Reo Lovers Pampered Pets & Porkys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honigschmidt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2011
Sacramento Ca
Just took this one yesterday of our lovebird and cat.

...bird is safe. Cat is persistent.
10403312_10206588024280462_6876211567421883801_n.jpg

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
The only fish I love are the kind that hit flukes and Shad Raps..Worms and lizards..The rest are just bait..hehe :p

I like fish,,, fried, baked or broiled. Also, like ceviche, nothing quite like catching a fish and throwing it in a mixture of lime juice with onions and peppers to soak/cook while catching more fish.

Reactions: Sirius

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I like fish,,, fried, baked or broiled. Also, like ceviche, nothing quite like catching a fish and throwing it in a mixture of lime juice with onions and peppers to soak/cook while catching more fish.
Try wrapping some bass fillets in tin foil and grilled..I blacken mine with that already premixed seasoning mix,..(forgot the name but I'll go look if you want me too), and some with lemon pepper..Some I leave along and just let whoever season with lemon and salt..mmmm

Reactions: Gigdujour

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
he is at least 50 lbs underweight & has eye ear and skin infections..he was infested with fleas..missing nearly 50% of his fur from flea allergy

Did you take him in as a rescue?
Bless you! He will be forever grateful and you will have a big huggy bear the rest of his days! Those big brown eyes saying "thank you' every day. You will have to give us an update after he packs on some pounds, full body of fur and wagging tail!! :)

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Thank you Sirius and Rudy. Actually he was on his way to the pound. They would have euthanized him on the spot. He had been roaming the neighborhood for at least weeks from what I can gather talking to friends and a family member who lives down the street.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Great pics and story keepsmiling. What you did is exactly what my girlfriend wants to do. Have enough land and room to open a shelter at a house when we get one for animals like this. Animals being euthanized is sad. I did some research for a class, it said out of 7.6 million animals being taken to a shelter, 2.7 million are euthanized each year.

I can't take in many animals as I want to at the moment, but I wish I could. I fought hard to get a pitbull that was chained up outside and just skin and bones. I wanted to rescue it but wasn't able to do it with where I live. I know someone else just as caring got him and he is 100% healthy now.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Thank you Sirius and Rudy. Actually he was on his way to the pound. They would have euthanized him on the spot. He had been roaming the neighborhood for at least weeks from what I can gather talking to friends and a family member who lives down the street.
That is heartwarming reading about this rescue, good on you! He looks like such a great dog. Looking forward to seeing pics of him as he gets better under your care :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I do not want to start a huge debate, but a 55 is not even close to enough space for discus. Please go read from discus people about how they keep them.

Agree on size, and debate. Back when Discus became the rage in California early 70's I raised a lot of them and built my own breeding tanks and the filtration/heating/lighting systems for them. My 2 car garage was rows and layers of breeding, rearing and community tanks for Discus and many other fresh and salt water species. My first Discus breeding tanks were 100 gallon for a mated pair, but I soon increased the size. My community tanks were 500 with only a few adult discus per tank; those for rearing broods I kept separated in various size tanks as they grew. They all had tempered glass front only for even more privacy, were bare except for fairly large inverted clay pots broken to allow entry, and in the breeder tanks a slab of slate or two also as choices to lay on. No plants, no bottom medium, nothing to induce or promote disease, alter water quality or inhibit total cleanliness. Back then breeder size Discus were very hard to get and very expensive, so you didn't leave anything to chance.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Agree on size, and debate. Back when Discus became the rage in California early 70's I raised a lot of them and built my own breeding tanks and the filtration/heating/lighting systems for them. My 2 car garage was rows and layers of breeding, rearing and community tanks for Discus and many other fresh and salt water species. My first Discus breeding tanks were 100 gallon for a mated pair, but I soon increased the size. My community tanks were 500 with only a few adult discus per tank; those for rearing broods I kept separated in various size tanks as they grew. They all had tempered glass front only for even more privacy, were bare except for fairly large inverted clay pots broken to allow entry, and in the breeder tanks a slab of slate or two also as choices to lay on. No plants, no bottom medium, nothing to induce or promote disease, alter water quality or inhibit total cleanliness. Back then breeder size Discus were very hard to get and very expensive, so you didn't leave anything to chance.
That sounds awesome. I have kept many types, some very difficult who only would eat live food. These are one fish I never got the pleasure of. If I ever went back it would be the one I would want. I do not see that happening though.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
That sounds awesome. I have kept many types, some very difficult who only would eat live food. These are one fish I never got the pleasure of. If I ever went back it would be the one I would want. I do not see that happening though.

I fed all my Discus (and fresh/saltwater fish) live foods. Was easy to use all live food because I lived on an ocean beach, was a Marine Biologist/Scuba diver and had huge wild supplies of brackish water brine shrimp and tubifex worms available a short drive away that I could easily harvest by the gallons and process for use. Most fun those days though was in the tanks I used for specimens collected while diving, observed for a reasonable period that depended on what species, returned them to the exact spot collected with new specimens of different species obtained at the same time. During those years if I had a big enough tank available for it, it spent some time living with me. All inter tidal zone and some deep water species were my favorites though.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
That sounds just fantastic Spydro! The only man I know who successfully kept a Moorish Idol long term would dive to feed him.
Keepsmiling - Looks like a Mastiff! :)

View attachment 459676
That is right! OEM= Old English Mastiff I was told by the mastiff rescue place in FL. He is an apricot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread