with Discus in them. Thanks for posting. :thumb:

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
I admire those of you with live plants in your tanks; very nice. My well water super high ph and very hard and I just don't want to go the CO2 route until I'm totally retired. Here's our 75g and 65g fresh water tanks that are South American. Even with my water I've managed to breed Anglefish, Cory Catfish and Severums over the years.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Those are very nice Scout. Infusing Co2 with super bright lighting did have its rewards. Millions of tiny air bubbles would literally stream from the live plants. The water had so much oxygen in it from the Photosynthesis process. The water was so clear and clean, you could drink it. However, there were problems as well. Anytime you have super bright lighting, you're gonna have to deal with lots of Algae. I ordered lots of stuff from Big Al's to deal with it. I couldn't quite solve all the Algae growth, and it eventually overtook the plants. I eventually grew fatigued and exhausted from the ordeal. A couple of fish died, and other things in life seemed to pop up. Had to sell the 20lb Co2 tank, and eventually sold the aquarium later on.

The only thing that matters is what you and Keepsmiling have - which is very clean and balanced water, and plenty of greenery with beautiful, natural looking wood and rocks. I like Fresh water setup more than Salt water. Although Salt is very nice and very beautiful to look at, there's just something more appealing about the Fresh water setup. I know what it's like to sit for hours, and just gaze at the beauty of creating a natural, healthy habitat and seeing the fish swim. That's what it's really about. Wish I had pictures to show, but I didn't have a digital camera back then.

I admire those of you with live plants in your tanks; very nice. My well water super high ph and very hard and I just don't want to go the CO2 route until I'm totally retired. Here's our 75g and 65g fresh water tanks that are South American. Even with my water I've managed to breed Anglefish, Cory Catfish and Severums over the years.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
The Parrots ( Sunny & Tang)have awesome personality! They are quite the characters. People generally think that fish are boring and just swim around. Not with Parrots! They are constantly interacting with each other chasing, playing, digging, chasing my Feather finned catfish around. They respond to different people different ways. If you are a stranger in the house they actually know when you come up to the tank they will run off and hide. When my lady, or my dog, or myself come up to the tank they come right up front and start dancing around, at feeding time forget it, they go nuts!! They are pigs and grab the food right out of my hands!
I also love my Angels, always have. I have standard finned and super veil tails. They mate, play together but much more mellow than the crazy Parrots.

Reactions: keepsmiling

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
But however, I've given serious thought to having another Fresh water 55g with Discus in them
I do not want to start a huge debate, but a 55 is not even close to enough space for discus. Please go read from discus people about how they keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread